Is Roon fun without your own music files?

I totally disagree. I have no music files of my own, just Tidal and Qobuz. Roon is a great way to listen to streaming music and read/learn about the artist, etc. It is also an excellent way to discover new artist or music you never would have otherwise. Finally, for some, it’s a way to send music from your computer to your sound system without purchasing an expensive streaming device. I find nothing frustrating about Roon.

2 Likes

I don’t understand your comments. Roon is no better with local albums than it is with Qobuz or Tidal albums. What can you do with local albums that you can’t do with Qobuz or Tidal albums?

My complaint about Roon is that it, in fact, is more feature rich when you have Qobuz or Tidal.

I use Qobuz to explore new music. But, when I find something new to me that I like, I usually search out the best mastering I can find and buy it…

Roon with a Qobuz subscription for me is a piece of heaven. Simple effective trouble free interface and hi resolution music with latest releases and deep (enough for me) catalog, well my answer is yes.

3 Likes

I have years and years of content in iTunes and also subscribe to Apple Music. But I play almost exclusively Tidal through Roon and am loving it.

3 Likes

When I started with Roon, I had only my library. With all the links in the description of the Bands/Musicians I immediately started to use Tidal. Later I added Qobuz, but never got rid of Tidal. And for other reasons I use Apple Music too.

3 years ago I would have said, your library is important. Today I say, I don’t care about my own collection anymore. Having the whole world connected to my hifi is much better.

Yes, Roon IS fun without own music files.

4 Likes

I use Roon exclusively with streaming and it is a blast. Convenient, fun, amazing, and good times ahead for many years!

1 Like

So far, the only thing Roon does with my local files that it can’t do with streaming services is supply a rudimentary waveform. I think we are both the kind of music consumer that tries to find the best mastering of something, and a waveform is a helpful tool (but not a deciding factor, as our ears should make the final decision). It sure would be nice if this feature could be added to items you add to your library from a streaming service (like a buffering analysis feature). I am sure there are other features that are local file specific, but this is my favorite. :grinning:

1 Like

If you own your own vinyl or CD’s you can rip them to your own personal library. Until you have had a chance to really construct a set of your own desired content and length you will not know how great that is. I had my first online presence on The Source in 1985, and cried when it was consumed by the acquisition fever of the late 80’s when the internet first got rolling for consumers. The three things most vital to me online today are Music, Politics and social connections; yes Music is No. 1 by a long shot. After much research I bought a lifetime Roon server license and monthly Tidal subscription. I have not regretted it for a moment. There may be better ways to do it, I would not argue, or care. This will enhance your life tremendously especially in this time of worldwide pandemic and crisis. You need to be able to just relax into the music.

2 Likes