Intermittently, no devices found

Occasionally - very occasionally: about once a week/ten days - I can be in the middle of a session, listening, pause and go to resume and Roon (2.0 build 1223 on macOS 13.2.1) will ‘forget’ which devices are attached to it.

Almost always I only have to wait - perhaps between 5 and 10 seconds - and they will all be ‘found’ again.

Is this a known problem? What causes it? Can I fix it?

TIA!

@Mark_Sealey, to receive appropriate help, it would be really helpful if you could complete the template provided below. Please be sure to include details of your core, network, storage location of your media files, and any messages displayed by Roon. Thank you.

Roon Core Machine

<!‐-Include your operating system and machine info (Model, CPU, RAM)-‐>
<!‐-Write below this line-‐>

Networking Gear & Setup Details

<!‐-Your network gear (model of routers/switches) and if on WiFi/Ethernet, are you using VPN-‐>

Connected Audio Devices

<!‐-Specify what devices you’re using and their connection types, like USB/HDMI/Chromecast, etc.)-‐>

Number of Tracks in Library

<!‐-Tell us how large your music library is, eg. “30,000 tracks”-‐>

Description of Issue

<!-‐Tell us about the problem you’re having in as much detail as possible. Screenshots are always appreciated!-‐>

Including these details in your first post helps resolve your issues faster.

Thanks, @Martin_Webster:

Roon (2.0 build 1223 on macOS 13.2.1)

2017 iMac Pro; 2.5 GHz 14-Core Intel Xeon W; Radeon Pro Vega 56 8 GB; 128 GB 2666 MHz DDR4.

No network; no Wi-Fi; no VPN.

USB to my ParaSound:

176 Albums

Occasionally - very occasionally: about once a week/ten days - I can be in the middle of a session, listening, pause and go to resume and Roon will ‘forget’ which devices are attached to it.

Almost always I only have to wait - perhaps between 5 and 10 seconds - and they will all be ‘found’ again.

TIA!

This can’t be correct; Roon 2.0 requires a network connection to function.

@Martin_Webster, thanks again. (Happy to take this to email with tech support if that’s better for you, the team, other board users etc.)

CAT5 cabling from my iMac’s Ethernet port to AT&T U-verse for internet.

No audio devices ‘networked’ other than from my iMac to my ParaSound stereo system via its preamplifier’s USB port.

Nothing connected via Wi-fi etc…

My iMac is my Core. I rarely listen via my iMac’s speakers (only in short sessions).

When this happens (which as I say is not often) Roon reports that it can find no audio devices.

Maybe I just have to wait for Roon to scan some sort of bus? Could that process actually be dependent on latency to the Internet as well?

The ‘fault’ is intermittent; it always corrects itself.

But as a lifetime subscriber/licencee, I’d just like to know whether there could be anything underlying that could be going wrong and correct it if I can.

Your help appreciated :slight_smile: .

Any ideas, please, @Martin_Webster?

Or should I open a formal tech support ticket?

TIA!

@Mark_Sealey, you’re in the correct place for #support. @support will get to you as soon as possible.

Earlier, you said, “I can be in the middle of a session, listening, pause and go to resume and Roon (2.0 build 1223 on macOS 13.2.1) will ‘forget’ which devices are attached to it.” Does the iMac sleep before resuming?

Thanks, Martin. No; no sleep. Yesterday, after posting my reply, I launched Roon and it seemed to hang at the black and white animated ‘splash’ icon. Quitting and relaunching brought me almost instantly to my Home and Albums screens.

Could it be that Roon momentarily ‘fails’ to read (or that there is otherwise some latency with reading) whatever (part of a) file contains the ‘list’ of necessary/known/attached devices etc?

Hey @Mark_Sealey,

Ben with the support team here, thanks for your patience while we work through each thread! And, thank you to @Martin_Webster for steering us in the right direction so far.

As a next step, we’ll need to examine your core diagnostics. To better do this, we’ll need a timestamp (the specific date and time, as well as name of track) of the next time this dropout happens.

I’ll be on standby for your reply. :pray:

2 Likes

Thanks @benjamin (and @Martin_Webster)… appreciate you’re busy.

I’ll gladly supply what you ask for (and hopefully a screengrab of the errors). But - setting expectations - this is not track-dependent. It can happen at any time, any track, any album. Roon just seems intermittently to ‘forget’ that it has audio devices.

Roon doesn’t forget endpoints, but won’t display them is they are not discoverable or turned off.

I’ll leave you in @benjamin’s capable hands—I am a volunteer moderator and Roon user like you.

It would be really helpful if you noted the date and time this problem occurs.

1 Like

Thanks, @Martin_Webster!

Yes, I’ll definitely collect the exact time and date if/when it next happens. Your help appreciated!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.