iOS devices crashing shortly after startup [See staff post]

Are you indicating you see evidence of memory iserver crashing or an iOS device? What specific evidence in logs do you have for that assessment?

Are you suggesting your software may have a memory leak or I have an issue with either hardware or other software in the device? My device is dedicated to Roon so there’s really nothing consuming memory to any meaningful degree outside of Roon.

I downloaded a memory application on the iPhone. Roon does appear to use a lot of memory running the app. You may have a memory leak somewhere.

Hello @Jeff_Nelson / @roy_langford ,

Yes, we are seeing RAM usage creep up and then we assume that the iOS system forcibly kills the Roon app. We are trying to identify common patterns between reports, can you please confirm if either of you have VPN applications installed on the iOS device? This issue might be related to network interfaces if this is the case.

I do not. But I did factory wipe the iOS device over the weekend. Installed 935 and haven’t had a crash since.

Nope no vpn. It’s a new dedicated m1 Mac mini with little else running. If it’s having a memory issue that’s surely more likely to be a Roon memory leak. I find it implausible that it’s my hardware and given the various pieces of hardware I have used over the years and the dogged nature of crashes on iOS devices - dubious.

Also while I appreciate the follow up - the gaps in responses - it’s so inefficient - that it really makes the issue feel rather futile in terms of actual meaningful support.

Apologies for the candor but that’s where I am in this fumbling support scheme.

What line in your logging points to a memory issue? Can you copy it here specifically?

iPhone 11 user with latest iOS; Roon app been crashing more than ever after latest rounds of Roon updates; Roon is freezing and dying on brand new windows 10 machine with tons of RAM ;

Hi @roy_langford ,

Yes, I can copy it below:

04/08 05:24:48 Error: [RAATServer] [discovery] error sending response: operation canceled
04/08 05:24:48 Error: [RAATServer] [discovery] error sending response: operation canceled
04/08 05:24:48 Info: [stats] iOS memory usage: 441 mb
04/08 05:24:48 Trace: [roonbridge] [sood] Refreshing device list
04/08 05:24:49 Info: [stats] iOS memory usage: 478 mb
04/08 05:24:50 Info: [stats] iOS memory usage: 638 mb
04/08 05:24:51 Info: [stats] iOS memory usage: 888 mb
04/08 05:24:52 Info: [stats] iOS memory usage: 1072 mb
04/08 05:24:53 Info: [stats] iOS memory usage: 1266 mb
04/08 05:24:54 Info: [stats] iOS memory usage: 1457 mb
04/08 05:24:55 Info: [stats] iOS memory usage: 1613 mb
04/08 05:24:56 Info: [stats] iOS memory usage: 1801 mb
04/08 05:24:56 Debug: [easyhttp] [4] GET to https://push-manager.roonlabs.net/1/connect returned after 199 ms, status code: 200
04/08 05:24:56 Debug: [push2] request to push manager successful
04/08 05:24:56 Debug: [push2] push connector url received from push manager: ws://push-connector-v2-0.prd-roonlabs-1.prd.roonlabs.net/
04/08 05:24:56 Trace: [push2] connecting to push2 connector at ws://push-connector-v2-0.prd-roonlabs-1.prd.roonlabs.net/
04/08 05:24:57 Trace: [push2] connected to push2 connector at ws://push-connector-v2-0.prd-roonlabs-1.prd.roonlabs.net/
04/08 05:24:58 Debug: [easyhttp] [5] POST to https://device-map.roonlabs.net/1/register returned after 232 ms, status code: 200
04/08 05:24:58 Trace: [devicemap] device map updated
04/08 05:24:58 Info: [stats] iOS memory usage: 1799 mb
04/08 05:25:00 Info: [stats] iOS memory usage: 1776 mb
04/08 05:25:02 Info: [stats] iOS memory usage: 1724 MB
End of file

To give you some insight into the log trace, it looks like RAATServer (which Roon users to communicate with audio devices, including the iPhone internal speakers) has an error communicating, and then after this error, the iOS memory usage jumps over 1GB usage in 8 seconds.

We have been discussing this issue with our dev team, and they have noted that a RAATServer error like the one referenced in the logs can happen when there is an issue with multiple network interfaces being active on iOs (like when using a VPN for example), and now we are trying to determine if this is the case.

Is there no VPN apps installed on the iPhone at all? If you check under iOS Settings → VPN, are there any VPNs configured at all (even if not currently active)?

I responded directly via email but don’t see it here…so I’ll respond directly.

