Is Roon ARC a game changer?

I don’t see why I would, but I have no idea so maybe. I mean, I want to do something very basic that happens a trillion times every day: I want a phone to connect to a server somewhere on the internet. Surely this must work with CGNAT.

I have today been able to confirm that I can reach the IP and port of my core from anywhere, including when I install ARC on the phone of a colleague, which uses 5G from Deutsche Telekom. The only network it does not work from is VF’s LTE/5G.

1 Like

I think VF Germany is a CGNAT. However, have you changed you default DNS to say 1.1.1.1/1.0.0.1 or 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4

I’ve done a fair bit of reading on a lot of issues being experienced.

Can you set up a VPN

Thanks. I am trying to understand how DNS affects the IP networking?

I could set up a VPN but I am paying VF for a working internet and have just switched to a more expensive business cable account with the promise of a static public IPv4 address for running a server. I expect them to make it work.

It was suggested on another forum ref VF Germany and it being CGNAT and content filtering could be an issue.

Most probable cause is CGNAT.

Can you try another network? Ah you have, Deutsche Telekom and it worked. That’s your solution I’m afraid or a VPN

What make is your router at home?

There is no content to even filter, it fails to connect to the port in the first place. I believe all the CGNAT issue were about inability of having a proper IPv4 address that can be port forwarded. This is not my issue, but I had what I believe is a similar one, DS Lite. That’s why I switched to VF Business because they promise a proper fixed public IPv4 address. I pay VF for it. And it does work from every network I tried (foreign LANs at the workplace and a coffee bar, the Telekom 5G network). The only network it does not work from is VF’s 5G.

Maybe there is some CGNAT issue at the backend at VF that I don’t understand, but then there shouldn’t be.

Telekom is not, unfortunately, a good solution because using VF Cable at home and Telekom Mobile is much more expensive because you lose the bundle deal on either side. To get a Telekom bundle I would have to use their DSL, which is slow compared to VF Cable and comes with some installation issues at home (the cable port is conveniently located, DSL not so much). And I still expect VF to provide working internet, I’ll report how it goes.

Not a game changer, but a nice bonus for me. Ive already broken even on my Roon lifetime subscription, so Roon ARC’s capability to download local music for offline listening is a bonus. Saved me from dropping $120 on a Plex lifetime membership.

Hi Lewis, many thanks for your offer of help - I’d love to get ARC working.

Firstly, I have updated all the software to the latest versions and Roon itself works perfectly.
I am running Roon Server (also tried standard Roon app) on a headless Mac Mini running MacOS 11.6 Big Sur. 500GB SSD and 16GB RAM
This is connected directly via ethernet to a Huawei HG659b modem which was supplied by my ISP - Spark (I’m in New Zealand)
My endpoint is a Linn Majik DS streamer connected via ethernet and this then goes to my amp.

This is the error I get in the Roon desktop apps ARC section:
{
“connectivity”: {“status”:“NetworkTimeout”,“status_code”:998,“error”:“”},
“external_ip”: {“actual_external_ip”:“222.155.59.46”,“router_external_ip”:null},
“natpmp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”},
“upnp_autoconfig”: {“server_ip”:“192.168.1.254”,“found_upnp”:true,“error”:“Did not find UPnP service with WANIPConnection on network”}
}

The modem / router is definetly UPnP compatible and is set to ON.
I have configured a static IP address on the router. The router doesn’t have a section called “Port Forwarding” but does have something called “Port Mapping”. I’ve tried every combination of info on that screen but ARC just will not connect.

If there’s anything else I can try or any further information you need please let me know. And many thanks once again!

I’ve read Spark may have gone to CGNAT.

When you are up and in connection with the Internet and can browse the web go to

or any similar page which will show from which public IP address your request is coming. This address is always a public IP-address, nothing else works.

After that, login to your router and look at the status page. The router will report which WAN IP-address it has got from the ISP.

If it shows the same IP-address as whatsmyip everything should be ok.

If the router shows another WAN IP-address it’s NOT OK, the ISP is using CGNAT.

If you find the above to be true, are you able to look into a VPN? In my case, I use Ubiquitis UDR and use the built in function of WiFiMan to auto configure a VPN. It works.

You could ask your ISP for a public IP. Might cost more. See how you get on with the checks and post back.

And JRiver

Did you restart the router after setting UPnP on

Worth a try

Yes, I did indeed.

Hi Lewis, Thanks very much for your detailed reply. I tried whatsmyip and it showed my WAN IP address as 222.155.59.46. I then logged in to the router IP page and it confirmed exactly the same IP address.

I really don’t want to go down the VPN route just to get an app to work properly.

Many thanks once again.

Same IP. That’s good.

Have you got the option to set your ISP router to modem mode only and use a 3rd party router to try to see if this resolves the issue.

No, unfortunately I don’t have another router available. And to be honest, any app that possibly requires configuring your modem, VPNs, bridging, new hardware is way too much hassle for me. I certainly don’t mind tweaking and troubleshooting but enough is enough.

I really think ARC isn’t for me as I’d only use it when walking the dog or in the car and in both of those scenarios I would just listen to any of the dozens of albums I have downloaded from Qobuz on my iPhone or stream the album via 4G if I really wanted to listen to something different.

Many thanks for trying to help me out - I really appreciate your time.

2 Likes

No. Maybe if I didn’t have Qobuz and Apple Music subscriptions. I also have an LG V40 (relegated to DAP-duty now) w/ nearly my entire FLAC library on a microSD card, but even then, it’s VERY rare that I can be bothered to use my wired headphones.

I think it is. The ability to have my whole music library portable with good resolution is great. No more need for services other than qobuz and/or tidal. Car music is so much better. I love it.
David

2 Likes

Yes, there is. It’s called iTunes Match and it’s fully automatic.

I tried Apple Music - especially since I’ve been living in an Apple ecosystem for ages - but I did not like the experience.

Glad I discovered Roon :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Yes I agree, and I love my iPhone and iPad. ITunes just isn’t as slick and elegant as the rest of their offering.

ICloud for Windows is awful as well; in fact, it seems to get worse with every iteration. Microsoft OneDrive integrates surprisingly well with other systems and is now my default cloud app; Apple seem to have gone out of their way to be awkward.

I’ve still got minor concerns about ARC’s security implications, but usability wise I think it’s fantastic. Proper integration into Apple Car Play will be a great nice-to-have :grinning:

Is it really automatic? I have a hard disk with quite some TBs of hires, will Apple Music Match upload them?