iPhone and iPad no Longer Connect to Roon

My Apple devices (phone, iPad) no longer will connect to Roon – My Windows desktop does as does my Windows laptop (wired and wireless respectively). Roon runs on a NAS. This all worked just fine, no changes on my side, as of a few days ago it just stopped. On the phone I get a choose your core message and it just keeps looking for libraries, even when I give it the IP address. My phone has no problem accessing other applications on the NAS. This makes Roon unusable – no control?!

Hi @c2c2c2 ---- Thank you for the report and my apologies for the troubles here. Can you verify for me if this seems to be the same issue you have been experiencing with your Apple devices?

-Eric

No, this is not the same issue. The issue you cite is repeated disconnects/reconnects. In my case, I can not connect at all to the Roon Core from an i-device. I can however connect from my windows laptop.

1 Like

Hi @c2c2c2 ----- Thank you for the follow up and verifying that information for me. Both are appreciated! To help me better evaluate this issue you are experiencing may I kindly ask you for the following information:

1. An expanded description of your current setup as here. The more detail you can provide, the better.

2. Please provide the details of your network configuration/topology, as well as provide some insight into any networking hardware you may be implementing in your setup. I want to get an idea of how your devices communicate and what tools you are using to make those communications possible.

-Eric

Eric,

Roon version is the latest release, 64-bit with the core running on a Synology DS3615XS+ NAS w/16GB.

The NAS is running the latest release of Synology’s O/S, DSM.

Music files are stored on the NAS and the collection is approximately 6000 albums in size – all FLAC @44/16 or higher.

Access to the Roon core on the NAS works fine when using a Windows 10 PC connecting over WiFi, but none of the Apple iDevices will connect (phone/iPad). Please note that they DID connect and all this worked just fine until is mysteriously stopped a few days prior to my initial post. No recent changes to the environment have been made. Wireless router is a Netgear X8 model R8500 running the current firmware. As another data point, the iDevices connect just fine to the NAS for other applications – so basic connectivity to the NAS seems to be in place and without problems.

Hi @c2c2c2 ---- Thanks for the information! Out of curiosity, what type of modem are you using? I have seen issue occur when there is a modem/router + router in the same line of communication with devices.

-Eric

Modem? I have a separate Motorola Cable modem which is not part of the Router. If I unplug it, there is no improvement in the symptoms. The model of my WiFi router is shown above. Also, as the modem hasn’t changed for a couple of years and this worked a month ago, I would doubt it was the cause.

Hi @c2c2c2 ---- Thank you for confirming that for me. As you can see in the provided link we have had instances were a user has had a modem that they were not aware also doubled as a router which ends up conflicting with the “main” router in their setup (assigning different IP addresses to various devices).

Moving forward, have you tried reinstalling the Roon remote application on these devices since you’ve noticed this issue?

Lastly, I would like to try and grab some logs from these devices but that would require them being able to access your Roon core. I have left a note with one of my developers to see if there are any others ways to obtain this information other than using a support ID.

-Eric

Eric,

I have an update. When I got home last night, I tried again and my iPhone connected to the Roon Core (nothing had changed), my iPads are still not connecting to Roon however. I will try the app re-install on them over the weekend. I know this sounds like a typical “user error,” kind of report. As a technical person myself, I encounter this frequently. I would like to think that before contacting you I have eliminated the obvious (basic networking issues, etc) and thus am reporting a bona fide issue with Roon’s performance. Anyway, I will write again when I have an update.

Thank you.

1 Like

Hi @c2c2c2 ----- Thank you for sharing your most recent observation with me, the follow up is appreciated. I will be on the look at for your update :sunglasses: :microscope:

-Eric

Eric,

I have some additional information which may help in understanding this problem. First, to confirm my testing environment. I have 4 apple devices – all running the same and latest IOS version. One iPhone, and three iPads of mini, Air, and Pro varieties. Roon core is running on a top-of-the-line Synology NAS.

The problem is that any one of these Apple devices will enter a state where it cannot connect to Roon. This state may last for hours or longer. While unable to connect, the device can get to the Internet, the NAS, and perform all other functions as normal. Then, for no apparent reason, it will be able to connect again. This is very inconvenient when it happens and if you had fewer devices than I do it may well be a non-starter for Roon. I am including an image of the Roon log as presented through the control panel app., while I am not sure this is relevant information, it doesn’t seem normal. Please let me know what you find.

Thanks.

Hi @c2c2c2 ----- Thank you for the follow up and the feedback. I just want to verify if these logs were grabbed after you had re-installed the remote application on the mentioned devices from above? Furthermore, has your iPhone been stable since we last spoke? I Appreciate the clarification.

-Eric

Yes, the logs were after the re-install.

My iPhone itself has been stable, the Roon application however does fail to connect.

• C

When devices have access to the Internet and can be pinged on the same network but aren’t being detected by Roon, then one place to look is at possible UDP and multicast blocks or bottlenecks. Roon uses both UDP and multicast and anything that blocks or interferes with those protocols can cause problems.

1 Like

Thank you. I can confirm that there are no bottlenecks or blocking for UDP or Multicast.

1 Like

Hi @c2c2c2 ----- Thank you for the follow up and verifying that information for me.

In the interest in trying to isolate what may be causing you to experience this behavior with your Apple devices, can you confirm if you have tried letting your Windows desktop act as your Roon core as a test?

If you have not, may I kindly ask you to please try and let me know if there is a change in behavior while trying to connect from your iPads and iPhone.

-Eric

Eric,

I will run this test after the New Year. Tied up with holiday travel etc. Please consider this issue dormant until I get back to you with the results of the above test. Thank you.

1 Like

Hi @c2c2c2 ---- Thank you for the follow up! Sounds good to me :sunglasses: I will be on the look out for your feedback. A happy and healthy New Year to you and your loved ones!

-Eric