Is an M.2 drive necessary for a Rock Server?

A salesman convinced me to buy a 2.5 inch SSD drive for the hard drive slot in the NUC7i5BNH rather than an M.2 drive, because it cost about half as much as an M.2 SSD drive. I set up the Rock Server and it seems to be working, but I have lingering doubts about my decision. Should I get an M.2 drive? Would that improve performance?

No if you buy a SATA M.2. If you go NVMe you will get a theoretical improvement but I am not convinced that translates into a meaningful change to your experience.

1 Like

One reason for using an M.2 drive in an NUC for the ROCK operating system is so that you can then use the internal 2.5 inch drive bay for an HDD to hold your music library. You can’t use the drive running ROCK to store music on it.

1 Like

Thanks for the information. Since I already am and plan on continuing storing the music on a NAS, I guess going with the cheaper option of a 2.5" SSD drive was better. And it is working good. Sounds like it is not worth switching to an NVMe drive either.

(Got a 120GB Samsong Pro SSD drive for $24.99, the NUK l7i5BHN for $299 and 8GB DDR4 Crucial 2400 SODIM for $79.99. Total out the door was $320 at Microcenter.)

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.