iOS Roon app disconnecting and reconnecting

Hi Dylan I encounter the same problem every 15-20mins and get this message on my iPhone Roon app:

I need to disconnect and re-connect to my WiFi in order to play my music again.

And if reconnecting my WiFi doesn’t work, I need to swtich off and on my Roon nucleas.

Thanks for the report, @CHUN_DING_YU!

To start, may I kindly ask that you please provide a brief description of your current setup using this link as a guide.

Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so we can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

May I also ask that you please verify the following:

• Does this only happen with the iOS Roon app? Are you able to still access Roon using other remotes during this time?
  • Do you have any battery saving features enabled on your iPhone?
  • Are you still able to access the network on the iPhone when this happens?
  • Does this happen when you are using the remote app or only after it’s been idle for some time?

Regards,
Dylan

Hi Dylan I sent you 8 photos that show my iPhone software version, WiFi settings, Roon set up and external HDD. Hope you received all of them. Thanks

Hey @CHUN_DING_YU,

Unfortunately it looks like only one of the photos posted here.Since the photos didn’t come though, can you provide a brief description of your current setup using this link as a guide.

May I also ask that you please verify the following? Knowing this will provide some great insight into what may be happening here:

Thanks,
Dylan

Hi Dylan, thanks for looking into this issue.

I don’t have any power saving settings.

I’ve reproduced the issue at approximately 1:53PM (Sat 16th June 2018) Australia/Melbourne time. The Server is “AUDIOCONTROL”, and the end point is running ropieee.

Aris

I tried killing every other app running on the iOS device, and it seemed to not occur as often as it was before. I was about to say that the issue was fixed - then it came back.

Sigh.

Dylan - I’m sending you a link to the Wireshark packet dump when the issue occurs. Hopefully you can make sense of it.

Aris

Hi Dylan I attach

more screenshots of my Roon settings on my iPhone.

Does this only happen with the iOS Roon app? Are you able to still access Roon using other remotes during this time? ** I have only used my iPhone, and occasionally my iPad, to access Roon.
Do you have any battery saving features enabled on your iPhone? ** which battery save feature are you referring to?
Are you still able to access the network on the iPhone when this happens? ** Yes, the rest of the network was fine
Does this happen when you are using the remote app or only after it’s been idle for some time? ** This happens when I am using the remote app, approx after 15 to 20 minutes of play
For your guide, my Roon is connect to an Ayre QB8 DA converter, and Seagate external HDD. Thanks

Thanks for the info, @Aris_Theocharides!

Now that I have the timestamps, diagnostics have been enabled on your account. The next time your Core is active a diagnostics report will automatically be generated and uploaded directly to our servers

Once that’s been received, I’ll be sure to update this thread and pass the diagnostics over to the team for further analysis. I’ll also be sure to include the info that you sent in the PM.

Regards,
Dylan

One more thing, @Aris_Theocharides.

May I ask that you confirm the name of the iOS device that was used during the test for the timestamp you shared, as well as the name of the Roon Core machine? This way I can ensure that the tech team is referencing the diagnostics report for the correct devices.

Regards,
Dylan

Thanks, @CHUN_DING_YU!

Does this happen for both devices, or only the iPhone?

Do you have Low Power Mode enabled?

Just to clarify, you are actively using the remote and it is not just sitting idle? Is there anything specific you are doing on the device when this happens? Changing tracks, clicking thumbs up/down in radio, etc.

May I also ask that you describe your network setup? Can you give me details on your Core device? Is you Core connected via WiFi or Ethernet? What kind of networking hardware are you utilizing?

Regards,
Dylan

Hi Dylan,
The iOS device seems to be called “Aris iPhone X” and the Roon Server is called “AUDIOCONTROL”.
Aris

Hi Dylan,
The Roon Server is connected via Ethernet (it’s a NUC running Windows Server 2016).
The iOS device is connected via WIFI.
The Roon Bridge is connected via Ethernet.
Hope this helps.
Aris

The issue occurs when I’m using Roon on the iOS device. Doesn’t seem to be related to whether I am actively using it in session or whether I’ve “paused” and looking at lyrics for a track for example. Every few minutes really it will reset connection and state reverts to some previously “saved” state (I’m guessing here as perhaps the Roon controller remembers some sort of context? Not sure how Roon works under the hood.

I’ve enabled Keep screen awake to make sure the iOS device does not sleep.

Aris

Thanks for the info @Aris_Theocharides!

I’ll be sure to get this info to the team so they can review the diagnostics report in reference to the these devices. Once I get feedback from the team I’ll be sure to update you!

Regards,
Dylan

[quote=“dylan, post:22, topic:44235”]
Does this happen for both devices, or only the iPhone?
It happens to both iPhone and iPad

Do you have Low Power Mode enabled?
No, I did not enable Low Power Mode

Just to clarify, you are actively using the remote and it is not just sitting idle? Is there anything specific you are doing on the device when this happens? Changing tracks, clicking thumbs up/down in radio, etc.
Yes, I was actively using the remote, looking for songs, artistes in my own collection and from Tidal

May I also ask that you describe your network setup? Can you give me details on your Core device? Is you Core connected via WiFi or Ethernet? What kind of networking hardware are you utilizing?
My Core device is connected by ethernet to a Wifi router; and this in turn is connect to an optical network router. Both routers are from my broadband service provider.

Hey @CHUN_DING_YU,

Just to clarify:

Your Core is connected to an access point that has a wireless to the “main” router, correct?

If you connect your Core directly to the “main” router, do you still experience this issue?

-Dylan

Both routers are connected by wire, and Roon also by wire. I tried connecting Roon directly to the optical router and the connection dropped after 15-20 minutes as well. In fact, the connection consistently drops after 15-20 minutes each time I start using my Roon