iPad12.9 Roon Remote Issue

Hi @Mike_LC,

Thanks for sharing those screenshots, it is appreciated! I have forwarded the screenshots to QA, let’s see if they have any further questions, thanks!

Hi @Mike_LC,

I spoke with the QA team about the status of their investigation into this issue and I wanted to follow up with you here. After much testing, the team is rarely able to see a similar issue to the one you’re reporting here. The team has not been able to consistently get into this state the same as you have been able to.

The investigation is ongoing, but ultimately this will depend on the team being able to more consistently reproduce this behavior. If you have any additional information about the setup of your iPad or more detailed steps that seem to result in this behavior occurring more often please do let us know and I’ll be sure to pass that along to the team.

In the meantime we will be sure to update you if when we have more information from our ongoing investigation.

Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks @dylan. You mentioned “rarely and not consistently” so it sounds as if the issue has happened to someone other than myself. If that is the case - it would actually be comforting to know it’s not just my new IPAD.

I have not been able to detect any patterns or force the issue. The only consistent part, so far, is it only occurred when I leave the IPAD on the queue screen.

I think on the next occurrence I will pick overview from the menu first instead of the queue button and see what happens. No reason other than to try something different. Maybe let it ride to see if it happens again without deleting and reinstalling the app. Thanks again…

Hi @Mike_LC,

Thanks for the additional info. If you are able to get into this state through overview that would be a good data point, as well as noting if you can get out of this state without reinstalling the app.

QA has seen this behavior before once, but getting this issue reproducible on a consistent basis is needed to put in a ticket for the developers, so do let us know if you have any new findings. Thanks!

Here we go again. @dylan @noris. Issue occurred between 7:45 to 8:00 AM on Jan 23 2020.

Had the kitchen zone playing with the IPAD on the queue screen.

Decided to start Roon on the PC in the bedroom so I could group the zones.

Usually, Roon on the PC pops right up with the Overview screen ready to go, but this time the Roon ICON stayed in the middle of the Roon screen on the PC for longer than usual, maybe 20 to 30 seconds. I did not see any indication it was waiting for the Core. When the overview screen did appear on the PC the display was normal, the forward direction button was there as usual. The zone that appeared on the PC screen was for the PC zone and not grouped with any other zones. I suspected the issue had occurred on the IPAD and didn’t touch anything on the PC.

Went to the living room and found the IPAD in the blank screen condition, as suspected, with the MENU/Bookmark/Search options at the top, no direction arrows, and the progress bar at the bottom.

This time, instead of hitting the queue button on the IPAD, I used the MENU to select Overview. Overview screen did appear but without any direction buttons. Just like it did with the Queue screen.

The first time this issue happened I was controlling Roon with the IPAD and it was on the queue screen. I touched the Roon App on the PC to enlarge the screen, and the problem occurred on the IPAD.

This time, 4th instance, I was controlling Roon with the IPAD and it was on the queue screen. I started Roon on the PC and the problem occurred on the IPAD.

The 3rd time this happened I was controlling Roon from the IPAD and it was on the queue screen. I beleive I was using the Roon search facitily on the PC just before I found the issue had occurred again on the IPAD.

I suspect it was a similar situation on the 2nd occurrence but can’t say for sure.

This does seems to be a pattern.

Roon is still up on the PC and IPAD if you think the logs will have any information.

Update: FYI. Last year, when I first started the trial for Roon, the core/server was running on my PC. I got the NUC8I7BEH, disconnected the Core on the PC and Connected to the NUC/ROCK. I used the PC as an Endpoint/controller after that but I did not make any changes to the Roon software that was originally installed on the PC. Nothing changed there except for Roon upgrades.

Edit: It does look normal, without deleting and reinstalling the app, if you select Menu/Overview first after the issue occurs. That makes Overview the first page again (no back button).

Another edit, new information. Selecting Menu/Overview following the “blank screen condition” is not the workaround I was hoping for. Overview is not fully functional in this instance. I ripped a new cd and waited for the Album to appear in the Recently Added display. It did not show up. The rip had completed successfully, the cd had been ejected from the drive, and the album did appear as the first entry in the View All display. This is the first time a new Add To Library or Rip has not shown up in Recently Added display.

I deleted Roon Remote from the IPAD and reinstalled.

Also found another reference to a similar situation on another topic. Apparently others have had the issue but not reported it.

See Kyle_Kerley post in Roon, could you please get the basic usability stuff out of the way whilst you blaze new trails

There were followups to his post there including mine.

Hi @Mike_LC,

Thanks for the detailed explanation, I have added this to your case notes, as well as the iPad diagnostics.

Looking over some older threads, I am seeing a few reports of similar behavior, so I will gather these reports into an investigation ticket.

If there is any further info needed, I will be sure to let you know but for now I think we have enough to open the investigation ticket.

Thanks again for the report!

This blank screen issue on the IPAD occurred again between 4 and 4:45 PM on Monday 3/16/2020.

I had been careful not to leave the queue screen up and have not had the issue in almost 2 months.

I queued up another album, checked the queue and left the the queue screen up. Brought up the zone and zone grouping screen to add my PC to the group. Left the room with the queued screen and zone screen up. When I came back the zone screen was still up but the queued screen was blank.

Selected Menu then Overview for now but I know I will need to delete and reinstall the remote app on the IPAD to return to normal operations.

Hi @Mike_LC,

Thanks for the additional report. The investigation ticket is still with QA at this time, but if we need any further information to troubleshoot this when it reaches the review queue, I’ll be sure to let you know, thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.