Is Roon Nucleus more reliable than Sonic Transporter?

If you had a problem with ST why spend more for another one. There are many core options out there.

1 Like

Agreed. Was just throwing out the options I know. I just want good quality and reliability.

For me it’s the Nucleus Plus
I know a week may not be the tell all but to date it’s beat out every other core (4) I’ve tried far and away. I’d be patient and wait until you can see your way. Use your pc as core as I did until I got it.
If it fails at anytime in the near future I’ll let you know. The Nucleus Plus will handle a growing library.

Again, going to support and allowing access to your Roon log is probably the way to solve the issue without investing in new hardware.

What we don’t need for either company is for this to become customer service tennis with the OP as the ball. SGC and Roon talk to each other using the back channels like responsible people. Don’t leave your customer high and dry.

I’ve posted in the support section and I’m waiting to hear back.

There is nothing to talk about amongst SGC and Roon… this is a support issue with SGC first and then Roon. @agillis has explained that the machine has no RAM issue, so this is on to our support team…

@Spence_Marquart

It’s funny, I sent an email to Small Green Computer asking almost the exact same question. I have an i5 ST for about the last three years or so. My collection isn’t quite as big as yours. I’m over 200K files but not as high as 300K. I’ve had occasional connectivity issues and I do find that the response time is slower than I’d ideally like it to to be but everything works pretty well. My network is reasonably solid as far as I can tell. I thought it might be time to upgrade so I asked their opinion on whether I should consider an i7 ST. He said no. He thought the i5 should be good enough for my library.

I have an ST i5 but my library is smaller - 6000+ albums and about 100,000 tracks. I have been experiencing connectivity issues but they seem to be related to Roon app. I have lots of connectivity issues when running the Roon app on my 4 year old iPad Air 2 but no connectivity issues when running the Roon app on my iPhone 8. But other then this, the i5 has been rock solid.

Stop Roon server first and restart ST.

Had the i5 for about a month. Nothing but issue after issue, returned it for refund went to the Nucleus Plus and have been totally trouble free since.

@agillis – What version is your libc? We had issues a while ago with bugs in an older glibc that were resolved in Roon OS 1.0.174 back in early 2019. @Robert_Zinn’s experience is not what I would expect from your hardware choices, so something must be funky with the software. We were plagued with similar connectivity issues back before build 174.

@danny I do appreciate you looking into this. I’ve had some connectivity issues with the ST. But nothing like I’ve had since the Roon update from last week. It seems to be disconnecting while analyzing files. I tried starting over by re-adding all my folders from my NAS and that made it much worse. I’m hoping I can restore from one of my backups once it’s stable. Good luck on any fixes. Thanks.

I had a sonicTransporter i5 for over a year and never had a problem with it. I have had a sonicTransporter i9 now for almost a year and it has been flawless as well.

1 Like

@danny we are using glibc 2.29.29. We have been using that one for quite a while with no known issues.