iPad Not Listed in Audio Zones

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Mac Mini / late 2014 / High Sierra 10.13.6
Roon / 1.7 / build 571

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Wifi AirPort Extreme

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

1. Roon Bridge / Allo DigiOne / SPIDIF to Dac
  2. ChromeCast / Endpoint
  3. iPad Air / Remote
  4. Windows10 / Remote

Description Of Issue
Hi @nuwriy,

Time stamp: 10:50am Eastern Daylight Time

Repeatedly my iPad is not being listed in the Zone selection. So I went to the Setting > Audio and found that the ipad was hung up. It is stalled here and has been “Enabling” for over 10 minutes. Pressing the refresh arrow and leaving the page doesn’t help the iPad get enabled. Force quite and restarting does fix the problem.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Regards,
Jason

Is the ipad on 571 as well?

Yes, iPad is 571.

Hello @Jason, have you tried reinstalling on the iPad since this started? Are you getting this behavior from any other device?

I’ve had several instances where my Ipad didn’t show up in the zones in Roon on my iPad. But, if I shutdown the Roon app and then reopen it, it always shows up. I’ve just been chalking it up as one of the quirks of the iPad Roon app.

Yes, that quirk lead to my curiosity. I checked the Setting > Audio and saw that the iPad was hung up during “Enabling…”.

Hi again @nuwriy,
Yes, I notice this behaviour in my iPhone app as well. I will try reinstalling.

Thanks,
Jay

Hi @nuwriy,
Just following up regarding the original post.

I just got a photo off the iPhone app showing the app being hung-up in trying to get the iPhone on to the Zones list.

@nuwriy

While the iPad is not displayed in the Zones list, I captured a photo of the core showing “Enabling” being hung up for the iPad. I observed this for over 20 minutes. This is after I reloaded the iPad app as well.

Time stamp- 5:33 EDT

Hey @Jason, thanks again for the update and the timestamp. I have requested diagnostics from your iPad and the core, and in order for them to come in, both the core and your iPad need Roon open and running. When you get a chance, please start up Roon and I’ll get the info over to the team!

Hi @nuwriy,
As instructed, iPad and Core are up and running.

Please let me know if there is anything else your team needs at my end.
Thanks,
Jason

This happens to me often… mostly with my iPhone but occasionally with my iPad as well. What always works is if I close the Roon app and then reopen it. The iPhone or iPad zone then shows up.

Not a big deal but it is annoying.

Hey @Jason, thanks again for the help! I was able to get diagnostics and get them over to the team. I’ll be back with more info!

I am also getting this every other day or so on iPad. Shutting the App and restarting fixes it. But it is annoying.

Hi @nuwriy,
I’ve just set up Roon 2 days back and in discovery phase. I have been experiencing similar issues as @Jason. I can see my Core (innuos Zen Mini MK3) and both of my Roon ready end points (Nain Uniti Nova & Naim Mu-so Qb2). However, I have only been able to see my IPhone 7, iPad gen6 and MacBook Pro 2012 occasionally.

Is this issue being. handled by the support team?

Thanks,
Tolga

I wonder if this problem is unique to the iPhone/iPad apps… do Android phone/tablet users have this problem with the Roon app? If not, I’d be tempted to pickup an inexpensive Android tablet just for Roon.

1 Like

Hi @nuwriy,
It’s been a while regarding this issues. I have made changes to my system that I hope would solve the issue and help your team figure this out. I have gone through the expense of hardwiring the Roon Core that was previously on wifi. Unfortunately it has not changed the behaviour of the iPad as described in the original post.

Thanks,
Jason

Hello @Jason, thanks for giving that a try! I’d like to collect a new set of diagnostics so we can see if the same errors are still being presented. Could you please reproduce the issue one more time and reply here with a timestamp of when you try to enable the iPad? I’ll add the new data to our existing investigation and get back to you.

Hi @nuwriy,

Time stamp: 11:38am EDT

I was able to reproduce this again, started the iPad remote and it is not listed in Zones. Looking at Settings > Audio, I can see that “Enabling…” is hung-up as described above.

Thanks,
Jason

Hi @nuwriy

Time Stamp. 6:07pm EDT
Same thing, reproduced iPad not on Zones again.

Thanks,
Jason