iOS battery usage

Anyone else notice that the Roon app for iOS uses a heck of a lot of battery? I can’t believe how fast my battery has been draining using it.

1 Like

Yeah if you maintain an active connection it eats the battery fast.

That supposed to work that way? I’m not using my iOS device as a player just remote. Curious as to what it’s doing that it would need to consume as much battery as a intense game.

Admittedly my 12.9 pro is fairly new but I don’t see any major drains, I use probably 8 hrs a day for Roon and “Internet Reading” and charge about every 2 days . I would consider that OK.

I do let the iPad “shut down” process work so when just listening the screen goes off in 60 sec I believe. Obviously keeping the screen lit is a big drain but don’t forget connection to WiFi and 4G etc is a big drain too. Mine’s WiFi only

On the other hand my 6yr old Mini drains in 1-2 hours just with basic “reading” , but its probably been charged every other day for 6 years so I guess no complaints . Its now a mains driven Roon end point via Bluetooth

This is insane. (Recently deleted is Roon, I’ve reinstalled it recently to upgrade) There’s even no background refresh toggle. iOS widget is disabled, iPhone is not an enabled roon endpoint.
Why and how does it constantly run in background? It’s not streaming anything it’s a bloody remote! I guess the only way to stop that is to either close the app every time or just stop paying for roon.

1 Like

Oh wow! Is @support aware of this?

1 Like

Same on iPhone Xs. Also the h/w runs hot. Still crashing. It really is unusable I am afraid. Latest iOS and Rock s/w. Waiting patiently for a fix.

Same here on 10.5” iPad Pro on iPadOS15.2

Actually don’t think I’ve seen ANY other app eat battery so greedily as Roon - and that would include tasks like video editing, music making, playing latest games… considering the Roon app is not doing much more than loading text and images and displaying them, this sounds like badly broken code.

This really needs to be fixed.

The thing is my iPhone 12 Pro gets really hot when using the Roon app for like 15-30min.
That is definitely wrong.

Same on my iPhone 13 pro with latest Roon and iOS builds. Battery usage is insane. The device runs hot and the battery drains like crazy. Lots of progress has been made with regards to scrolling and (re)connecting the remote to the server, but this battery drain has been a plague for a long time now.
I actually want the iPhone app to be just a remote nothing else, this shouldn’t tax the cpu this much.

2 Likes

@mike Is this also on your radar? Maybe the issue of running hot iPhones relate to the crash issue?
I am sure many would help with debug log activation to further investigate this.