iPad Pro with Ethernet connection and HDMI to TV

I picked up a USB-C to Ethernet adapter for my IPAD PRO to try a wired connection for my dedicated Roon Remote. It did provide a faster remote experience but it was necessary to switch back to WiFI so I could charge the battery.

Ordered a Satechi Aluminum Multi-Port Adapter V2 and it arrived this afternoon. The ports on this adapter includes HDMI 4k, Ethernet, 3 - USB 3.0 type a, 2 micro cards slots and a pass-through power port.

Was hoping to at least be able to charge the IPAD with Ethernet connected, and it worked, but I got a bonus of the Roon Remote display on the LG 4K 65 inch TV at the same time.

Nice to see what your listening to from a distance with the Now Playing screen.

Has anyone else tried this? I didn’t find a topic that mentioned it. Sorry if this is duplicate information.

Update: I forgot to mention that the Ethernet connection, with the original Belkin USB-C to Ethernet adapter, apparently draws more power from the battery than the wireless connection, and continues to drain the battery when the screen if off. Probably the adapter itself drawing power and continuing to draw power when the IPAD in not being used.

With the wireless connection the IPAD battery, fully charged, would last a week using Roon daily for several hours without the Keep Awake setting on.

It seems to be good for about 1 day with Roon active, the Keep Awake setting on, and using the Ethernet adapter with no power connection.

Not an issue for me since I don’t use the IPAD for anything but Roon Remote. Just unplug the adapter from the IPAD when not in use.

3 Likes

If your DAC has a ethernet connection to the Router, why do you need to get a ethernet connection to the ipad. It is only the volume, play, FF, skip songs remote for Digital stream to the DAC? a little faster response time? and able to charge at the same time?

watch out for burn in on the monitor

You could also try this with the apple 4K HDMI, USB-A and USB-C IIRC with a USB-Ethernet on the USB-A, 4K tv on the HDMI and charger on the USB-C

My Satechi is a dual port with no ethernet as is the single port Satechi I have but I have used the later while in hotels and villa’s when traveling.

It’s fun doing speed tests on a gigabit ethernet connected iPad tho :wink:

1 Like

I had noticed a difference between Roon Remote on my PC and on the IPAD, scrolling through albums (library, Recommendations, Tidal, Qobuz, etc…) and reload time (ROON Icon stays on the screen).

Wanted to see if Ethernet connection was possible and if it made any difference. The IPAD is dedicated and stationary on a stand so being wireless isn’t necessary.

How is that speedtest done on the IPAD? Something builtin or with a browser like my PC.

I do have some concerns about burn in but the LG has some kind of pixel shifting technology that is supposed to help with that. I just started having the Now Playing screen on the TV yesterday and do want to use it for a couple of hours at a time.

There is also an USB C Apple adapter that give both a female USB B port and a USB C for charging the iPad

Speedtest app from ookla