Introducing RoPieee - A RoonBridge-to-go image for the Raspberry Pi

@spockfish Harry I found the settings in the midden bottom right screen corner…awesome. Will try it dimmed down tonight…just wish there was a nice big digital clock display option when it’s sleeping - SWMBO keeps asking what happened to it since I pulled picoreplayer out of the unit :blush:

That clock is something I already got working over here, so that’s on the list.

1 Like

Please make the clock an option. I actually prefer a blank screen when the screensaver is active.

1 Like

oh for sure it will be an option. don’t worry :wink:

Hey Harry @spockfish

I just visited my old man and installed the latest Ropieee beta over Dietpi, since we were having issues last week with Ropieee album/song display not changing after a few tracks.

The latest update looks to have fixed this :slight_smile:

The power cycle issue should never really affect him because where you have a HAT it’s impossible to play to that endpoint before turning the unit on. The power cycle issue happens for me (display/remote setup with no HAT) when Roon is already playing to the endpoint before turning the Pi on. So that’s a positive and probably why not many have reported this issues - I would guess most are using it with a HAT or USB Dac, so they won’t be able to even attempt to reproduce this issue, due to the sequence of events mentioned.

So I’m happy to leave him with this Ropieee image now, because he might have struggled with dealing with any bugs himself.

One odd thing which isn’t affecting playback, see the attached. What’s this charging symbol in the top right corner?

Hey Harry, I did it by both the feedback button and PM’ed you the output via SSH commands.

I was able to reproduce the bug twice, including the very last activity before sending you feedback.

Note I’m running the latest ext. 0.3.1

Hope this helps to iron out the final bug of the beta.

As mentioned above, everything else looks good after testing at my old man’s place earlier today - I did all sorts of boot sequences and tried to make Ropieee fail in all the ways I could imagine my dad making it fail lol and it was rock solid. It was good enough that I was confident to keep him running the beta image and not get any phone calls throughout the week with issues :slight_smile:

Btw dad’s only future request - an option for full screen cover art (keeping aspect ratio of course) so he can see it from the listening position like with PiCorePlayer - see attached photo of him enjoying Ropieee + HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro ! He says thanks !

1 Like

Ok SWMBO decided to put some music on this morning and just hit play on what was up on roon that we went to sleep with playing last night…at volume 13.

Ouch like vol was now 60 and display was just the 3 buttons and no track info. Buttons were all unresponsive too. assume it was like that after the 5am reboot. My ears are still ringing :open_mouth: the 1:12====4:23 is displayed. And the extension is not listed in the core settings…

I grabbed the remote iPad and paused the zone then pulled down the vol but the music muted and even tho roon thinks it’s still playing there is no output at any volume level

Feedback sent so let me know if you got it @spockfish and I’ll do a commit in a while so it has time to send

This is why I asked for the option to not update … I know it’s beta but I would rather manage the beta updates under controlled circumstances so it’s easier to avoid such issues when there are limited devices to test with.

Update…no amount of messing about with reboot and commit commands worked to get the extension back in roon settings…so I did a shutdown then pulled the power supply…booted up again and that resulted in the same 3 button display again…then I did reboot and I think came back to normal and extension was showing again. Music is playing again and SWMBO is happy again… :smiley:

Interesting so you’re getting the after-shutdown-and-power-on-the-screen-does-not-come-alive thing with a HAT used. But like you, and I’ve been finding and posting the past few weeks, the reboot fixes it (most of the time).

Hopefully with both our logs, Harry can see some sort of pattern/something in common.

Doesn’t sound like fun for him going through the logs though :cry:

Yeah I think I’m going to have to relocate the digiamp+ hat setup without the lcd back to the bedroom…hmmm better check that ones volume too before I pull the plug…I can live with the display not in the bedroom I guess as it’s the clock I really want on it at night when sleeping.

At least until this reboot restart issue with the lcd is sorted. Anything else we can try Harry?

Hmmm. that’s scary. The charing symbol, according the official Pi documentation, suggests that there’s not enough power.

Oops, that’s interesting, I get the same yellow charging symbol on my touchscreen (no HAT or USB device hung on my RPi2 either).

I’m using a repurposed Nokia phone charger to power everything (the phone has long since been recycled). I must say that I’ve never had any problems with using the RPi setup, even in its previous setup when it had a HiFiBerry Digi+ HAT on it feeding my AVR…

Interesting. It disappeared after a while. It’s a 5V at 2.5amps iFi iPower which is plenty of power, even for keyboard, mouse, USB drives etc (obviously none of those are obviously attached for dad’s Pi for Roon)

Oh well, I don’t think that’s your problem to worry about but I’ll tell dad to keep an eye on it.

One thing though is maybe Ropieee’s bootup code, uses more power than other RoonBridge images?

I did note a few weeks ago, above, that my Uptone LPS-1 failed to bootup and install Ropieee Touchscreen - whereas previously it was fine with PicorePlayer (with Touchscreen) and DietPi.

Just an observation. I wonder if Ropieee needs close to 2.5 amp just for bootup. I don’t have the means to measure though.

Thatz the display indicating low power. You may need a separate psi from the display to get around that.

Thanks mate. As per above, a 5V 1.1amp was able to power the same Pi, same Touchscreen and same HAT attached, with PiCorePlayer (and DietPi even though the touchscreen didn’t show anything useful)

But the 5V 1.1amp PSU failed to boot up Ropieee for the install - I made that observation some weeks ago but didn’t think much of it. The 2.5amp power supply was fine for the Ropieee install. Now it’s showing the charging symbol during playback, but it disappeared after a while.

Something tells me the Ropieee code may be more power hungry, based on above and earlier observations I’ve posted…Especially for bootup and initial moments of playback.

Not a big drama but just obersvations. It would be interesting if someone could measure peak and continious current draw with Ropieee touchscreen - I don’t have the means sadly.

I too am using an iFi 5v 2.5amp power supply with a RPi3 no hat and see the lightening flash sometimes. It always goes away though

1 Like

I’m using a 19V 3A SMPS supplied by IQAudio along with the DigiAMP+ hat and never have seen the charging icon ever.

When you reboot you must see the large top to bottom square rainbow square image before the boot up code starts.

If it looks like this is good

but this is not good

I’m trying this now…contents via PM

You need 2.5a minimum really especially if using rpi3 and a display that’s hows mines configured for my hifiberry digi+ pi3 combined. Loop out of the USB on the display into the Pi. For my Amp+ Pi 2 combi 18v for amp and Pi, separate 5v 2a for the display.

I’ve heard some bad reviews of the Ifi psu. I just use the official psu and have no issues. Saw some in depth audiophile review of Pi with hat and touchscreen and having supposedly better psu than stock made no difference. Horses for courses though always thought these expensive psu options are just a placebo myself. :slight_smile: