Interruptions in file playback and audio device locking

Roon Server Machine

Mac Mini 2023 / M2 Chip / 16GB Memory / MacOs Sonoma 14.1.2 / Macintosh HD 1TB

Networking Gear & Setup Details

2 METER CAT8 NETWORK CABLE FROM ROUTER TO CORE - FIBER OPTICAL CONNECTION 600 MB SYMMETRIC TO ROUTER

Connected Audio Devices

CONNECTION CABLE CORE TO DAC (USB A-B Audioquest Diamond 1.5 Meters)
DAC RME ADI 2/4 PRO SE
(Please, I think it is advisable that you contact RME because I see that you do not have it on your list to identify the DAC)

Number of Tracks in Library

The Library that I manage with ROON, in approximate number of files is:
ON THE LOCAL HARD DRIVE(*) (95,000)
FROM QOBUZ (3,000)

(*) EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE FOR LOCAL FILES
WD_BLACK D10 GAME DRIVE 8TB.
(HDD / 3.5¨/ RPM 7200 / 250 MB/S)

Description of Issue

During the last two days, when using ROON normally, it happened that every so often the playback would stop and this would cause the audio device to crash.
I noticed that it took longer to happen if I played an album without stopping it. As soon as I stopped and restarted, or moved down the track, etc., the problem occurred immediately.
I also noticed that the crash occurred immediately if I started a random play of a playlist.
Specifically, it happened that it began to sound with defects, with interruptions, etc. until it stops working permanently. The curious thing is that without it ringing anymore, the seconds on the track kept ticking and it could ring again with defects for a few seconds before stopping again. That is until you saw a message that playback was stopped due to various errors that were occurring.
In this situation, even outside of ROON, the DAC was blocked and if you wanted to play YOUTUBE content, for example, you would see a notice that that DAC was already in use with other content and it would not allow you to use it.
With the computer restart everything worked again. When trying to use ROON again, the same thing happened again.
Since my library is powered by QOBUZ and local files on a hard drive, I chose to disable the connection to QUBUZ. The result is that ROON has worked perfectly with the music on the hard drive. I have started the random playback of several lists by musical genre and in more than 8 hours no problems have occurred.
As for QOBUZ, playback outside of ROON has been possible without problems. Both through the QOBUZ desktop application and through a test account that I have opened in AUDIRVANA.
Taking all of the above into account, I believe that there have been errors in the operation of ROON with QOBUZ.
Before writing about this problem, I have re-enabled QOBUZ in ROON and it is working fine. Still, I think it is important for you to know what has happened and apply corrective measures so that it does not happen again.

(I have attached a screenshot of an example of Signal Path in case it is useful).

What firmware level is your RME ADI-2/4 Pro?

Currently has installed V.36

Which FPGA version?

I have installed the latest update that RME has made available for my DAC, dated 10/15/23.
Specifically, I have FPGA 72 / DSP 36 installed because my DAC is identified as Hw Rev 6.
I know there are other DACs of the same model as mine that RME identifies as Hw Rev 7. In this case, the same update dated 10/15/23 installs FPGA 209 / DSP 36.
I don’t know what it means or what implications it has if the DAC is Hw Rev 6 or Hw Rev 7.
I also don’t know what consequences it has for the DAC to work with FPGA 72 instead of FPGA 209.
If you know this technical topic and can tell me your opinion, I will be very grateful.

Hi @David_Gomez,

We’ve enabled diagnostic mode for your account; please open RoonServer for at least one hour in the next several days at your convenience. Your Roon account will automatically generate a report and send it to our servers.

We’ll respond once we have a little more insight.

Good afternoon, finally nothing has been said again from support. 24 days ago they said they were going to monitor my account. Have you been able to obtain any relevant conclusions? Thank you.

Hi @David_Gomez,

My apologies for the delay in following up! How are things running as of late?

Your previous diagnostic report didn’t yield any clues around the issue, unfortunately. Would you be able to reproduce the issue and share the specific date, time, and track playing the next time it occurs?