Interrupted playback on Android endpoint

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Roon Optimized Core Kit running on NUC7 i7 512 GB SSD 16 GB DDR4 / V1.7 build 505, ROONOS 1.0 build 183. Local music stored on SSD USB drive plugged into ROCK.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

ASUS AC-3100 router & DHCP server plus ASUS AC-1900 WAP running in mesh mode… TP-Link TL-SG1016G 16 port Gigabit switch. ROCK has Ethernet interface.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Have numerous SONOS speakers, connects, and amps. Sonos Boost has Ethernet interface, other devices mostly wireless. Problem, however, relates to Galaxy S9+ smartphone endpoint.running ROON V1.7 build 505, connecting via wifi (2.4 or 5G).

Description Of Issue

When listening to music on my Galaxy S9+ I get frequent disconnects (2-4 per hour?), which stops the playback. At around the same frequency, the music stops without a disconnect. In either case, I have to hit play, and it restarts at the same point it left off. Would like to be able to listen without all the interruptions. Thanks for your help.

Hello @Mark_Pocock,

Check that the Android Battery Optimization feature is not enabled for the Roon Remote app on your phone.

-John

Thanks for the quick response. Yes I checked under settings/apps and battery optimization is turned off for roon.

Mark

Hi @Mark_Pocock,

Thanks for checking battery optimization.

What are you connecting to your Galaxy phone? Do you have a USB DAC? Are you outputting directly to the Galaxy speakers/

Does the same behavior occur if you set the screen to never lock and keep Roon in the foreground (as the active app)?

Where in this chain does the Galaxy usually connect, the access point? Is the behavior the same if you stay closer to the primary router or temporarily disconnect the WAP?

I have been doing some monitoring of the situation. To answer your questions:
Playback using headphone jack to headphones.
Happens less frequently when Roon is in the foreground, but still happens sometimes.
The Galaxy is usually connected to WAP when this happens. Haven’t tried much listening when connected to main router - will try to get some time in on that over the next while.

Thanks

Mark

1 Like

Thanks for the information @Mark_Pocock.

If you can please verify this aspect it would provide a very useful data point.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.