iPad can see the Core - "Choose Your Roon Core" and "Looking for Roon Core"

My 2p. You’ve got a lot of irons in the fire in this thread. ffmpeg is the least of your problems and it isn’t effecting logging in to the Nucleus. Leave that alone for now; it’s just another point of frustration for you.

2 Likes

Hi Alan, I’m curious… Any further developments in your mysterious case??

Thanks for asking Andreas,

I tried using a PC yesterday, but it too couldn’t find the Nucleus. I then followed the last suggestion, to take the Roon to a “friend” and try it on their WIFI. I actually took it back to the store where I purchased it, and they are going to see what they can do. Using their WIFI, etc.

Ah ok… Please keep us posted about this mystery; I’d really love to learn what was at the root of your problem, once it gets solved. Good luck!

I’m sorry, so much inconvenience.
All the best for your nucleus from me too!

Small followup. The people at the store told me the Nucleus is “locked up,” or has gone into “vapor lock” (not sure if that is an actual technical term or just something from Star Trek). So they are going to contact Roon Service and try to find a solution. They say this has happened in the past and, in most cases, the nucleuses were revived.

Hi Alan, thank you for letting us know…

Nothing I’d ever heard before in relation with computing devices… I don’t know what that could mean in technical terms, but I sincerely hope that you get your device back soon, working as well as before.

Absolutely absurd. Vapor lock used to happen to 1980’s Porsches and involved the fuel delivery system.

In reference to the Nucleus, it’s a made up term. When you pick up your ‘unlocked’ Nucleus, don’t be shy. Ask them exactly what they meant and what they did to fix it. This has all the sounds of a scam.

What kind of store was this? Wal-mart?

1 Like

^^^
are these the same folks that used to recharge plasma displays?

Today there has come up a new thread by another user who experiences the same problem:

On that thread, @danny from Roon brings up the question if the user has previously set up a static IP on his Nucleus… Thing is, if this is not done right (configuring the router’s DHCP service to keep this IP reserved for the Nucleus), at any time the router’s DHCP service could assign this same IP to another device on the network, which always leads to problems. To avoid such problems, it’s better to just let the Nucleus ask the DHCP server for its IP, and set up on the router the address reservation.

So Alan, this of course could possibly also be the underlying problem in your case. Do you remember having set up at any point of time in the past a static IP for the Nucleus on the Nucleus WebUI?

If so, now that the Nucleus is disconnected from your network, if you try to ping the known IP of the Nucleus, what’s the output? If you’re still up to make this probe, you can again try to ping the known IP from the Terminal app on your Mac:

ping -c 10 192.168.1.175

@Andreas_Philipp1
Unfortunately, the OP has already tried to reset the network:

Unfortunately, that’s exactly what I think.

Isn’t it because of this possibility that he installed ROCK as a completely new OS? ROCK, once installed, immediately was assigned the same IP as the Nucleus before… and showed the same problem of ping response without access to the WebUI or by the Roon remotes. At this point I am not sure of anything, but if it were me, I would look and try to discard once more the possibility that another device on my network had been assigned the same IP.

No:

All network settings will now be reset and you can try connecting to the Core once more.

I also think that this is strange information, no idea about Star Trek though.
Maybe by ‘vapor lock’ they mean something like damage from overheating. But in that case, it would be crucial to know exactly what was damaged, because it makes a big difference, whether only a RAM stick or an M.2 ssd needs to be replaced or a fried motherboard.

I’m sure “vapor lock” is a euphemism for “the darned thing doesn’t work.” They are a very reputable business, I have dealt with them for over 20 years and never felt they would scam me (except for their prices which are high and often not discounted much if at all). I don’t want to mention their name here, not sure what the rules of this community site are, but they are pretty much the best (and really only) audiophile store in the Buffalo area. It just sucks that we pay an annual fee just to use Roon’s software, and now I’ve lost about 2 weeks of this year. And counting.

The Nucleus will have its 3rd birthday on March 5th. You’re all invited, though it may end up being a wake. Seriously, is this what we should expect, less than 3 years use from a fairly expensive (for what it is, basically a single-purpose “computer”) product, sold by a reputable audio store? Anyone have any idea what the average lifespan of a Roon Nucleus is? I’ve had goldfish that lived longer.

Let us know what ‘Roon Service’ has to say and whether it’s any different that what you would get from @support on this forum.

Since you are out of warranty, please check back here for solutions that won’t waste your money by adding income to your trusted dealer’s bottom line.

Thanks Soylent. Though you spoiled the movie for me! I’m going to watch Titanic now–don’t tell me if the ship makes it.

1 Like

I did try to ping the address in terminal, and just get repeated messages that the host is down, no route to host. So it sounds like this IP address was just for the Nucleus.

1 Like

Yes, thank you. All taken together, this unfortunately doesn’t look good…