iPhone remote causes problems with laptops/audio

I have Roon Server (no GUI) installed on a Mac Mini [running OS 10.12.6] and control it from various laptops and an iPhone [running iOS 12.1] (audio comes out of a HRT Music Streamer II and goes directly to a power amp). If I just use the laptops to control Roon Server, everything works great. Likewise, if I just use the iPhone everything works well. However, oftentimes if I control the server with the iPhone then when I go back to the laptop, no audio plays out the Mac Mini (audio still plays fine locally on the laptop). The play icon appears as if it’s playing, the small volume bar animation next to the track displays, but the track counter stays at 0:00 and no audio comes out. The only solution is to quit and restart Roon Server. This ONLY happens if I use the iPhone and then go back to the laptop. Any ideas on why this is? Thanks.

Hello @DeathRobot,

Can you please provide more information as to what laptops you are using to control the Mac Mini? Is Roon added as an exception to both the RoonServer and the Roon Remote’s Firewall? You can use this guide to check. Do you by any chance have “Private Zone” enabled in Roon Settings -> Audio -> Cogwheel Icon next to HRT Zone?

Thanks,
Noris

Hi Noris. The main laptop is a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014). On the Mac Mini where the server resides, under the firewall settings I have the following set to allow incoming connections:
RAAT Server
Roon
RoonAppliance

On the laptop, under the firewall settings I have the following set to allow incoming connections:
RAAT Server
Roon

The other laptops are seldom used.

Michael