iPad Pro Compatibility

Zoom will work but portrait wont since it lacks horizontal real estate.

Lack of portrait mode shouldn’t present a problem for me. Really looking forward to my new toy.

Great, what build will that be in?

next public release

Have the larger iPad Pro … works a treat. Easy to handle and snappy.

If I’m going to buy a new iPad to serve as my remote for Roon, would you recommend the iPad Pro large screen, the iPad Pro small screen or the iPad Air 2? Is the only difference in the Roon experience screen size or are their other advantages to the iPad Pro? For example, would I be able to run Roon without using my PC if I was to get an iPad Pro?

I love it on the big iPad Pro… such a great screen, and fast machine, to run Roon. All iPads are still remotes, so you still need a Core somewhere.

Also: the 12,9" iPad Pro shows more albums / artists on screen, compared to the mini and 9,7" iPads.

Do I need to buy additional memory on my iPad Pro to run Roon Remote properly, or does Roon Remote not take up a lot of memory?

1 Like

Nope. The basic 32GB model will be fine.

Cheers, Greg

Great, thanks!

Hi,

I’m using the iPad Pro 12.9" and I’m always in portrait mode but I have a small/minor issue and am wondering if it’s anything specific to my setup or a more general issue.

When scrolling through my album list the last 12 album cover images always load slow the first time. After the page has loaded and I go back to it from a page before of after it it’s quick and probably loaded from cache. This doesn’t happen in any of the other collection views. It’s as if the 7x7 albums don’t fit in an initial buffer or something. It’s also fine in landscape mode but it then only has to load and show 7x4 album covers.

Today I’ve upgraded my WiFi router to an AC1900 one but there’s no difference. Roon Server runs on a dedicated Windows 10 Pro machine with a Core i5 3570K quad core CPU, 8GB of memory, database on SSD.

Anyone else having this minor issue or do the Roon guys know of it/is it reproducable?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Mine does the same, don’t find it to much of a problem as it doesn’t affect playback.

Thank you Nick. I’ll stop looking for a cause in my own setup.

It’s certainly a minor issue, even cosmetic only.

What is this?

weird typo… i fixed it… the tablet/desktop ui is built for a certain number of pixels at a certain dpi… that’s why we only do landscape on ipads, as they are all 1024 wide and the dpi is fine

the huge ipad pro actually can do the same pitch horizontally in portrait mode, so no reason to not support portrait there. in portrait on the big ipad pro, its like making the desktop app as narrow as itll go and very tall.

1 Like

Ah, makes sense.
I thought it was some advanced technical abbreviation I wasn’t familiar with…

(As I have said) the Surface Book allows detaching the display and using it as a tablet, and it has almost exactly the same width, height, thickness and weight as the large iPad. And it works the same way, including portrait mode.

I see your point about the value of the big screen. Nonetheless, when I needed to replace my lost iPad, I got the 9.7" iPad Pro. Smaller size and weight decided it for me.

My recently purchased iPad Pro 9.7 128gb sure operates Roon remote a bunch better than my iPad Air 16gb. Everything loads faster with the processor improvements.

Other then loading faster what are the other pros of I pad pro 9.7 vs I Pad Air ?