Is stereo or mono displayed on the screen?

I’ve already asked for this in feature requests; the info may be of use to you:

2 Likes

Roon identifies recordings by channel count, not by channel content. A single channel file is mono, a two channel file is stereo, etc. A CD rip always is two channel – regardless of content. For most practical purposes, the only mono recordings that Roon will identify as such are specifically created single channel MP3, FLAC, etc., such as podcasts.

AJ

2 Likes

Thanks for the link, that’s very helpful.

1 Like

Because it’s been five years since you requested this feature, I’m no too hopeful that it will ever come about.

Thanks for the link.

From that thread and what WiWavelength also confirms, perhaps the way forward is to specifically reword your Feature Request, so that Roon’s audio processing detects mono recordings by comparing the two channels and sets the channel metadata field?

Probably quite processer intensive (unless a simple algorithm already exists), so perhaps only available as an opt-in? And obviously only on local albums.

1 Like

Audio analysis probably will not work. Many two channel mono CD rips are not as mono as they seem. Especially if they were digitally transferred in the 1980s by playing back a mono tape via a stereo tape head. Additionally, ADC and mixing console channels may not be as identical as they should be. The only way to get definite two channel mono (i.e. dual mono) is via digital duplication of the single mono channel. And that definitely was not done on all mono CDs.

AJ

2 Likes

Thank you, very imformative.

It’s great there are so many knowledgable people on the forum.

1 Like

Sadly, this is the case for a number of my feature requests lol. Despite high numbers of other users requesting similar things.

1 Like

Where it says 44.1kHz 16bit, or whatever the format is, put an S for stereo, or M for mono just after that. Either 44.1kHz 16bit S, or 44.1kHz 16bit M. Sometimes the title indicates that, sometimes not, and a Tom of albums in the 60s were issued both ways. So, you are right, that would be a very useful feature.