iOS devices crashing shortly after startup [See staff post]

Please opt me in for this test.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: iPad stuck in album view

@AMP @benjamin: with the ios debug flag enabled, I haven’t been able to reproduce the frequent crashes yet. Looks promising…

1 Like

@Nepherte thank you for the feedback! @Eric_Wagner I wanted to check in on your end and see if you’ve hit any snags yet?

We’d love to continue to gather as much feedback as possible, thanks, everyone!

1 Like

Please count me in as well for this. The iOS app (1.8.01021) crashes randomly but reliably within a few seconds on my iPhone. I haven’t seen any issues on the iPad.

1 Like

Thanks for the quick support. Since enabling this I have not observed any iOS crashes. Even though I have only used it for a short while so far I am certain it is more reliable than the previous configuration. The SW versions were unchanged on core and iOS clients.

1 Like

Not sure if it helps, but here is my experience on this.

1 Like

@benjamin Please count me in for this version. (I don’t ever use my iOS devices as endpoints.

Thanks

1 Like

At this point it would be nice to have this option as a toggle in the app’s settings (including for desktop apps). I only use my iphone as a remote, not an endpoint, and since opting in, haven’t had a single crash.

2 Likes

@benjamin - Please can you count me in for this version too. I never use IOS as endpoints.

Thanks

1 Like

Hi just to report further to iOS devices crashing shortly after startup [See staff post] - #465 by mevh

In case this could help others.

I am using ROCK in Virtual Machine (directly as ROCK not within a Linux or Windows VM).

I had many display issues, lagging and freezing with ios apps (iphone 13 Max Pro and Ipad mini), even after updating software to the correct versions. This was seen especially in Haydn Complete Works 150 CDs box set (all under one set in Roon).

My VM is in Virtual Station in a QNAP NAS TVS-h1688x, so a monster of resources available! I had reserved 4 cores for ROCK as well as 8Go of RAM.

Well since I have disabled Dynamic Memory Allocation on this VM, the ios apps are now working flawlessly!

So proper resources are now available to run Roon (128455 tracks database currently).

Therefore, my conclusion would be that ios apps are sensitive to Roon Core capabilities, at the time and moment of use. So even a monster of resource could fail if resource allocation/availability for Roon is not enough at the very moment you need it! Especially if you would have a large size data base, not even mentioning DSP use (not enabled on my side currently)

Hey Everyone,

I wanted to quickly follow up on this thread to let you all know we haven’t forgotten about this issue! Our developers have spent a considerable amount of time on it, and have been quietly working through a solution. I’m not able to speak on a definitive timeline yet, but there is progress :pray:

On that note, I’d like to reiterate the workaround, for now, if anyone has an interest in getting this set up (disabling your iOS device as an endpoint) please reach out to me and I’ll follow up via PM for the next steps :+1:

We very much appreciate your continued patience while we navigate this issue - Ben

1 Like

Hi Ben. I’d love to try out the patch to solve the iOS crash issue. I don’t use iOS as an end point. Thanks and please advise.

2 Likes

This issue has been causing severe troubles over a very long time! So finally a fix is very much needed.

iPhone 10, 11, 11 Pro Max, 13, same issues. they had disappeared for a while. but these issues that have plagued iPhone have come and gone since forever, wish it could be finally settled.

restarting the rock nuc calms it for a while but I never see these issues on the Mac version.

Looking for a core that disappears and re-appears every 30 seconds is getting quite old also. This can happen on the Mac also to be fair.

This issue has returned for me in the last few days. Using Roon Remote 2.0.01127.

Seems unfair to pay for a premium product that some can’t effectively use while you diagnose problems.

Considered refunds for us on iOS? Or advertising that for throes who need to use VPN that Roon isn’t a viable option?

Hi @John_Hendron ,

Are you seeing this issue on your end? If so, can you please send a message to @benjamin so that we can enable a debugging mode for you and try to pinpoint the issue?

We’ve made a few adjustments to the code to specifically try to debug this behavior, but we have not seen many reports of the issue since then.

If you are impacted, please do let Ben know and we can look into it, thanks!

2 Likes

I’m having the same problem. My roon server broke so I reinstalled it using ROCK.
When logging in with the server using the app (either ios or macos) the app just crashes or stops.

What can I do?
@noris I would be willing using a debugging mode to pinpoint this.
Please let me know what to do on my side

Have a read of my post here, and the subsequent posts in that thread…