Introducing RoPieee - A RoonBridge-to-go image for the Raspberry Pi

Guys,

Another update to the beta channel.
I’ve added a watchog mechanism to the remote extension which results in restarting the extension after a few seconds if it did not pair with a core.

@dabassgoesboomboom this should result in your case that you don’t have to do anything: RoPieee should recover from your cold boot issue automatically after a few seconds. Could you test this please?

Thanks!

As one of the first to request Touchscreen support:

[quote=“Sean2016, post:62, topic:24868”]
I’m looking for a Pi distribution that supports album art on the 7" Pi Touchscreen (like PiCorePlayer does) that also supports DSD512 via the Pi USB port (like DietPi with RoonBridge does) [/quote]

And almost the only one to continuously nag Harry about this cold boot bug (lol sorry Harry) I am delighted to say this cold boot issue is no longer an issue!

I’ve done a few cold boots and did it in a typically more ‘complicated’ scenario with grouped zones to both a HAT and a networked DAC and everything connects everytime on the cold boot.

I can’t imagine any further issues for anyone where the Ropieee Remote Extension disconnects from the Core - it looks to fixes itself now (thanks to Harry’s brilliance). And if you keep that ‘restart Ropieee extension’ button on the settings page, it should be happy days forever, for anyone, for any network issue someone may have that causes this disconnection.

One minor observation which only applies to a fresh install/setup:

I did a new setup of Ropieee beta (I had used the SD card for something else). Once it installed Ropieee beta, I went to the Roon Extensions settings page before going to ropieee.local and I saw version 0.3.2 but it kept disappearing and re-appearing and at the same time the touchschreen showed the same “Connection Failuire” screen which also kept disappearing and re-appearing. So if someone goes to enable this extension _before going to ropieee.local to do the setup then you need to be quick with enabling the extension, because every second or so it disappears and re-appears. I guess it’s the watchdog cutting in and out. I don’t know if this is a non-issue if someone goes to do the setup at ropieee.local first, before enabling the extension. But this seems to be minor.

Congrats and many thanks Harry @spockfish ! :hamburger::beers:

2 Likes

Hey Harry, just tried to do fresh install at my dad’s place and I get these errors. It stalls at downloading one package. I tried a few times (wiping the card and fresh image install) with no luck, it’s a problem with the same package each time.

The prior packages downloaded very quickly so it’s not a slow network issue.

Is it a problem with the server that’s hosting that package?

seems like that :frowning:

i’ll check immediately.

Thanks so much

And now? I can download it on this end.

I’ll wipe the card and try again

Same problem with that linux-raspberrypi-dsd package again.

Might be an issue with accessing that server from this side of the world, at the moment?

This morning I had no issues from my place.

I’ll leave a fresh image installed on the SD card for my dad to try himself tomorrow.

Otherwise he’ll have to wait till next weekend for me to try again.

Strange, because the RoonBridge package and others downloaded super quick before it gets to that package.

Is that the largest file to download during the install?

No it isn’t, but the difference is that package comes from my infrastructure, while the other ones are being pulled in from a different server.

So that suggests it’s on my end.

1 Like

Ah cool. The screen turned off so I cant see what stage it’s at or if it’s still trying something.

RoonBridge installed before that package and is working so if it doesn’t work before I leave, he can continue to listen during the week and I can re-try next weekend.

it does a few retries as well. in the mean time i’m looking into moving this out of my infrastructure to fix this permanently.

Nice, thanks again

I found what was causing the lightning bolt symbol. It’s as per the links I posted higher up, due to voltage drop and therefore under-voltage.

In this case, dad was using an in-line switch and then the 2.1mm DC plug splitter which powers the Pi + screen, with a single iFi iPower 5V at 2.5amps.

I removed the in-line switch and he doesn’t get the lightning bolt issue any more. So as expected, it’s not an issue of current - I had 1.1amp PSU powering the Pi3 + HiFiBerry + Screen before, without issues.

If using a 5V DC splitter cable you may need a splitter cable with thicker wire to minimise voltage drop, and if that’s not an option then a separate power supply for the screen.

Just to help others that see this symbol.

1 Like

Um - it may be due to current, not voltage drop. I just swapped power adaptors between two of my RPis, and the bolt went away once the 2.5A adaptor was in place, rather than the original 1.1A adaptor…

1 Like

With Ropieee yes. I mentioned a few weeks ago that my 1.1amp that I’d used with the same Pi3 + HAT + screen with Picoreplayer worked fine all the time but failed with Ropieee. Suggesting that Ropieee may need more current.

Possibly a combination. The official word by Pi Engineers on the lightning symbol is under voltage, as per the links above.

But definitely if there’s not enough current, issues will arise too

Which 1.1amp PSU btw?

And which 2.5amp PSU? The official Pi PSU is actually 5.1V and one reason is to account for potential voltage drops.

Just a note on the request for rebooting under manual control…I like to run in DAC’s and do this using the USB connections on my PI’s and if it reboots then play stops. I might have to go back to DietPi or volumio on the pi I normally use for the test days…I find dietpi or volumio so stable that it can be months before I ever touch them.

maybe when we get out of beta…the stable build can have this option?

What request is that? Check out my recent observations. There’s no interruption in playback.

Got it to download and install now Harry @spockfish

Dad’s very happy. Obviously the music selection for the photo is mine not his :grin:

His network is even more complicated than mine, with 4 powerline adapters, connecting the modem, the router, one switch and another switch all to connect two endpoints on opposite sides of the house and different levels (upstairs and downstairs). So plenty of opportunities to fail but I’ve tested multiple sequences and scenarios and I can’t make Ropieee fail, as hard as I try. It’s rock solid.

Our second donation through your website will be coming your way, as a big thank you for your efforts.

1 Like

Hi @dabassgoesboomboom, a little off-topic but related:
Just for info i’ve tested RPI3 + official 7" Touchscreen powered via IFiPower (5V, 2.5A) under DietPi running web controller extension (via chrome browser).

I’ve got the yellow lightning bolt on the screen and terrible audio interferences and noise via USB (external DAC).

See: https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roon-extension-roon-web-controller-v1-1-1/26921/42

Obviously no problem if the touchscreen device is out of audio signal path (my prefered setup).