Is Auralic's Roon implementation sub-optimal?

Really?

I cannot say I picked this up anywhere, rather a comment that asset or minim should sound as good as Lightning.

Perhaps I missed something.

.sjb

There has been some posts from Auralic on their forum suggesting this, yes.
Now, when i try and find a few heres a couple of examples:

And perhaps this:

Atb /Mike

Cheers Mike, I was aware of Xuanqian’s preference for NAS over internal and USB bus but I still think I’m correct that the position about Lightening vs Minim etc. is Minim should sound no worse or as good.

Still I suppose if one uses the UPnP on the NAS and this is wireless to the Auralic Aries then there will be a little less work done in the Aries, which could give a sonic benefit. I’d like to think the Aries has been engineered well enough that this wouldn’t be an issue.

.sjb

Agree! I don’t hear any noticeable difference when playing from Lightning DS in my Mini vs from Minim on my NAS. It’s just that Lightning gives better browsing options. That said, i dont run any Lightning Server on my Aries G1 which is my main transport.

1 Like

Darko said the sound is better because the internal lightning DS app uses the built in 4gb cache while the Roon stream doesn’t this available cache. He noted this while talking about ripping cds to the G2 line. Question I have is does the Aries G2 I have use the cache when streaming direct from Qobuz over Roon as can’t be bothered to start ripping cds

No, you’re still using RAAT to transfer the music information to your endpoint (the Aries).
However, if you use Lightning DS, and select the same track/album from Qobuz there, it will be played back from memory cache in the Aries.

However, Roon caches the currently playing track in it’s Core, but then the data is modelled into a RAAT streaming protocol for stbale transfer to your endpoint(s).
The RAAT protocol does have cache/buffering but it’s more like a few seconds rather than the whole current track. Then again, there are always those who prefer NOT playing back from memory cache as well as those who like the results better when playing the stream, as a stream.

1 Like

Hi all
Very interesting topic!
I am planning to become an auralic user and join the club :+1:
Apart from SQ differences between RAAT and UPnP, may I ask how stable, robust and fast is auralic roon ready system? Have you experience any bug or any strange behavior? Is it rock solid?
I am about to pull the trigger on a vega g2 or g2.1, your feedback would be very appreciated :pray:
Thanks very much

Well I’m back using Roon with my Aries now, Roon just offers so much more.

I have no stability or speed issues, like most Roon Ready products, they just work.

.sjb

2 Likes

Thanks
Is auralic vega g2.1 roon ready? It is not present on the official partner list. Of course vega g2 is and present in the list but not g2.1.

It’s inconceivable it won’t be, might be worth checking on the Auralic forum.

.sjb

I have the Vega G2. I suspect the G2.1 looks to Roon like it is still the G2. The changes for 2.1 are largely case/mechanical/etc, and not with the streaming module.

1 Like

Thanks for your answer, it would be nice to have someone from roon team to confirm? @danny?

Hi @Judelow.

Yes, we can confirm that the 2.1 equipment is certified as Roon Ready. As @cwichura said, the differences are all in things like improved shielding/case rf design/etc, so the certification on them is a formality.

We will follow up with the team at Auralic to get the 2.1 equipment appearing on its own so there is no more confusion, thanks for checking in.

1 Like

Thanks very much! :+1:

I am using a Auralic Vega G1 with fantastic results over a cat5 cable coming out of my router. Roon is on my PC which is connected to the Router via a Cat5 cable. Roon to my ears sounded better than the Lightening app. Although I used the lightening app well before the DAC had fully broken in and therefore I have been meaning to give it a try again, but so was ROON being used before the DAC was fully broken. With that said Roon still sounded better to my ears. I have found NO bugs and I have been using ROON with the Auralic Vega G1 for over a year.

Thanks for your feedback.
I am in a trial with Vega g2.1. It sounds fantastic.
I personally cannot make a difference between roon and lightning ds in term of SQ. Lightning ds may be couples of msec faster, more reactive. Appart from that, I am happy to use Roon Dsp feature for room correction. So Roon is better to my usage.