iPad remote connection is interrupted and tries to re-connect without success

Hi Dylan,

same issue here with iPad remote:

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

NUCLEUS Operating System Version 1.0 (build 183) stable
Roon Server Software Version 1.7 (build 505) stable
ipad os13.3 - remote control

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Fritzbox 7490
Core via Ethernet
iPad via wireless
Both on same network with same netmask

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
via USB to MUTEC MC-1.2

Description Of Issue
iPad remote connection is interrupted and tries to re-connect without success.
The remote by iPhone or MacBook works fine. Web Ui shows that server is running.
UPDATE: The music just stopped playing, no iPad connection to roon and I checked server status immediately. It was not running anymore and restarted by itself. After restart iPad connects again.
Facing this issue since I enabled convolution in DSP.

Thanks,
Tylo

Hi @Tylo,

Does this issue of music stopping and Roon restarting go away if you stop using convolution?

Hi @dylan,

was not able to reproduce the failure until today.
Meanwhile roon was updated to build511.

Actual failure symptom:
iPad remote connection is interrupted and tries to re-connect.
Music via qobuz is continuously streaming. I checked server status with iPhone remote. Everything is OK, server has not restarted since power-on today.

Closing iPad app and re-open solves the problem.

iPad Pro 10,5“ (MPDY2FD/A)
IOS 13.3

Thanks for the update, @Tylo.

To verify:

• This this behavior occurs, other remotes are able to continue using Roon without issue
  • Closing the app and re-opening resolves the issue

Have you seen this occur with any other remotes? Is the iPad your primary remote?

Since it doesn’t seem to happen often, have you noticed any patterns in what seems to cause this behavior? Any specific pages you have opened, other apps being used, or anything else like that?

Hi @dylan

thanks for following up, I think I have two different issues. First I would like to confirm for iPad remote issue:
** This this behavior occurs, other remotes are able to continue using Roon without issue*
-> Yes, others are working fine.
** Closing the app and re-opening resolves the issue*
-> Yes, when re-opening it connects immediately.

Have you seen this occur with any other remotes? Is the iPad your primary remote?
-> iPad is primary remote, problem occurs with iPad remote only. No specific app was used, occurs when unlocking iPad.
The interrupted connection of iPad remote is a little bit annoying, but no big issue.

The 2nd problem is that Roon Server Software stops running and needs more then 2-3 minutes to restart. Normal restart takes 5 sec. Offcourse in this case all remotes do not connect.

When server stops while playing roon radio the actual song was played long enough that the download from internet has been finished and the data should be buffered completely into Nucleus. (I checked in online monitor of my router AVM Fritzbox 7490, hard wired to Nucleus.)

Hi @Tylo,

In the Nucleus Web Administration Interface does it show that RoonServer has stopped? How often does this occur? Have you noticed any patterns here? Is it always during playback?

Hi @dylan
When Roon Server stops during playback the admin web interface cannot be loaded for a while. Red banner shows “Failed to load device state (status: 0) Please refresh.”
(I made a screenshot with time 09:07 p.m.)
When it has restarted the running time of RoonServer is starting from 0 sec.
(I made a screenshot with time 09:09 p.m. Roon Server Running: 12 seconds, others 10 hours)
I frequently check the admin interface since first problems occurred and I can say that it happens always during playback. Never saw a different running time for Roon Server and Operation System/Roon Labs Software during last weeks.
Last weekend it happened two times that playback stopped, after flawless playing since first occurrence on 19. Dec.
Cannot identify any pattern. No other device or remote was in use when problem occurred. Was just listening.

Hi @Tylo,

The next time this happens would you kindly:

• Make a note of the time you notice that RoonServer is not running
  • Make a note of the time that RoonServer starts working again
  • Use the directions found here and send us over a set of logs using a shared Dropbox link.

Respond here with a link to the logs and the two timestamps mentioned above in your local timezone and I’ll pass this along to the technical team for investigation.

Thanks!