Pro Series iOS Phones Not Locking to Higher 120FPS Refresh Rate [Ticket In: Affecting Pro-Series iPhones]

Isn’t… it possible, probable even maybe, that a good portion of the ‘scrolling choppiness’ that users are experiencing is due to network lag on their end preventing assets from loading and causing the OS to hiccup as it struggles to pre-load for scrolling?

And, yes, even if this is the case, it needs a solution, but this never-ending b–ching about iOS scrolling is mind-numbing, it can’t be possible that what Roon is fixing is the same as what is causing users’ issues (can it??). There must be some discrepancy to account for the just tremendous amount of time this issue has clung to life.

Pretty useless post I guess, but, honestly, I just wanna know what’s going on.

Isn’t… it possible, probable even maybe, that a good portion of the ‘scrolling choppiness’ that users are experiencing is due to network lag on their end preventing assets from loading and causing the OS to hiccup as it struggles to pre-load for scrolling?

Seems unlikely. I’ve had the Apple Music, Spotify, Tidal, Qobuz, Sonos, and Deezer apps on these same devices on the same network and none of them had this issue. More likely this is some problem with Xamarin/.Net and the refresh rates on certain iOS devices. The scrolling problems are worse for me on the newer 120hz iOS devices.

2 Likes

Juhuuuu - finally with this latest release on my iPhone 12 Pro things are really fluent now. From quickly scrolling through playlists and also when just slightly moving a few entries there as always a massive stuttering short before it came to a standstill. But everything fine so far

3 Likes

Can you expand more on what “worse” feels like to you? And is the choppiness in a particular area of the app or is all scrolling choppy? A screen recording would also be a big help!

@kevin I was referring to the choppy scrolling. It shows up in various places. It’s the most noticeable for me when scrolling within Albums because that’s my most used area, but it does the same on the Home and Artists pages.

I have a screen recording, where should I send it?

You can upload it here: Request Roon User Media - Zoho WorkDrive (zohoexternal.com)

@kevin OK, the screen capture is uploaded. The file name is “m1 ipad pro choppy scrolling.mp4”

Tryed roon tonight after a few month away to see if the scrolling issue is still a problem,updated core and remote to latest fw on win and ios,fired up my iphone 13 pro max which I couldn’t use as it was a stuttery mess,glad to see quite a improvement in scrolling,its not perfect buttery smooth like the tidal native app but its definitely a big improvement,its about 90% fixed,before my iphone felt like it was running at 30hrz now it feels like it’s at 60hrz where the tidal native app feels buttery smooth at 120hrz, but I still feel a slight stutter at times so it still needs work,ipados on my ipad pro feels better aswell,album art loads alot quicker this time,scrolling is better but I’m still feeling stutter and seeing screen tearing at times but a improvement nonetheless,performance feels similar to my iphone but like that it still needs work but I’m glad atleast there now trying to actually fix it after 2y of complaints but this issue should never have took this long in the first place to fix and the fact were still having this issue even though it’s better reminds me I don’t like the direction the roon devs are going in

2 Likes

One thing I should mention is that unless you’re watching the video on a 120hz screen you may not be able to see the full extent of the choppiness.

1 Like

Perfect summary of the status quo!

Fair enough but none of those apps are performing all of the functionality that Roon offers. Even more puzzling is why updates improve the experience for some & make matters worse for others. At times I do wonder if there are hardware (or network) issues due to minor manufacturing differences (e.g. chips that are just within specification).

1 Like

The issue seems to be worse on the newer iPhones and iPads with the 120 hz screens. At least that’s what I’ve noticed personally, and also tracking the issue here on the forum. I still doubt it’s network related, one because this is a problem that seems to have started fairly abruptly in 2019/2020, and two because the actual behavior on the devices simply looks more like a screen refresh issue than a network issue. Whatever the case, this is for Roon to solve since it’s their software running on Apple hardware. If their software won’t run properly on iOS and iPad OS, they need to either solve the problem or state clearly up front that Roon is not optimized for these platforms.

3 Likes

You may well be right but neither my late 2019 iPhone or iPad have had problems and many others experience the same. The inconsistencies suggest there’s more than one issue with the same effect.

1 Like

Yeah, who really knows. Again, this is for Roon to solve if they are at all concerned with keeping what appears to be a significant number of iOS and iPad OS users from eventually looking elsewhere. We’re at over two years now, which seems like plenty of time to resolve what nearly every other iOS developer has managed. There have been some recent improvements, but the issue persists. And they’re still asking users for videos and logs, which frankly is mind-boggling at this point.

I think it is a difficult case to crack considering all the permutations involved.

And let’s just put in perspective.
250k users.
Let’s say 50% are in the Apple ecosystem ( probably more but…).

There are not 125k users with this problem so…

As I said …it’s a tough nut to crack but Roon are working on it for sure.

2 Likes

Linking @Stephen_James ‘s post here since the other ones have been closed.

I’ve tried it and indeed it does improve scrolling.

1 Like

Strange @support didn’t respond in the thread, or did I miss it?

Hey gang, I just wanted to let you know that our latest update, Build 918, has resolved scrolling issues that were still seen in Composition, Playlists, and Tracks view. Can you please install the latest version from the app store. Thanks!

2 Likes

Cheers for the post Jamie :beers:

I am running the latest build on remotes and ROCK and whilst the scrolling has been improved (massive thanks), when turning on screen recording it gets even better. Which is rather strange and we are wondering why this is?

Maybe your or another member of your team can try it.

I doubt I am imagining it :see_no_evil:

1 Like

Well, for me the scrolling is back to the “traditional choppy style” as seen before. It was great in 913 and the previous two releases (i think)

Youtube video doesn’t represent the view properly.
iPad Pro 12.9" 2020 iPadOS15.3.1
Album view (my primary) looks really bad, i think as bad as back in december.
Compositions, artists and tracks scrolls fine, smoth and nice as well as Home-view.