iOS endpoint problems

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
iMac i9 with latest Catalina (10.15.6) / Roon always up-to-date

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Linksys Velop

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
iPad Pro / iPhone 11 Pro

Description Of Issue
I’ve been using Roon for two months now, deeply satisfied with everything but one issue that is quite important to me.

Using iOS devices (both an iPhone and an iPad Pro with the latest OS and Roon build) the connection is very very unstable. Sometimes the endpoint doesn’t connect at all (keeps saying Enabling).

When it connects, it often plays fine and stops / skips tracks in the middle (even when standing still and not moving through the house). I suspect this could be an issue related to my Linksys Velop system though I haven’t found any fixes.

And while searching this community, I can see many users with the exact problem (sometimes dating back to Roon 1.5) and no apparent fixes. Any suggestions on what I can do to resolve this issue?

Thanks

Do you have a wired Ethernet connection from the iMac i9 to the router or is it wireless?

The iMac is wired to a Velop node, though it is not the main node. It would be quite difficult to connect it to the main node in this configuration.

Ok just to clarify, the iMac is wired to one node but not the node that is wired to the internet so there is still a wireless connection between the core machine and router. I’m not familiar with Mesh systems so have to ask.

Yes, you’re right. Maybe the fault is because of that however I must add that the iMac get exceptional speeds through that method and only Roon (when connecting to an iOS device) seems to be at fault here.

Roon is a heavy network user, more so than PC’s/Laptops and other streaming services. Or so I have ready in many posts on this site.

Is it possible to temporarily locate the iMac close enough to the main router and try the Ethernet there to see if that resolves the issue.

I started out all wireless with my desktop in the bedroom and the router in a media closet about 60 feet away. I had occasional skips and drops but it worked well enough most of the time. My wife allowed me to move my desktop setup close to the router for a week to try Ethernet. That did resolve the occasional issues but I still had to move it back to the bedroom. Seems like it would be worth a try to know.

1 Like

Hi @Bruno_Mello,

Your symptoms sound like your iOS devices are performing some kind of “fast roaming” where they are switching between the two Velop nodes and this is causing an issue in Roon.

If you try to temporarily unplug all but one Velop notes, do you still see this issue occur?

What are you playing out to when the stops occurs? Is it to your iOS zone or to another zone?

Doing that seems to work, yes, but unfortunately I need to have the nodes turned on. Something that I’ve found out online that seems to improve (though not resolve) the situation is “enabling Filter Multicast” in the Linksys settings.

However, I am in the process of switching the Velop to an Ubiquiti Unifi system. I suppose everything should work better then. Anything in special I need to pay attention to?

Thanks.

Hi @Bruno_Mello,

Glad to hear that setting helps a bit! You can also try to see if there’s an option to retain connection to the same access point for a longer time in the settings.

We don’t have any particular suggestions for Ubitquiti systems, but our Networking Best Practices Guide provides some fantastic general networking suggestions.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.