Introducing RoPieee - A RoonBridge-to-go image for the Raspberry Pi

Thanks for the answer!

That does not mean you can brick everybody with one click :wink:
Hence my question, But hey it works for him and for his user base! :slight_smile:

Hi, quick update from my side wrt the experiments with the Raspberry Pi 7’’ touchscreen as some of you (like @dabassgoesboomboom) are interested in this…

First of all I want to make clear that this is a lot of work, so it will take some time to get it up and running. But the basic building blocks are in place: the necessary configuration of the screen is figured out, I’ve got a Roon extension that provides an API for the touchscreen application and I’m playing around with a first UI application that will actually run on the touchscreen.

The good part of it all that it can be configured based on autodetection, so no user action required - which is an important part of the whole idea behind RoPieee.

So that’s it for now, but at least it’s going somewhere :wink:

6 Likes

:raised_hands:
:+1:
:ok_hand:

@spockfish Just an update on Nuprime Dac-9 native dsd with the kernel update -
dac is showing dsd 256 but getting static on any dsd tracks. Will test some more. Thanks!

Update - hard power cycle of dac solved issue - working perfectly!

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi Wim,

In principle it is, but I did not find anything related to these DAC’s while running Linux. And that’s the ‘main thing’. In general it first requires firmware update, followed by a kernel patch.

Do you own one of these DAC’s? Because we can have a quick look.

Regards Harry

Hi Harry,
I do not own a DAC yet. I have no Roon license yet. I’m still considering what to buy.
I’ll probably start with a Roon Core on an ESXi VM, a few RPi’s running RoPieee and a Meridian Explorer 2.
See if I like Roon enough to buy a lifetime license and then upgrade my hardware.
I’m using almost exclusively Tidal HiFi. My CD’s are ripped in mp3 and I don’t fancy ripping them again in FLAC.
Thanks for your work on RoPieee.
You may well consider a peek at Patreon.
Regards,
Wim

2 Likes

@spockfish Harry would it be possible to have an option (check box on the admin page) to not install updates (for those that are happy with the status quo) and if so perhaps a force an update cycle with a button option including y/N prompts.

This negates the issues of possibly bricking a build for a feature of DAC that one is not interested in.

1 Like

Progress… :smiley:

11 Likes

I too found this today in Tidal … somethings stay the same :stuck_out_tongue:

is that touchui a teaser?

Judging by the number of likes of this post, nice to see I’m not the only one that was interested in this :smile:

Thanks for the great work and progress

1 Like

Yeah technically that’s possible of course. And I might do that at some point. Right now I don’t see this as a ‘high priority’.

And to offer you some ‘comfort’: I only have one RPi. And it’s not a ‘tinker machine’. It’s the primary Roon endpoint in the house, and my partner would kick me if I brick it :wink:

1 Like

Brilliant . Let Sean and I know when you want us to beta test something. I’ve a 7 inch screen sitting waiting :grinning: And a couple of pi s , so I’m not worried about breaking anything

1 Like

Likewise …my PI and iqaudio digiamp+ are good to blow away picoreplayer anytime.

1 Like

Agreed, happy to help in any way :slight_smile:

Same here eagerly awaiting the first ropieee with touchscreen support.

2 Likes

Hey Harry

Does Ropieee do the following by default, automatically, the same way they can be adjusted in DietPi:

1.Turns off Pi HDMI port
2. Turns off the Pi’s WiFi radio (I know WiFi is not supported but is the actual WiFi radio turned off?)
3. Turns off Pi’s camera LED
4. Turns ON PSU noise reduction

See photos attached from DietPi

Can’t you hear? :wink:

2 Likes

Lol, is that a yes? All those above DietPi optimizations are done by default in Ropieee?

Another Sunday afternoon release.

Changelog:

-added native DSD support for W4S DAC-2v2SE
-added support for ALLO Piano DAC’s
-disable HDMI

There’s a new image as well, but for those that already got RoPieee running: it will update somewhere the coming 24 hours.

A fairly calm release. Most dev team goes into the touchscreen support for now.
Happy Roonin’!

1 Like