Iphone remote looses control after a few tracks

Windows 2012 R2 with the latest Roon updates. 1ft Sata connection to local SSD music storage.

Xfinity modem with 6ft Ethernet cable connected to D-link dir-825. The D-link wireless router is connected with a 40ft Ethernet cable to Netgear GS105 switch. 3ft Ethernet cables connecting directly to core PC from GS105 and a 3ft Ethernet cable from GS105 to SOTM sms-200 endpoint.

SOTM sms-200 connects USB out to Empirical Audio off ramp 5 to an MBL 1611 F DAC.

I can use and playback everything as normal without any issues for 2 to 8 tracks. Then the remote stops responding. It happens when I try to play next track. It will skip several tracks and freezes. Orange text pops up says to many failures. Same result using iPhone XR or IPhone 6+. I reboot the core PC and all works good again for many tracks then it crashes! This crash happens with loacal stored music or with Tidal.

This issue seems to have started around the time I updated to Roon version 1.6

Mi @Mark_Soule,

Thanks for contacting us regarding this issue. Can you please let me know if the behavior is the same if you try to output to the “System Output” zone on your Core while this issue is occurring?

You mention that:

Can you specify how long a reboot allows the app to work for and what exactly you mean by “it crashes”? Does the same behavior occur with no response from the Roon app or does the app itself close on your Core?

I would like to enable diagnostics mode for your account to see if there are any errors being presented in Roon, but before I enable this feature, can I please ask you to note the exact local time in your country (e.g. 11:55AM) that this behavior occurs next time and let me know this info?

Thanks,
Noris

When I say crashes I mean the remote play and track buttons do not respond! I can move around the library and Tidal. Try to hit the play button and nothing happens. I then can reboot the core PC and after 2 to 3 minutes when everything syncs back up, all works fine again. I can hit next track and it will play just fine. I can usually go to next track 5 times and everything works fine. I then hit next track maybe the sixth time, then I get no response from the play or next track button. It seems to only happen when I hit the next track button. I can see the tracks skip over the next track and sometimes several tracks. Orange text says something like failed to load!

Hi @Mark_Soule,

Thanks for clarifying that. Can you please reproduce the issue and note the exact local time as I mentioned earlier?

Also, after reproducing and noting the exact local time I am curious to know if the same behavior occurs when you have “System Output” selected as the zone as to seperate if this issue occurs just with the SMS zone or across all zones. If the same issue occurs with System Output, please note the exact local time for this as well.

Thanks,
Noris

I am not at home now so I will need to get get back to you on the rest of the information!

Is the version 1.6 taking up more headroom?

Switched zones with same issue occurring at 3:35 pm Pacific time US today Wednesday, March 27

4:14 pm today the issue occurred on main system again. Reboot and back to normal now at 4:22pm

Hi @Mark_Soule,

Thanks for providing those timestamps. Now that I have this information available, I have gone ahead and enabled diagnostics mode for your account and what this action will do is next time your Core & iPhone are active, a set of logs will automatically be generated and uploaded to our servers for analysis.

I kindly ask you to open Roon on both your Core and iPhone you used for testing the above when you next have a chance so that these reports can reach our diagnostics server. Please let me know once you have done so here and I can confirm that the diagnostics package arrived successfully.

Thanks,
Noris

Ok it is 3:30 on Thursday and my iPhone and core PC are on! Please let me know what you find out.

Hi @Mark_Soule,

I can confirm that the reports have reached our servers. I will reach out to you again once analysis of the logs has been completed, I appreciate your patience while QA takes a look.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi @Mark_Soule,

I just got the diagnostic analysis back from QA. There are a few next steps and one clarification question:

• You mention that you have a Windows 2012 R2 with the latest Roon updates but the diagnostics show that you have a Windows 8.1 Operating System. Just to make sure that we have the right diagnostics package here, can you confirm that it is indeed Windows 8.1 and not 2012 R2?

• It looks like your Core or Roon Remote might be running out of available space on the drive. Can you please check this info and let me know how much free space you have on both Core + Remote?

• If there is enough space on both Core + Remote, have you by any chance changed the permissions for Roon? We are seeing a IO error: WinMmapFile.Append::UnmapCurrentRegion or MapNewRegion: : Access is denied. in the diagnostics, and this can either be caused by a shortage of space or a permissions change so I just want to verify this aspect.

Thanks,
Noris

I have not ever owned any Windows 8. I am absolutely running 2012 R2! The OS is on a flash drive running Audiophile Optimizer. Music stored on separate Sata connected SSD. I recently paid for the Roon lifetime subscription. This also coincides with when the issues started. I have made no changes to the core PC in more than a year. The only two things that have changed:

1. Lifetime subscription
  2. Roon version update

I believe if we rolled back to the previous version it would work fine again.

The PC core is a pain to work on because of Audiophile Optimizer. I have to undo AO just to see Windows again.

Hello @Mark_Soule,

Can you please private message me the email address associated with your Roon account? Perhaps we have the incorrect one associated with you here? I am seeing Windows 8.1 show up in the diagnostics:

RoonServer: AUDIOPC52

As for rolling back, that is unfortunately not supported. Have you had a chance to take a look to make sure there is enough free space and that the permissions of that drive are correct?

Thanks,
Noris

Audiopc52 is correct! Not sure how I ended up with Windows 8.1. Would having to little of Ram cause the issues I am having? How much more space does version 1.6 use over 1.5?

Hello @Mark_Soule,

I don’t think it’s the RAM that is causing this issue. You mentioned that you are running Audiophile Optimizer off of a flash drive and I think this might be part of the issue here if the flash drive is running out of space.

Can you please try running a standard setup without having the operating system boot off a flash drive and let me know if the same issue occurs?

Thanks,
Noris

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.