iPad/iPhone cannot find Roon Core

Roon Core Machine

Windows 10 Intel(R) Core™ i5-8400 CPU @ 2.80GHz 2.80 GHz, 16GB ram

Just signed up for Roon. I have been using my Bluesound Node (130) for the past week and it has worked flawlessly hard wired to my router (Verizon fios white router)
I just downloaded the roon application and gotten it going on my pc. It recognized everything in my system with no apparent problems including my Bluesound Node.
When I downloaded the app for my Ipad/iphone it does the following:

1. “looking for your Roon Core” this is constant
  2. I have checked that the roon app is allowed to access the local network
  3. I have checked that my Roon core software on my PC (version 2.0) is

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Verzon fios gigabit connection. white cylindrical router standard

Connected Audio Devices

Bluesound Node - hard wired to router on same subnet as computer running the Roon Core

Number of Tracks in Library

6,938 tracks in music library

Description of Issue

Just signed up for Roon. I have been using my Bluesound Node (130) for the past week and it has worked flawlessly hard wired to my router (Verizon fios white router)
I just downloaded the roon application and gotten it going on my pc. It recognized everything in my system with no apparent problems including my Bluesound Node.

When I downloaded the app for my Ipad/iphone it does the following:

1. “looking for your Roon Core” this is constant and it has never successfully connected over the last several hours.
  2. I have checked that the roon app is allowed to access the local network - it is
  3. I have checked that my Roon core software on my PC (version 2.0) is set to allow connections for remotes it is
  4. I have checked that the Bluesound Node is on the same subnet as the PC- it is.
    |Node |192.168.1.154|
    |ipad|192.168.1.170|
  5. I have uninstalled and reinstalled both the Roon software on my PC and both the Ipad and my iphone to see if it helps and it has not.
    I have rebooted my verizon router to no avail.
    One thing which would happen was I would keep seeing “cannot find Roon Core” but whenever I restarted the application on my PC it would suddenly see the core and automatically try and connect (connect button was greyed out) always unsuccessfully. I have never had connection work
    Since rebooting my router I no longer even get that.

Could the Windows firewall be intervering?

1 Like

@Marshall_Hughes, welcome to the Community. As @SandsOfArrakis notes, your Windows firewall needs exceptions for both roon.exe and raatserver.exe so the Core and endpoints can communicate with each other. Are these exceptions currently in your Windows firewall rules?

Sands,
the windows firewall is not on and it still does not connect. I have a new problem now.
My Bluesound player now suddenly no longer connects to either my phone or my ipad. It still shows connected to Roon on my pc however of course I cannot and have not ever gotten that to work.
So suddenly I no longer can stream music at all from the Bluesound node.
This is very strange as everything else on the network works fine.

Have you tried rebooting your W10 PC and restarting Roon? Is your W10 Core connected to your FiOS router also with an Ethernet cable connection? Also, is your W10 Network connection set to Private mode?

Robert_F,
I have rebooted my PC and restarted Roon several times.
Both the PC and the Bluesound are both connected wired to the same router in the same subnet.
I am not 100% sure how to check to see if my W10 network is set to private mode.
Roon of course still connects but is of no use since my PC only has weak speakers from my monitor and I need to run my stereo (Bluesound Node) from my ipad/iphone devices.

There is another issue now since I have installed Roon. I can no longer connect to my Bluesound Node with my Ipad / Iphone via the Bluesound BlueOS. It keeps asking me to add a player so I try.
Does the Roon somehow gain exclusive access? Shouldn’t I be able to access my Bluesound Node via the BlueOS?
It worked flawlessly before I started with Roon but now nothing.
I have just unsuccessfully tried 4 times to get my Bluesound Node to connect to my ipad/iphone with it failing each time.
I have also already reset the Bluesound to factory twice during this process hoping it would reset and get me back to at least having a device which worked but for whatever reason it does not setup like it did when I first pulled it out of the box.
I am now thinking that I may have to return the Bluesound Node.

If you close Roon, can you connect to your Node with your iPad or iPhone via the BluOS app over WiFi?

When I close Roon and try to setup the Bluesound Node it gets further than before but ultimately it cannot complete the setup.
I just tried again after the 4th reset of my BlueSound Node and it shows me the player hotspot but will not allow me to select and add it. I am going to try and completely uninstall Roon and reboot and see if I can get back to where I was before all this started.

Robert,
I just uninstalled Roon completely and rebooted my computer and managed to get my iphone to work with the Bluesound Node. I still cannot get the Ipad to but will try after I get back in town.
I thank you guys for your help but I have basically spent the last 4 hours of my day off not listening to music and dealing with this and now I have to go out of town and will not be back until Monday.
I suspect that this thread will be closed by then and between now and then I need to decide whether or not to cancel my Roon trial as I am convinced that this was all caused by installing Roon as uninstalling it seems to have fixed the problem.
My rational self tells me this can’t be true but my irrational frustrated self is convinced of it.
Seeing this and seeing the myriad of other problems on this board suddenly are making me think that what I really wanted was a simple way to stream high quality music to my stereo. What I don’t want is a very fussy installation which I will constantly be tweaking to keep working the way I want to.

thanks again for your help.

As long as the problem is unsolved, the thread will stay open for a month.

Plenty of people run Bluesound Node with Roon, no problem.

Tagging @support for this.

2 Likes

Well just got back in town 1 hr ago and tried this again. I am having the same issue as before. I reinstalled Roon on my PC and again neither of my roon players on my Ipad or Iphone can connect despite being on the same submask. I have also temporarily disabled my antivirus and the firewall was not on in a desperate bid to see if that was the problem but no go.

What I have learned this go around.

1. The devices both say "looking for your roon core " and stay that way unless I toggle the “Accept Connections from remotes” switch when toggled back on both devices show the roon core (my pc) but despite saying “connecting” with a red dot next to it the connect button is greyed out and it never connects. (it never has) and eventually goes back to “looking for Roon core”
  2. After continued confusion and reading just about every article under “looking for your roon core” on google/support I got frustrated and went back to the roon player. I had the Bluesound node playing this whole time. I clicked on a song in the roon on my PC and it changed the Bluesound node app to that particular song and continued playing. The same happened when I selected different songs on the roon on my PC.
    When I went back to the Bluesound Node to change the song to something different I suddenly get the message “roon lost control of the audio device because the input was switched” message.

Also whenever I reselect a track from the roon on my pc my ipad plays it and shows a tiny “r” next to the song in place of my Qobuz app.
So I have another dumb question. Am I to assume that when Roon is working properly that I run everything remotely from roon right and the Bluesound Node is not controlling anything?

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.