Is consistent ROON via WiFi possible?

In all honesty - if you can do it, cable everything.

Almost everything in our place is cabled/fibre. 2 enterprise switches, a PC and a Synology Rackstation on 10G and 20G fibre backbone. Almost every other device is hard-wired on Cat 6. We have 3 Ubiquiti Unifi AC-Pro access points dotted around the house and the office which gives us rock solid WiFi. Still wouldn’t connect Roon to it.

Have a couple of Sonos devices on wireless and they’re a pain. Won’t stream certain radio stations, even though the other wired Sonos devices work perfectly.

Fine for phones, tablets etc. but for serious stuff, I give WiFi a wide berth. Just my £0.02…

EDIT: You’ll also never make full use of 10Gbit internet over WiFi.

My eero system worked great from Nov to March. Now my life is losing the core, losing endpoints, disappearing audio devices. All in the last 2-3 weeks.

I’m just using some cheap WIFI to ethernet bridges with a couple of RPI4 running Ropiee, about 30’ through walls and ceilings from the wap to either of these endpoints. Has worked very reliably for over a year now. I am using a TP-Link 750 for one and a 15 year old Linksys for the other.

I don’t know where you are, but I’ve measured neighbor WiFi that is way more powerful than it should be by the official limits. I don’t know if these are hacked WiFi APs, or just vendors that make their gear appear good by overwhelming the neighborhood and the FCC can go pound sand. Sometimes I wonder if those neighbors really need their microwaves or they could just use their WiFi APs…

Have you tried running any scans of the WiFi environment? There are loads of free apps you can download for use on a tablet/smartphone. Maybe an overlapping transmission from a neighbour’s set up? You’ll be able to see from a scan and maybe change your WiFi channels to less congested frequencies.

You don’t know my neighbors in the city :space_invader: all your channels are belong to us.

In general home WiFi is on a wrong track. Rather than a single device trying to cover like two or three floors, having several lower powered and meshed devices should be more desirable. Less interference with neighbors. At least in city limits.

1 Like

Thanks for all the replies!

Lots to digest.

Ill check out the lay of the land next time I visit the new place to see where and how exactly I can place wires and boxes etc.

Not just in Germany - they’re available in other markets too. Good products.

Sorry to thread hijack, but I was just about to ask the same question!

I’ve always hard-wired in the past and would always do so if possible, but we’re just about to move into a London rental where I doubt the landlord will allow that type of modification, so having to face the prospect of wifi-ing Roon.

Going to check out those eero and Deco devices, which sound promising.

@jhwalker and @Adam_Goodfellow, which wireless devices are you using successfully?

@ipeverywhere, which wireless aps with antennae would you recommend, please?

These days? I would say none on the basis that I have to reboot the damn thing every week :slight_smile:

I have a netgear R8000P - it used to be very good, but like I said - firmware updates over time have made it less reliable - I think it was when they linked up with disney circle screen time protection that it all went to hell. I have not replaced it however because of its ethernet teaming support - something useful to me, but i doubt most people would have need of that and was indeed one of the main factors in purchasing it years ago.

1 Like

Until recently, I just had a single Apple WiFi base station (which mostly worked fine across our two story, 1,100-sf townhome), but I converted to a Netgear Orbi mesh system about a year ago when I started spending more time upstairs in my home office and wanted a bit more bandwidth up there. Now have rock-solid coverage in every corner :wink: (base station + 2 satellites).

1 Like

Any recommendations please? ios/android.

I like the Ubiquity gear but but there is no one system for all environments (or one UBNT bit of kit that is best for all). And, you have to monitor / tune on a regular basis. For example, I noticed recently one of the channels one of my APs was using is getting crowded. Not sure why my neighbors have decided to step on my channel but now I’ve got to go identify a place to move my AP to. Wireless isn’t “easy” unlike wires which are pretty bulletproof once the cable works (and you leave the network simple).

1 Like

I use WiFi Analyser by farproc for Android. Works really well. You may have to tweak a couple of device settings to get it to work smoothly, details in the reviews. Android can make life difficult for this type of App these days…

1 Like

I use Eero, too. My Rock is in the house, connected by cable to Eero #1 and my listening room is in the garden, about seventy feet from an intermediate Eero (#2), with Eero #3 in my listening room. I use a Pi as my wireless endpoint, connected via optical to my DAC. Everything is absolutely solid up to 24/192, both from my library and Qobuz.

I was hesitant about a Mesh system but I couldn’t be happier. I have simple needs (music and video streaming) and Eero just works. I’m sure that others do, too - I’m not shilling for Amazon.

1 Like

ALL of my Roon ‘kit’ is hard-wired, and I ZERO problems with running Roon, and it’s endpoints.

Speaks volumes IMO.

2 Likes

I am 300% in favour to use hard-wired ethernet as much as possible. It is absolutely the best way to go.

As I had a lot of troubles to get decent wifi in my living room, and I wanted to have a wireless backup for my lan connection at the attic, I have installed an ASUS ZenWiFi AX (XT8) mesh network with 3 nodes in total.
My ISP internet subscription offers 100Mbps downloads.
Both wired and wireless I get the same 93,1 Mbps speedtest result, everywhere in the house.
Not really cheap, but extremely pleased with the results.

Dirk

2 Likes

I have had zero issues before or after Roon 1.8. My network setup is rock solid though:

2 Likes

In my case, the awesome Orbi mesh network works perfectly well - with its dedicated backhaul, wireless (with endpoints/core connected via Ethernet to the satellites) and wired have the same performance - no hiccups whatsoever.

3 Likes