Internal Server Error when I try to connect to the Ropieee Pi

Sorry, your reliance on a screenshot belies your age! I’ve explained several times I have not been able to connect with the GUI for configuration at all since the latest series of re-flashing.

To make it clear :-

I can not contact the GUI because port 22 is not open.

Port 22 is for SSH not HTTP which is 80. A screenshot of the web browser pointing to http://92.168.1.15 was requested. I’m assuming from an earlier post that Chrome cannot connect, which is where you copied ‘DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN’?

Also, just to be clear, did you download a new Ropieee image before flashing the SD card? What software did you use?

PS. The port 8080 response is what I get too.

For clarification… SSH (Secure SHell, remote command line / text access to the system) runs on port 22. It’s not enabled by default and needs to be enabled via the GUI…

And, you’re right… if you cannot get the Web / GUI interface (runs on port 80) you’re stuck. It sounds like the web server simply isn’t coming up (would result in a connection reset / connection refused) or isn’t being loaded properly (based on your comments this may be whats happening). All that is very strange on a fresh SD card.

You said you re-imaged multiple times… Have you tried another card? I’m thinking the card you’re using might be faulty. Can you provide a screenshot of your web browser when you go to the web interface? That might be helpful.

Yes, thank you, it’s useful to have a group of people checking your work!

I’m going to try a RopieeeXL install next, my reasoning is a bit thin though. It’s a good job it’s just a hobby :slight_smile:

Thank you all for your help. It is an unusual problem

1 Like

I suggest you start with the latest image.

1 Like

Is that not the one available from here :-

That’s the image I downloaded and flashed to the card.

I’m not providing screenshots because it would require me to learn a new skill! Yes, it’s where I copied the the error message from and since the screen shot would literally be that sentence there’s no point doing it either :slight_smile:

Yes, new Ropieee image.

The next step would be ruling out a corrupt card but I’m using Balena Etcher and it’s verifying the image so how likely is it to be corrupted?

I would need to order some cards and the working week is beginning again so I will struggle to give any time to this for another week.

And to qualify for everyone wanting to know what port 80 returns, the message is simple as I mentioned in the first post -

Internal Server Error

I’m sorry, a screenshot might be forthcoming if I can find time to do it but please imagine those three words in the top left corner of a browser window and you’ve got it.

Hi @Andy_Jones ,

No screenshot necessary. The message means that something is wrong with RoPieee’s webpage.

Just to be sure: you flashed the latest image available from RoPieee HQ, right? I would forget about XL for now, let’s first get things working…

So, does the webpage give this error from the start? So directly after a start of the unit you get this message?

Hi Harry,

Thank you for the reply and also the software :slight_smile:

Yes, I downloaded the version linked on the ropiee.org website which I linked to a few posts ago. I have tried the uncompressed and compressed version.

I’ve followed the steps to the letter, ethernet plugged in, usb dac plugged in after installation.

5 times I’ve had the same result. No webpage.

When I first installed it last summer it went well and has been running since. I don’t know enough about the software to know if any previous installation could affect the new one. From what I’ve read in this sub-forum it seems that a new installation erases anything previously installed.

This leaves corruption of the installation process (possibly sd card) or problems caused by my network. The same network that previously created no problem with installation.

I am scratching my head?!?

I could remove the screen or buy and try installation on a new pi.

Ok, so even after installation you can not reach the webpage?

I’ve created a new beta image for you: https://image.ropieee.io/20210222-ropieee-ose_rpi234-beta.bin

If there’s a problem with the webpage (which I suspect is the case) then this version ‘phones home’ to inform me what’s going on.

If you’re up to it you could give this one a try.

Thanks

Thank you very much for this. I’m downloading it and if I get a chance I will install it before I have to get back to work! If that’s not possible then later today.

There seems to be a problem installing the touchscreen software. It is reporting a hung process which it seems to be repeating. Hopefully it’s sending you this information too :-

INFO task/kworker 3:2:131 blocked for more than 120 seconds
Tainted G C 4.19.65-1-ARCH-#. …

The rest of the message disappeared and the pi’s rebooted. It lasted a long time but I was very slow !

So now it’s rebooted and gone through the initialisation. It’s displaying the connection failure screen and I still can’t connect to the web gui.

Of course, having seen that error message I am tempted to try again without the screen. That will have to wait as my lunch is well and truly over.

Hmmm…

Your unit has pinged home. And it is clear to me why the webpage is failing because it’s timing out on an operation during init. The timeout however is not something I can explain (it is copying something on the filesystem.

Combined with your report on what’s happening while installing the screen there are 3 things that I can think of:

• try to set your unit up without the screen
  • try another SD card (but I think you already tried that)
  • try another Pi

Thanks

Thank you, I’m going to try without screen, then I have to order a spare card if that doesn’t work, maybe while I’m ordering that I order another Pi.

So, success with the screen disconnected. When I reconnect it it works but of course doesn’t go through the init to set up the screen as a remote screen.

This doesn’t rule out the SD card as a bottleneck during init and without a second card to hand it will take me time to diagnose.

I may try again from init with the screen connected but there’s nothing changed that would suggest that could work.

If anyone has any idea why installing the screen software would cause a problem I’m happy to hear it.

Hmmm…

Well at least something is working now :wink:

Indeed unclear what is the cause. What kinda power supply are you using?

The white branded PiHut one. Jumpers to the screen not separate power. SD card is seeming more likely, maybe damaged sectors? Would think that Balena might pick that up. I’m sure most of the people who have helped so far would find a spare easily, I don’t know why I don’t have any.

Thank you to everyone who helped out too. I have learnt quite a bit about how these things work in this thread.

2 Likes

My guess is a bad SD card too. Just remember you cant boot up and install without the display connected then plug it in later…it has to be connected at the installation time of a freshly flashed SD card booting up for the first time.

Yes, I realised that. The screen does still show the boot process without proceeding to the remote stage though.

I wish I knew more about the SD card condition but I can’t even see them in Disk Utility atm which might be another limitation of my outdated sd card infrastructure.