On my iOS devices I do have multiple vpn configurations and only one active (surfshark in this case). I always switch this active vpn off when listening to music via Roon (even though it seems to work perfectly well with it enabled - I never wanted it as an added potential variable for instability).

Thanks for providing the logging. These data are helpful to provide greater context.

After your logs, on my Roon server I did take the opportunity to ensure wireless is disabled (since it’s otherwise connected directly to the router).

Let me know what further action I might take to try and garner reliable stability.

Is this a iPhone thing ?

I use a iPad Pro 12.9 2020 daily as my primary control device plus an old iPad mini , all I see a quick refresh to connect when I activate the app. Not what I would describe as a crash

Sadly my issues have gotten worse. Since the latest update, I am getting cut outs while playing music - regularly. I am at a point of exhaustion with this app and honestly feel like to just giving up, and using Volumio or Lumin full time. I actually began a Tidal trial (after years of Qobuz) and have to admit to really liking Tidal Connect. It sounds great and the best part it seems to always work. No cutouts - no issues - none. I can leverage this method both via my multiple Volumio instances as well as Lumin. Their interface has also gotten leaps better from the last time I tried it as well…

Back to my issue: After all the cutouts - I took the headless M1 Mac mini hosting Roon out my server room and fired up some basic diagnostics. It’s consuming what to me seems like an inordinate amount of memory (given not much else running and how incredibly efficient M1 is normally managing memory) and I now have to wonder whether there is some meaningful Roon software issue on M1.

The problems just feel endless and I am increasingly backed into a corner. I am sinking hours into the process with no relief seemingly on the horizon.

There’s zero way I will opt for the ridiculously overpriced nucleus (if that even runs any better) and when I ran Rock on a NUC - Roon still had issues with my iOS devices crashing all too often.

At this point - I surrender. If I didn’t have a lifetime membership (which I get Roon has no preference for) I would just terminate my membership. I just caught a thread elsewhere here as I lean further into all of this - with the title “is Roon just a marketing promise?

I haven’t read through that one but it’s an insightful and at this point painfully obvious question.

Hi @roy_langford ,

Thanks for the feedback here. I’ve been discussing this issue further with the team, and this issue does appear to be related to network interfaces, so it is possible that the VPNs, even if not active are causing the issue here, having them installed may cause the issue.

Looking at your logs closer, it looks like these interfaces are the one’s that Roon currently can detect:

04/08 05:24:48 Info: [RAATServer] [discovery] [iface:lo0:127.0.0.1] multicast recv socket is bound to 0.0.0.0:9003
04/08 05:24:48 Info: [RAATServer] [discovery] [iface:lo0:127.0.0.1] multicast send socket is bound to 0.0.0.0:51769
04/08 05:24:48 Info: [RAATServer] [discovery] [iface:pdp_ip0:192.0.0.1] multicast recv socket is bound to 0.0.0.0:9003
04/08 05:24:48 Info: [RAATServer] [discovery] [iface:pdp_ip0:192.0.0.1] multicast send socket is bound to 0.0.0.0:65349
04/08 05:24:48 Info: [RAATServer] [discovery] [iface:en0:192.168.142.131] multicast recv socket is bound to 0.0.0.0:9003
04/08 05:24:48 Info: [RAATServer] [discovery] [iface:en0:192.168.142.131] multicast send socket is bound to 0.0.0.0:62290
04/08 05:24:48 Info: [RAATServer] [discovery] [iface:ipsec8:192.0.0.6] multicast recv socket is bound to 0.0.0.0:9003
04/08 05:24:48 Info: [RAATServer] [discovery] [iface:ipsec8:192.0.0.6] multicast send socket is bound to 0.0.0.0:50991
04/08 05:24:48 Info: [RAATServer] [discovery] [iface:ipsec4:192.0.0.6] multicast recv socket is bound to 0.0.0.0:9003
04/08 05:24:48 Info: [RAATServer] [discovery] [iface:ipsec4:192.0.0.6] multicast send socket is bound to 0.0.0.0:61769
04/08 05:24:48 Info: [RAATServer] [discovery] [iface:ipsec7:192.0.0.6] multicast recv socket is bound to 0.0.0.0:9003
04/08 05:24:48 Info: [RAATServer] [discovery] [iface:ipsec7:192.0.0.6] multicast send socket is bound to 0.0.0.0:51464

We should try to see if temporarily removing these VPN interfaces and leaving only one interface reproduces this issue, with this in mind, would it be possible for you to:

1. Temporarily uninstall/remove any VPN interfaces or configurations you have set up
  2. Perform a full reboot of the iOS device
  3. Verify if the issue occurs after the usual amount of time

@Jeff_Nelson - It looks like your iOS device is exposing similar network interfaces, so if you can perform the above test too, it would be a very helpful data point to have.

