Internet radio stream buffer?

I’m wondering if adding a buffer for internet streams is in the cards?

I suffer from brief network dropouts courtesy of my ISP. I know its not just the stream I’m listening to as I work from home and my remote sessions ‘hang’ for a 1-3 seconds before resuming.

How about a buffer, perhaps even user adjustable, from 0-30 seconds for internet streams to allow it to tolerate these minor network disruptions? I realize this would delay the start of sound by the buffer time depth but I’d rather wait a short while and have uninterrupted play than have the stream die several times a day.

Alternatively, if Roon could auto restart the current stream if the user didn’t click pause/stop intentionally, this would be nice as well.

1 Like

I don’t have any problem with Tidal, only internet radio streams

Sorry missed that in the title. There has been other feedback about radio and buffering if you search the forum. I think it was about the balance between buffering and instant playback.

If buffering could improve the stability for Internet radio stations I would second that feature request, to have an adjustable buffer selection.

For me Internet radio stations quite frequently stop and will restart directly when I press ‘play’ again.

It would be fantastic if buffering could reduce this behaviour or if roon Internet radio was a bit more persistent in trying to reconnect to the stream instead of just stopping.

Compare to old fashioned analogue radio where there might be static and drop-outs but once the signal improves the station would continue to play. Of course, wildly different technologies but I trust you get the analogy…

1 Like