Introducing RoPieee - A RoonBridge-to-go image for the Raspberry Pi

Thanks Harry. Completely understand this is about Roon but my query is about showing Roon’s ‘Now Playing’ on the Pi’s 7" Touchscreen.

Ignoring Jivelite, is it possible for you to display the album art on the official Pi screen?

Cheers again

I figured as much - but I guess no harm to ask :slight_smile: of course there are other options but all require tweaking and manual effort - nothing just works out of the gate with roon and an airplay option

1 Like

I don’t own a touchscreen, but yeah, looking at it is seems doable. Problem is that I think it’s a rather large amount of work, as it should look nice as well :wink:

I’m gonna look at this more this weekend (too busy with work atm) to see how the software operates with the screen and how much work it is. Maybe it’s something I would like to have myself as well.

1 Like

Awesome Harry ! Like a 2017 Roon-only version of a Squeezebox Touch but with up to DSD512 support with Roon.

RoonBridge supports DSD512 but not Jivelite, and PicorePlayer supports Jivelite but only DSD64 via DoP.

I can’t find another solution that merges the two - Roon DSD512 endpoint with album art on the Pi 7" touchscreen.

1 Like

I just setup PiCorePlayer for my dad’s system with Roon and his HiFiBerry. See attached photo. You can switch between VU Meter and Roon album art just by tapping the touchscreen.

I really want one my desktop but since I do Roon DSD up-sampling (to DSD512) I’m not keen on PiCorePlayer as it’s limited to DSD64.

2 Likes

@St0g1e has already build a html interface using the Roon API. Yesterday I tried to customise the look for the 7" touchscreen. Not final, but might be a good starting point.

You can find information about it in his post.

2 Likes

Hello Spockfish,

I tried your Image on the weekend and it wasn’t successful :-(!
I think there’s a little bug in your restart-script.

I installed on a new sd-card and a clean raspberry pi2, no additional things attached on the rapsberry pi.
Your image is just rebooting forever.
It reboots so fast, that I even can’t login as root to see what’s happening.
The only thing I could see after attaching a TFT via hdmi was that it posts " a reboot is scheduled for 02.01.2017 03:00 am or so. It’s too fast for reading before rebooting ;-).

And this goes on forever.
I installed the image on three different sdcards just to be sure and always the same behaviour with your latest image.
No other errors occur, even one time I could access for seconds the Webinterface … before next reboot :wink:

Best regards

René

1 Like

I had the same thing as Rene_Petri yesterday - also on a Raspberry Pi2. I did manage to login, but immediately got a ‘This computer is going to reboot NOW’ type message.

1 Like

Ok @Rene_Petri and @Simon_Higgs, thanks for your feedback! I’m gonna look into this.

I’ll keep you posted!

Hello Spockfish

Thank’s for looking into this!
I still have my ifi nano DSD2 lying around that would like to come in the Roon-Environment.
So far it’s attached on a netbook with Daphile Distro.

I would give you logs, but I can’t access them… booting too fast :wink:

Best regards

René

Hey Harry,

Just adding a data point: same rebooting thing here – Pi3 with IQ Audio DAC+.

Enjoy. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

huh? that’s annoying. I don’t have that.
You had the latest image?

@RBM Can you mount the sdc card to another system and look at the messages/syslog logs inside the sdcard and see whats causing the reboot?

I’m pretty sure I already know what causes the reboot. It’s just the ‘regular’ daily reboot timer that’s being fired.

Right now I’m suspicious of my implementation with using a systemd timer. I’m afraid it’s being fired straight away if systemd thinks that for some reason the reboot time has passed already…

In the previous version I used a simple 'shutdown ’ statement but I wanted to do that with a systemd timer. Bad idea I guess :wink:

2 Likes

Still a quick check: when did you downloaded the image?

ropieee-20170506.img.

Downloaded, unsurprisingly, on May 6th.

1 Like

I’ve not had any issues so far. Installed first time around and not rebooting.

I can also confirm it’s passing at least DSD 256 to my Teac DAC natively.

Now for the touch screen, and to replace all my Sonos devices.

Very happy of London

1 Like

Ok. I think I’ve discovered the issue thanks to quick scan on the screen by @Rene_Petri. The date/time you see is before ntpdate kicks in and syncs the system clock. Now, systemd already set its timer for the reboot time (which is 03:04 by default, don’t ask ;-)). If that happens before ntpdate is finished, then on setting the correct time systemd sees the timejump and fires the timer, thus rebooting.

This potentially ends up in endless reboot. Gonna do some more testing now. Still does not explain why not everyone is having this…

Hello Spockfish

That seems to be what I was suspecting ;-)!

Because everything else gave no failure/error as I could see in the minimum time it was up!

Seeing forward to an udated image.

Best regards

René

Sorry guys for keeping you waiting.
Busy week. But I’ve been able to fix the issue and have a new image ready.
I just need to test it properly before I’m gonna release it. ETA: Saturday.

I’ll keep you posted!

1 Like