Intermittent loss of connectivity to Roon Server and music stops

Reading up on some current info with regard to network configuration under Ubuntu Linux, I seem to grasp the following:

1. From 18.04 onward, Ubuntu uses Netplan, a new network configuration tool.

2. Netplan can be configured to set an interface up directly with static address, or it can delegate management of the interface to one of two network daemons - NetworkManager or networkd.

3. On Ubuntu Desktop, the default is NetworkManager.

4. Conversely, on Ubuntu Server the default is networkd.

5. What we users with the SIGSEGV problem seem to have in common is that our network interfaces are being managed by NetworkManager, or so it seems from looking at syslog where always immediately before the segmentation error NetworkManger was active. This was pointed out by @BlackJack in this thread.

6. Even if we configure on our routers a reserved address for the Roon core server, the NetworkManager-configured interface still may be using DHCP4 calls to the router. To ensure that does not happen, we would have to configure the interface explicitly as static, using Netplan on the server. This is something I did not do on my machine.

7. I initially had installed my server using Ubuntu desktop, so NetworkManager was the default network management tool on my box. I yesterday decided to reinstall the Roon core server using Ubuntu server, so now the default management tool is networkd. It now has been up near 24 hours, and in syslog I haven’t seen any trace of NetworkManager - it isn’t active anymore. It still is little time to tell, but I haven’t had a SIGSEGV in those 24 hours.

8. Even now my network configuration uses DHCP4 calls to the server:

2: enp3s0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc fq_codel      state UP group default qlen 1000
     link/ether 04:d9:f5:f2:f6:aa brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
     inet 10.0.4.116/24 brd 10.0.4.255 scope global dynamic enp3s0
     valid_lft 58251sec preferred_lft 58251sec
     inet6 fe80::6d9:f5ff:fef2:f6aa/64 scope link 
     valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever

9. To turn off completely the use of DHCP4 I would have to configure the interface as static by a configuration file in /etc/netplan, using the YAML syntax demanded by the tool. I won’t do this for the moment, waiting a week or so to watch if under networkd I’ll see similar SIGSEGV events as there were under NetworkManager.

4 Likes