Pro Series iOS Phones Not Locking to Higher 120FPS Refresh Rate [Ticket In: Affecting Pro-Series iPhones]

Coming onto a support thread and defending the poor support people are receiving on this issue is not helpful in the least. It only adds to the frustration and does nothing to move closer to a solution.

3 Likes

Hi @Alan_Barnard and all experiencing these stutter issues. I feel @PixelPopper is trying to say it’s not all iOS users with this issue and this could be why Roon support are struggling to cure the issue.

I have the below iOS devices

3 of iPad Mini 5th gen
iPhone 14 Pro
iPhone 14 Plus
iPhone 11
iPhone 8
iPhone SE 2nd gen

I am yet to experience the stutter/choppy issues.

All I can advise is you send Roon support your log files and state time your experience the issues. This could help them more to pin point personal causes.

I do feel people’s frustrations in this, but diagnosis of a fault in which not all experience it is difficult. Therefore a solution is tricky to formulate.

Might be worth looking at the iOS device in question, back it up and reset it. Try a fresh install rather than restore from backup. I know it could be annoying to set up a iOS device from scratch, but sometimes it’s necessary to eliminate causes.

I wasn’t, and am not, defending anything. I am trying to put a little perspective in the situation having been following the problem since reports started appearing some three years ago.
But I certainly don’t envy the developers who are chasing ghosts trying to resolve the problem.

I honestly can’t remember the specific fix but I know my problems cleared up towards the end of 2022. I’m not sure if it was by specific design or a combination of IOS/Roon updates, obviously others have been less fortunate. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Hi Menzies,

I’ve submitted logs, videos, and everything ever requested on this with little to no follow up from support. And when months later fixes were pushed, the issues were not fully resolved. I think at this point, those users who have not received an explanation as to why this has continued on for over two years are rightfully frustrated and deserve something other than “we’re working on it”.

As for my personal devices, I’ve had the issue crop up on a variety of iOS devices, everything from very old iPhones and iPads, to the latest generation 120hz iPhones (14 Pro Max) and iPad Pros (12.9 Pro). It’s not consistently bad on every device, but it is quite bad on some. It’s generally worse on newer devices with higher screen refresh rates.

My personal belief is that this will never be fully resolved. I’m guessing (only guessing) the issue stems from Roon’s use of Xamarin, the .NET framework. This non-native iOS experience will always be sub par, at least for some users. I can say this: I have well over 100 apps on multiple iOS devices and, among these, Roon is the only app that exhibits this behavior.

Generally, I very much like Roon, but the controller performance on iOS is not up to normal standards for the platform. It’s a trade-off I’ll continue to make for now, though I have to admit that I’m underwhelmed with this part of the Roon experience.

3 Likes

@Alan_Barnard I was under the impression Xamarin is designed for iOS as its a cross-platform for building iOS/Android apps. So issues implementing it would likely be with Xamarin rather than Roon itself. Only maybe

Most modern iOS apps are built using Xcode/Swift. The developers I know don’t speak very highly of Xamarin and the iOS apps built with it. Being a layperson, that’s about as far as my understanding goes. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I didn’t say I fixed it! I said a fix worked for me and clarified that in subsequent posts ……

I honestly can’t remember the specific fix but I know my problems cleared up towards the end of 2022. I’m not sure if it was by specific design or a combination of IOS/Roon updates, obviously others have been less fortunate.

When I scroll through the Roon app on my iPhone, the image is unstable and jittery, not smooth - as if it’s about to fail at any moment. Doesn’t seem to affect functionality except that it’s harder to read. My phone is latest model, I have plenty of storage, and software is up to date for all relevant devices. I’ve tried deleting the app and restoring, but no luck. Any idea what this is or how to resolve?

1 Like
3 Likes

This issue has been ongoing for approaching 3 years. Unfortunately, I don’t expect it to be resolved anytime soon, if ever.

1 Like

Same for me on my iPhone 13 Pro Max. It’s really a shame for the price all of us pay. The app looks good, but just feels very crappy. :frowning:

1 Like

Also scrolling randomly and acutely accelerates (often to the last album). It is utterly frustrating when attempting to group different versions of an album (the app eventually crashes btw).

2 Likes

While understanding you’re displeased with the performance of your particular scrolling behaviour, have you created a support topic?

I don’t see the same issue as you, on any of my 5-6 iDevices?
(And i have complained, vocally, about this behaviour previously)

Mikael,

There have been several, including mine 2 years ago. They all end up merged into this one.

Not everyone experiences this scrolling behaviour, which is not really an excuse for support radio silence.

For me, on macOS and iPad OS scrolling is fine. On my iPhone 13 Pro, it’s not.

1 Like

iPad Pro (11-inch) (4th generation)

Quite near unusable, jumping about when trying to scroll artist bio, every time track playing changes it jumps either back to the very top or changes to an entirely different page. I have to use the computer to properly read anything of length. Remote function is fine, just don’t try to read anything. I’m not going to use a iPhone for this function.

3 Likes

Well, i suppose it would be useful to create new threads, since this is 230 posts long, and totally useless as a support tool? (Which basically applies to most forum based support IMO)

And i agree that some form of statement from the Roon team is way overdue, of course.

1 Like

Shame this is how paying customers are treated.

4 Likes

The problem is more or less known. It seems to be related to the refresh rate management of some iphones/ipads.
Before launching roon, I go to the accessibility settings, animation and I activate the “limit frame rate” feature.
This is not a viable solution and it has been going on for 2 years…

2 Likes

It’s been known for a couple of years now.

At some point improvements have been released and they made the whole experience quite better. However, subsequent updates have undone those improvements.

The reality is Roon need to sort this out and as a curtesy to paying customers affected at least comment/update on here. But it’s apparently too much of an ask.

4 Likes