Please let us know, thank you.

I didn’t have any VPNs installed. The problem did go away after a full wipe

1 Like

Hello @roy_langford ,

I wanted to reach out to you because in our latest Roon release, we added some more debugging information to iOS logs.

Hopefully, this can help us pinpoint this issue further. Can you please reproduce the issue and then send us a new manual log set and let us know?

Thanks!

1 Like

Sorry for the delay. I had to take a break from this application for a bit. I just uploaded the latest log. Sadly the crashing persists.

5 to 10 seconds after launch - the app crashes.

For the record I removed any prior vpn configurations and just left one (surfshark). If the next request will be to remove that one as well then Roon truly is of no use to me (since I am not keen to use my iPhone as a $1k remote). I must retain other apps that provide the basic utility I require on a daily driver.

I have just been using Volumio Primo into a Chord Qutest and/or Tidal Connect to the Primo since the last time I was in communication. No crashes and works without issue.

Thanks,
R

And just like clockwork the latest Roon update that I just applied - app crashing within 5 seconds.

Honestly at this point just at a loss for words how this instability endures—for years! I have no other application or client/server solution that suffers this kind of reliable instability and of the worst type - total crashes. So painful…

Roon engineers - what more can you suggest? I never heard anything back from the last logs I sent up.

Hi @roy_langford ,

Thanks for the update here. We’ve been looking into this further and believe the VPN profiles may be the cause of the issue. I was wondering if you could please confirm if you temporarily remove Surfshark VPN, does Roon stop crashing?

The current theory is that this VPN is somehow attempting to use the same port on multiple networking interfaces. If we can confirm that this is truly the case (by temporarily removing the VPN), then we would be in a better position to address the issue head-on.

Please let me know if this is possible.

Hello All,

We have recently discussed this behavior and logs gathered from users with the team and the common pattern that we are seeing so far is that the iOS devices exhibiting this crash loop all appear to have multiple networking interfaces active on the same IP/Port, particularly IPsec connections on the IP address of 192.0.0.6, an example of such a log trace can be found below:

Info: [RAATServer] [discovery] [iface:ipsec6:192.0.0.6] multicast recv socket is bound to 0.0.0.0:9003
Info: [RAATServer] [discovery] [iface:ipsec6:192.0.0.6] multicast send socket is bound to 0.0.0.0:64769
Info: [RAATServer] [discovery] [iface:ipsec7:192.0.0.6] multicast recv socket is bound to 0.0.0.0:9003
Info: [RAATServer] [discovery] [iface:ipsec7:192.0.0.6] multicast send socket is bound to 0.0.0.0:64504
Info: [RAATServer] [discovery] [iface:ipsec8:192.0.0.6] multicast recv socket is bound to 0.0.0.0:9003
Info: [RAATServer] [discovery] [iface:ipsec8:192.0.0.6] multicast send socket is bound to 0.0.0.0:65172

For those still impacted by this issue, can you please let us know if you have any VPN profiles installed (even if not active) by navigating to iOS Settings → VPN? Do you have Cisco IPsec profiles set up, or are you using any VPN service in particular? Please, do let us know when possible as it can help us understand this issue better, thanks!

2 Likes

Private Internet Access on my Roon Core, but RoonServer is set to bypass the VPN. No VPN profiles on my iPhone either, either active or disabled.

I do also run pihole on my network.

The thing is they are unable to fix this for good in years. It’s sometimes ok for a couple of months but returns like a nasty flu. And Roon is the ONLY APP to be that unstable IN HUNDREDS.

2 Likes

I was about to respond stating the same thing. My crashes have persisted off and on for years and most predating any VPN configuration whatsoever.

To your point, this same inactive profile (or even active in many cases) impacts exactly no other application that is running on my device. This includes every streaming app (Volumio, lumin, Spotify, Tidal and Quobuz).

I really want to restate my love for Roon. When it’s stable it’s a dream product that makes streaming by and large more enjoyable. Sadly I feel most days especially lately more like they should be paying me as a beta tester.

I will remove surfshark from my primary phone but it will prove nothing. It will also create an untenable use case scenario since the “remote” i use predominantly is the one I have with me. I have no desire for my primary device to run sans equipped with vpn (and especially given it causes no issues elsewhere save for the very few apps that simply will not connect period over any connected vpn).