InternalStorage folder is repeating/nesting

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
NUC i7 with internal 2TB SDD for music storage running ROCK V1.6 directly connected via USB !to Audio-gd DAC

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Wired Telus router for music distribution and wireless Samsung tablet for remote.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Description Of Issue
Something is very wrong with the file system… my albums are shown repeating multiple times and when I go to ROCK data on the “Network/rock/data/storage/InternalStorage” a listing of my music folders is correct but an “InternalStorage” folder is shown and seems to repeatedly nest forever.

The system will play music just fine; but the file system shows all of these multiple repeats.

I’ve attached a couple of JPGs that I took of my Album listing and of the Storage Folder.
Please suggest next steps to recover the system.

This is a known (but rare) problem. I’m unlucky, it’s happened to me twice in the past few years. The support team may want to collect some logs from your Core, so I’d first wait until they respond here. I repaired my installation by doing the following steps:

How exactly did you transfer your library into the internal 2TB SSD?

The only correct way (to keep permissions right) is to format this disk by ROCK web interface tool and then transfer all via network connect. Yes, it is slow.

I did it wrong, with disk connection to a separate linux system, and got exactly your effect with the latest update of ROCK.

@support, maybe it is good to force it to a KB? Many people has large libraries and some are not patient to wait for network transfers…

This morning I rebooted the NUC.

The multiple listings on the remote display (Samsung tablet) corrected itself and now only single instances of each album is shown…so that symptom seems to have corrected itself by a reboot.
Playing tracks/albums on the system is normal- no problems apparent. Using my desktop computer interface also shows a normal listing of albums (no multiple listings).

However, looking at the file structure via the network interface (rock\) still shows the “InternalStorage” folder repeating/nesting.

The system has been up and running continuously (barring any updates) for more than a year…and yes I loaded the original music files via the network interface and have added any new files via the (\rock) network workflow. This issue may have been present all along and I’ve never had reason to noticed it.

Using the Windows interface (\rock) I also tried a “Properties” query on the “Network/Rock/Data/InternalStorage” folder of the NUC. It shows a file folder size that continues to expand to over 5TB and more that 100K files…its just keeps running and getting larger and larger before I closed the “Properties” window. This seems to be only a file organization issue as I only have a 2TB SSD as the physical storage medium and less than 500GB of actual files.

Thanks for your thoughts on this weidness…billj

Right, add any music file into ROCK and you get the same nightmare.

See the reason above.

Exactly the same as I saw on my system when this issue occurred. I would recommend that you re-format the SSD using ROCK’s web administration page, and restore your music files from a backup (which I hope you have made).

Thanks Masala and Geoff…
I’ll reformat the SSD and reload the files when I have the fortitude to do so…in the meantime all is working so no panic…just wierdness!

Do not add new music then :slight_smile:

Hi @Bill_Jacobsen,

Thanks for the report here, as @Geoff_Coupe mentioned, we have seen this rare behavior before. I have discussed your case with the QA team and we have gone ahead and sent a “refresh” command for your watched storage locations which we have seen resolve this behavior in the past.

The initial issue should be resolved, but we highly suggest performing a Roon Database Backup, then making sure that you have all your active storage locations connected and online, and then perform a Library Cleanup in Roon Settings -> Library Maintenance -> Clean Up Library.

Can you please let me know if the remote refresh and the library cleanup helps with the issue?

Thank you Noris et al.
The issue is indeed resolved.
A look at the Roon “InternalStorage” folder did not show any repeating/nested instances.
I then added three more albums to the library, and they only showed up once.
I’ve also backed up the database and performed a Library Cleanup as you suggested.
Thank you for your assistance.

1 Like

Hi @Bill_Jacobsen,

Glad to hear that the issue is resolved!
Thanks again for reaching out to us and hope you have a great day.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.