iOS devices crashing shortly after startup [See staff post]

I’ve just filled the form in.

I haven’t had a crash for over a week currently. But I know it will happen again sometime soon.

Latest iOS and Roon app and am getting crashes every time I open the app in under 10 seconds. I will need to peers down my phone abs restart. Especially annoying as Roon can’t even remember where you are in a long list so by the time you scroll down to where you were it crashes again…

it’s the most frustrating bug. Filled the form. Hope you will fix it. Impossible to work with it…

@kevin Could you give us a short updates about findings, progress being made in these 2 weeks?

Being a former iOS developer and currently serving as the CEO of software company employing 30 mobile developers and more than 200 miliions users using our apps everyday I can say that Roon’s way of handling this case is outrageous.

Yes, there are many hard to fix bugs. Yes there are many bugs that are extremely hard to trace. But trying to fix a critical crash that happens for thousands of paying users 20 times a day for more than 6 months is way over the limit.

Guys, I’m very glad that you are asking us to fill this form, it means that after half a year somebody is actually interested in fixing the problem. But why not integrating a crash reporting tool into the code and having all the crashes + stack traces + device information coming to you in real time from all users?

Come on, stop thinking of iOS users as stupid cows that you can feed with BS. We love your app, we use it although the crashes and inconvenience. We deserve better. Please take us serious this time.

14 Likes

I absolutely agree with @Vadim_Fainshtein, but for some reason it’s just not happening. I’ve been trying to provide both server-side logs and asked for a TestFlight version with more client-side debugging enabled (collect whatever you want from my device - but get it working already!). Still, no response except this form.

By the way, I’m not a paying customer anymore and – as much as I hope that they will get this fixed – I suggest others affected by this bug start voting with their wallets.

1 Like

@danny can hopefully provide some insight what is happening here.

You know what, @Jacob_Wodzynski ? You’re perfectly right.
I’m disabling my subscription and encourage all users with the same problem to do the same.

2 Likes

Already done. These crashes btw are way longer happening than just 6 months. It’s ridiculous.

1 Like

Is the iPad app as atrocious as the one for the iPhone?

Not from my experience but YMMV

1 Like

Cheers Bernd.

It seems to mainly affect iPhones (mostly X and newer?).

I’ve not had the issue on my 7th gen iPad or my iPhone 6s, though the 6s doesn’t get used much for Roon.

2 Likes

Absolutely. I just reviewed my reply history, and it looks like I first reported my crashes in January 2020… so a year and a half for me.

1 Like

First reports date back to Sept '19. It got less sometimes and me tired to report but never really was sorted.

Hehe, yeah, sometimes it is less. It is a constant expectation though. Whenever I see my phone not having the app open, I open the app and count to 25. If the app doesn’t crash, it is okay for the time being. I f it crashes again, I know to do a cold boot of the phone for a fix. Last couple days it has been needed once a day. Sometimes it seems to be fine for weeks. I stopped trying to troubleshoot or reach out as it is just a fact of life that Roon crashes on my main remote device. I don’t recommend this software to anyone anymore, but I like it and still use it everyday.

Filled out the form. Happens to me too. Been doing so ever since I started using Roon a few months ago.

Really love the concept of Roon BUT given all the bugs I’ve found and reported so far, I sometimes feel like a beta tester :rofl:

2 Likes

Yes. Worked great with 1.7 on my (admittedly old) iPad Air2. It is now all but unusable with 1.8. The indifference by Roon is shameful.

1 Like

Just realised that when playing music and I open iphone camera, Roon looses control of device.

Also happened when I clicked on a photo on here.