iPad Air remote crashes

I have just installed Roon and Nucleus. My latest version of iPad Air has locked up with a blank screen, three times in the last hour.

My Android phone and MacOS don’t do it,

I recently purchased an iPad Air 3 and had similar difficulties with it. There are two models of the iPad Air 3, 64GB and 256GB. I bought the 64 GB model and could not get Roon to run. I traded it in for the 256GB model and it has been performing flawlessly for the past month.

I wonder which model you have and whether the amount of onboard memory is an issue for you.

John…I have the 64gb version. The processor is the same on all models, can’t see why there would be a difference between the 64gb version, and those above.

I don’t know why either. I was trying to figure out why I was having the problem and, in the middle of the night, I remembered there were some spec requirements published by Roon. Without checking them (which I forgot to do), I took it back to the store.

One of the Apple Store employees checked to make sure the iPad was functioning correctly. He was unable to find any problems with it or offer any explanation for why Roon wouldn’t work on it.

I traded it in for the more expensive model (about $300 difference).

The “why” remains a mystery.

[Addendum] – After thinking about this a bit more, I remember being surprised at how much of the 64gb memory was filled with programs and apps that came with it (some of which I deleted but the problem remained). I am now wondering if the operational issues were due to having an inadequate amount of memory for Roon to do its thing.

@John_Roberts I think I have the 64 gb model, its older. Thanks I’ll check for sure.

Hi @DJM,

Is there any change if you reboot the iPad or uninstall and reinstall the Roon app?

Hi dylan…I’m scared to say it, but the iPad has been working perfectly for the past two days

As I mentioned to someone else in the thread, I reduced the Photos/Artwork size from 256mb to 64mb. Don’t know if that an influence on the issue?

Hi @DJM,

It’s possible that this could have helped if the crash was occurring due to an excess of memory usage. Please do keep us updated if you see this issue return and we can take a closer look.

Thanks!

Thank you dylan, I will.

I have to say, I am so pleased that I chose Roon and the Nucleus. The aftercare technical help is first class. Thanks :+1:

1 Like

@dylan Ok I checked my iPad and it only has 32gb. The artwork setting is the lowest at 64gb. Do you see this as a problem?

UPDATE: I can confirm that when my iPad used to crash, it was nothing to do with Roon. I deleted the Roon app. Tried to open ‘Photos’ and other apps, and the iPad would continuously crash. Now, it will not turn on or off.

Conclusion…The iPad has developed a fault, nothing to do with Roon. A false alarm!

iPad sent back to John Lewis for repair.

Thank you to all those that contributed to my OP.:+1:

Thanks for the update, @DJM! I’m glad you were able to get this figured out. Please feel free to reach out if you ever have any questions or issues.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.