iOS devices crashing shortly after startup [See staff post]

Same here. Thanks for fixing this. Took a bit of time but seems done now. :+1:

I can also confirm that this issue has been resolved for me.

The fix mentions ā€œduplicated network interfacesā€ - I run a google mesh Wi-Fi router so 2x access points for the same SSID. Perhaps that was causing this scenario on my device?

Anyway, long time coming but thanks for the fix.

I still get the crash after doing the ā€œRoon Reset Remote on next startupā€ procedure. I submitted the new form along with the requested Network Utilities output.

@support, I find it a bit strange that you have chosen to save crash data into a local file. There are services like AppCenter which provide a very simple integration into your source code and allow automated reporting of crashes. I would suggest to implement that instead of asking users to enable some setting specifically when they get frustrated enough to actually start investigating what options they have.
This way you would get crash info from all users.
Fyi, AppCenter works for many platforms (including android), not just ios

I upgraded to iPad OS 15 today. Just waiting to see how long before Roon crashes on it. iPad OS 13, iPadOS 14ā€¦iPadOS 15 up next. :roll_eyes:

Obviously, I am one of thee of little faith. When I can mention two annual iPadOS versions without a fix, can one really blame me for it? :man_shrugging:

If it works flawlessly with iPadOS 15 Iā€™ll come back to eat crow, Somehow Iā€™m not worried about that part.

Roon on iPadOS 15 doesnā€™t disappoint. It crashes just like it did with 13 and 14. I heard thereā€™s a fix coming for iPadOS 39. :roll_eyes:

My crashes changed. From crashing after a while to crashing when returning to the app.

Weā€™ve got a mesh wifi system, so the networking issue fix probably resolved it.

So the new crashes are when iā€™m listening to music then using other appā€™s, but when i return to roon it instantly crashes. When i start it up again it works fine.

Maybe itā€™s something to do with the lock screen controls beta featureā€¦

I have given up on this ever getting fixed. Two months ago Roon support said they enabled diagnostics on my iPad Pro and they would be in touch. They never followed up and my replies are go unanswered. Given that the crashes have followed me through three major verions of iPad OS Iā€™m assuming they canā€™t fix it and this is the way itā€™s going to be. Ditto for the broken Ipad Pro Magic Keyboard trackpad scrolling fail in Roon.

Iā€™m retiring in March and thatā€™s when my renewal comes up. Might be a good way to save some money. I can probably live with streaming Qobuz on the Naim app.

1 Like

Itā€™s a shame to hear this, I use an iPad Pro for Roon, I keep it up to date and have no issues. If the app ever does become unresponsive, I just clear it with a swipe and re start it. It puzzles me why some people clearly have an issueā€¦

@dylan You see how severe this is to those affected. Whatā€™s the current status on this?

2 Likes

After the update last week my iPhoneā€™s version of Roon is crashing far more often. Server is at build 882. Roon remote on iOS was updated on12/16 (1.18.00880). Iā€™ll use the app, go to something else, and when I come back to Roon, it crashes immediately.

For what itā€™s worth, I just submitted again. Running 882 core with latest app on iOS 15.2. Seeing frequent ā€œjust after startā€ crashes.

Thanks.

I have an iPhone SE with IoS 15.2 installed. Roon app continually crashes. Can you advise how to fix.

There are many reported issues on this one. You may want to peruse to see what has worked for other folks, but to the best of my knowledge there is no fix other than waiting for Roon team to replace Xamarin, which I do not get the sense they are planning to do.

Below is the ā€œmaster threadā€, but if you search for ā€œiPhone crashā€ or iOS crash, youā€™ll find lots of folks reporting. I suggest you join the ā€œmaster threadā€ as keeping things consolidated is very useful.

2 Likes

My iPad continues crashing all the time, and Magic Keyboard Scrolling doesnā€™t work. My plan comes up in a month and I turned off auto-renewal, so I might be done with this. The crashing has persisted through iPad OS 13, 14, 15. I have no confidence it will ever get fixed.

I really want to use Roon but the iOS client is frankly the most unstable app Iā€™ve ever encountered. I want to support Roon but may have to just give up.

2 Likes

Has your account debugging turned on so Roon @support staff sees what causes this?

They say they have. My renewal comes up early April, so Iā€™m thinking about cancelling. If I continue then I may just do a monthly plan and see how it goes.

1 Like

After the latest update The Roon app on iOS started crashing again in less than a minute. I deleted it and restarted phone and itā€™s still happening. The phone gets very hot near the top by the camera before it eventually crashes. Iā€™m interested if others notice this- I am using the phone without a case so itā€™s easy to detect.

I first reported this in a separate thread in 2020 and the behavior still exists. I canā€™t say Iā€™ll renew Roon after this year and need to look for more stable alternatives.

I love streaming but CD playback was far more stable.

Would we willing to share lots of it helps the developers.

1 Like

Exact same issue for me. Hot iPhone 12 Pro max and consistent crashing 19 seconds after opening the app. Not impressed.