iPad as remote control very slow to connect to Roon core

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Intel NUC7I7BNH Operating System Version 1.0 (build 183) stable

Roon Server Software Version 1.7 (build 505) stable

ipad os13.1.3 - remote control

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Virgin Media Hub 3.0

Core via Ethernet

iPad via wireless

Both on same network with same netmask

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

One audio endpoint direct from core to Chord Qutest DAC via usb

Description Of Issue

I use my iPad to control Roon and it has become very slow to find and connect to the core; it was almost instantaneous but now take 4 or 5 minutes before connecting. Other than Roon / Apple updates there have been no hardware changes to my setup - help please!

Hi @Michael_Bunting,

Does this happen every time you open up the Roon app on the iPad or does this only happen after a reboot of the Core machine?

Are other remotes also showing this issue?

Hi Dylan

It only seems to happen after starting the Core machine - once the connection has been made if I close the iPad and then re-open the Roon app there is no problem.

The iPad is the only remote I use

Thanks for the information, @Michael_Bunting.

The next time this happens I’m hoping you can do the following:

1. If you have another remote that you could use as a test, can you verify if the same issue occurs there?
  2. Please make a note of the time that you notice the issue occur
  3. Access the Web UI and let us know if RoonServer is running. You might want to refresh a couple times and see if this changes

Thanks!

Hi Dylan

Thank you for getting back to me.

1 I have put the remote on my iPhone and the problems seems the same there.

2 I started the Core at 17.17

3 When I first checked the web UI it showed that RoonServer was running but then after a couple of “refreshes” it reported that it wasn’t but then after a further “refresh” it reported that it was but the remote still took a long time to connect after this.

Thank you for your ongoing help!

Hi @Michael_Bunting,

Thanks for the followup here! I’ve enabled diagnostics so the technical team can take a look at what was occurring on your device during this time. The next time your Core machine is active the diagnostics report will be sent to our servers. Once they is received the team will analyze the report and I’ll follow up as soon as they’ve provided feedback.

A post was split to a new topic: iPad remote connection is interrupted and tries to re-connect without success

Thank you! I will be putting my machine on shortly.

Hi @Michael_Bunting,

I just wanted to reach out and confirm that the diagnostics reports was received by the technical team. I’ll follow up once they’ve provided feedback from their investigation.

Hi Dylan
Many thanks for the up date!
Best wishes
Mike

Hi Dylan

Happy New Year!

I was just wondering if there has been any news from the technical team - I appreciate that there was a little festivity that will have slowed things down!!

Best wishes
Mike

Hi @Michael_Bunting,

Apologies for the delayed response here.I do have some good news, which is that our technical team has been able to reproduce this behavior and we’ve opened up a bug report with our developers.

While I can’t say for certain when this bug will be fixed, getting things reproduced in-house is a critical first step, and I will keep this thread up to date as the team passes along feedback and work begins to get this resolved. Thanks again for the report!

Thank you Dylan!

Hi Dylan

I was just wondering if there was any news from the team regarding a solution?

Hi @Michael_Bunting,

I checked our internal tracker and have confirmed that this is still with our development team. They’ve made some changes and are continuing to test and make some further changes, but I can’t say for certain when a change here will be available. As soon as we have more information I’ll be sure to reach out and let you know!

Hi @Michael_Bunting,

We’ve recently released RoonOS (Build 186) which includes changes that should improve this behavior. Please give it this a try and let us know how it goes!

You can read the full release notes here:

Thanks,
The Team at Roon Labs

Seems to be to be improved. The connection from my iPad to my ROCK completes in about 5s now.

1 Like

Seems much better - back to how it was before the problem occurred - thank you very much!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.