Is anyone else suddenly experiencing dropouts and halts

So I already have my own modem (Cm600), and I’m running into my Unifi USG (getting a UDM pro soon). How do I set a static IP? If I try to keep my existing IP by fixing it in the modem, does that work? What do I need to do?

Thanks for any advice @Fernando_Pereira @Christian_Schock

At this location, I have an Ubiquiti EdgeRouter that gives easy Web access to DHCP leases, dynamic and static. At my other location I have an UDM connected to a local fiber network provider. One complaint about the UniFi software is that it did offer convenient access to DHCP. So far I’ve not had any issues with its dynamic leases, even though my Roon network there depends on WiFi, unlike here. But I just did a Web search and found a help page on how to set static IPs on USG/UDM: https://help.ui.com/hc/en-us/articles/360023759313-UniFi-UDM-USG-Assigning-a-Fixed-IP-to-a-Client-using-DHCP

Wait sorry, I’m getting confused.

@Robem are you suggesting that I have a fixed IP address for my ROCK on the 192.168.xx.xx range (I already do and have since I built it, as I do for all server like things on my network that I might ever want to reach via typed in IP address), or are you suggesting that I should get a fixed IP address from xfinity/Comcast (which I don’t think is possible unless I get business service, which is quite expensive and I don’t want, especially not to make a single application work, even if it’s an application I like a great deal). Thanks!

I’m sure he means from your own router, you absolutely don’t want your core outside the NAT & firewall provided by your router. If you have set a fixed 192.186.xx.yy IP for your ROCK on your router, that’s it.

My isp gives me a fixed IP address but I also use internally reserved DHCP addresses for all my fixed machines like servers nas etc about the only things that change are phones and tablets. Even my laptop gets a fixed IP address in the house.

I shouldn’t make any difference what dns settings you your isp gives if you want to set your roon core to a fixed or assigned address you can specify a specific DNS server too, but remember to include a local router one too. You can add more than one dns entry, even 3 is possible on rock/nucleus.

@Johnny_Ooooops yes, I was suggesting that you ensure to use a static private IP address. 192.168.x.x would be one of those ranges.

@wizardofoz reserved IP addresses were the source of my pain with Ubuntu as the core still made DHCP requests to the router on a regular basis. Once I stopped using a reserved address and went fully static (no DHCP polling at all) the server stabilized. I was experiencing crashes of the Roon processes which were detailed in the logs as having memory segment errors along with a restart of NetworkManager.

I did say I used Fixed for all my servers and machines, some people have reservations about doing this and if you mess it up can render the machine inaccessible without a screen and keyboard.

Networking is not a thing all users will be familiar with and messing with router settings to get excluded address space for static addresses is also not the normal thing for users to go messing with. If you have the expertise to do so good for you.

Most users are probably not rolling with a Linux core either :wink:

Actually you said that you used “reserved DHCP addresses for all my fixed machines”. In my experience this can cause issues with Linux based machines that run NetworkManager to render the IP address. As ROCK is also an implementation of Linux then there is a possibility that it is also impacted with the memory segment faults that is causing issues on Ubuntu. There are lots of posts on this forum recently reporting similar symptoms of disconnects with Linux based platforms. Simply changing to a static address rather than using DHCP or DHCP reserved addresses is a quick and easy way to rule this out as a potential root cause.

I was having the same symptoms with my NUC / Roon install… I’m running the Roon binary install on Ubuntu… I ended up rebooting all network appliances except my switch… And no luck. Then I rebooted my switch and it started to well again. Strange that it was a layer 2 issue… But it was…

to both Robem and Johnny:

1. There is some confusion here. Most ISPs charge for having an static EXENAL address. But you can assign your computer/Roon server a static IP address within your home router’s range. In ROCK its int he web GUI. For your mac, for example, its in the network control panel. Xfinity has nothing to do with it

2. To Robem. I cannot see how having DHCP vs static would have the slightest impact. A DHCP lease is typically days to weeks and while assigned works no differently for routing than a static one. So basically disagree.

To all - I have mostly isolated my issue and it has to do with grouped zones as I speculated above. I cannot say if its network congestionl processor congestion or flaky endpoints - but with the gorupign gone its pretty much a non issue now. This is not a totally good answer, but eliminates many paths of investigation. I did get a significant change when i restarted the server several times in a contorlled manner, rather than letting mother natures power outages crash it with no journaling.

G

Hmm. Got to admit that I don’t think I have much (if ever) included rebooting my switch in my “network got glitchy, reboot it before I contact support” playbook. Assume you are running managed switches - do you mind if I ask what flavor/brand of network gear you are running? I’m going to try this too. What with Zoom classes, work, music, etc - I’ve found that I have to stay up late to do a modem/router/AP reboot cycle; but now at least I’ll give it a shot to include switches in the reboot cycle too. Thanks for suggestion.

Just a question for all here… Typically I assign fixed IPs within my Unifi controller, vs. assigning one within the device / telling it not to bother with DHCP. I have done that historically because it means I don’t have to worry as much about IP conflicts / documenting which device has what IP address. But now I’m thinking that that means that my ROCK (or other server) is still using DHCP, it’s just that it always gets the same address. Not sure that actually reduces the number of DHCP pings, which sounds like it’s the goal. However, if there are long leases, not sure why there would be frequent DHCP pings.

Are you saying that I should assign the address within the ROCK GUI, and that if I assign a fixed address at the Unifi controller level I’m not actually getting the benefit you’re describing?

Thanks

The worse thing you can do, unless you also set that address as reserved in your router or exclude that address from DHCP in your router.

Really, make it easy on yourself and jusr reserve the address in your router software. In spite of what sticklers might want, I’ve done that for years without any problems.

Ok, I apologize that I took us off topic, especially to the OP; consider my sub-topic resolved; I am using reserved IP addresses for my ROCK within my DHCP controller as suggested.

However, I too continue to suffer from track pause/skip, both on Tidal and on internal FLACs from NAS. Am going to copy my music library to a USB drive and connect it directly to the ROCK and see if that resolves things. Headed back to my own thread, with thanks.

@Johnny_Ooooops - your setup, using reserved IP addresses in your router continues to utilize the DHCP protocol. With some flavors of Linux we have seen that there is a conflict with the NetworkManager service and Roon which causes process crashes when DHCP4 polling occurs. It is really simple to enter that same reserved IP address as a static address in the Rock GUI and see if that resolves your stability issues.

@Just_Me the NetworkManager still performs DHCP4 polling when using a reserved IP address. Please see this thread for detailed troubleshooting.

1 Like

Are you referring to me as a stickler? Personal attacks are not needed and offer no value to this thread at all. Are you running Roon Server on a Linux platform? Can you offer first hand experience with this issue? Or is this an excuse to increase your post count? I think the following quote from the post I linked above infers that you are running Windows on your core because you had nothing but trouble with RoonServer.

“Don’t know if all the problems in this thread are occurring to folks who are running RoonServer, but I had nothing but trouble with RoonServer.“

NetworkManager is a buggy disaster, there are extensive complaints about it on forums, especially with Ubuntu 20.04.1. I’ve disabled it, doesn’t serve any useful purpose on a small dedicated server with a fixed set of active network interfaces.

Easy, big fella. Using the description of ‘stickler’ hardly qualifies as an ad hominem attack.

Not talking about you any more than anyone else. Other people, in the past, have counseled using static addresses on devices and excluding them from DHCP rather than reserving an address in the router software, and for most people in a home environment, that is unnecessary.

What was that about “personal attacks”? If you look at my profile you’ll see that I don’t need to increase my post count by one or one thousand.

The word you want is ‘implies’.