Is the Nucleus a streamer?

Yes. I have my Nucleus connected to my Oppo 203 using HDMI.

Yes, use HDMI, not USB.

I don’t believe you can use the HDMI input on the Oppo to utilize the DAC on my Oppo 105. Just USB, CoAx and Optical?

If I were to do it all over again, I would connect Roon on NUC as the core directly to the my DAC in my system over USB, and stream music either located on a NAS elsewhere on the network, and/or from a streaming service. I would have taken the money I spent on a streamer, and spent it on a NUC instead.

I totally agree if Roon was my one stop streaming Avenue. When not in the Roon ecosystem how does one stream other music service providers from the Nuc?

I am fully committed to the Roon Ecosystem in this scenario. For my purposes this is fine, as I have not left that ecosystem since I entered it.

I do have some situations that I can see leaving the ecosystem and would need(want) directory browsing of my local library. I would solve this with a Raspberry PI/Allo Boss combination running Moode. (See thread on “Is my Grateful Dead tagging getting better”).

The fact is for all my listening once I inserted Roon into my system has been via Roon. It has the ability to provide me with a rich interface to my library and streaming services blurring both into a great user experience, and then gets right out of my way so I can enjoy the listening.

When I built the system, I would not have expected this, which is why I went the streamer route. It was only after having some mileage under the tires did I realize that my listening habits revolve exclusively around Roon. I also did not budget for Roon when I built my system, so I am running it on my Linux workstation. It runs well enough, but I would prefer to run it on a purpose built dedicated system.

I could have easily take the money I spent on my streamer (Node 2i), and spent it on the hardware for an i5 NUC. The dollars are almost identical. Simplified my system, and wound up at the same result. However this is a 20/20 hindsight issue, and I have no regrets, just earned wisdom.

1 Like

I have an Oppo 205 and use the internal dac with the HDMI Input and USB connections from the Nuc/Rock. I still have the 105 that was used primarily for CD’s, SACD’s and movies before upgrading to the 205.

The 105 manual does not explicitly state the HDMI INPUT will be processed by the Internal Dac, and I did not try it, but it seems like the 105 has to be doing the decoding if the audio is played through the OPPO analog (RCA) outputs. If the audio is only available from the HDMI Input when using the HDMI out from the player then it can’t. Wish I knew for sure, one way or the other, but I wasn’t streaming back then and didn’t try it before boxing up the 105 and putting it in the closet.

Thanks. This is what I found in the manual:

• The BDP-105 provides two HDMI input ports, located on the front panel and the back panel separately, both of which can accept up to 1080p high-definition video and digital audio. You can use the included HDMI cable to connect a source device such as a digital TV box, mobile phone or camcorder to the HDMI IN port(s). You can use the INPUT button on the OPPO remote to open the Input Source Menu, which allows you to select the corresponding HDMI IN port.
  • Keep in mind that the HDMI IN port on the front panel is MHL (Mobile High-definition Link) compatible, which means if it is connected to another MHL-enabled device (like a smartphone) through a MHL cable or adaptor (not included), then this port is not only capable of accepting high- resolution digital signals, but can also simultaneously charge the connected device.

NOTE
Both HDMI INPUT ports are HDMI v1.4 compatible and can accept up to 1080p high-definition video signal, however, due to internal bandwidth limits, the audio signal is up to 6ch/192kHz or 8ch/96kHz PCM, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS and AAC.

So I guess I’m stuck with using my SBT connected USB into my Oppo to utilize the DAC? And just have the Nucleus as a server?

I’m a bit confused as to why you have things hooked up this way. So perhaps a Q&A will help me to understand.

Are you using the Touch with EDO so that it outputs through USB?

If yes, then I understand why you are using the Oppo.

If no, then why not connect the Touch (either coax or optical) directly to the Marantz (which is how my Touch is connected to my Marantz, and yes I know that the Touch is then limited to 96kHz max, which is fine with me)

And finally do you have the Marantz set so the analog input from the Oppo is in direct mode, i.e. bypassing the analog to digital conversion and then digital back to analog conversion that the Marantz performs on all analog inputs, unless set to direct mode.

FYI the Marantz AVRs, especially the 7000 series, have very nice internal DACs and it’s worth trying the Touch directly into the Marantz in comparison to going through the Oppo. Just a thought.

Man, sometimes this stuff gets so damn complicated.

Yes using EDO.
I also have the SBT connected analog into the Marantz. I think the Oppo DAC sounds better.
Yea very confusing. Just trying to optimize the soon to be purchased Nucleus.

As I thought. I have an Oppo BDP-83 which is connected via HDMI to my Marantz SR6009 so I’m using the Marantz’s internal DAC and it sounds great with Dolby TruHD.

Another great feature on the Marantz AVRs is the headphone jack - a real headphone amp which sounds wonderful. Good for late night movie watching.

Thx. So how are you utilizing the Nucleus in that setting? Is it just connected to you router and seeing the Marantz as a endpoint?

I run Roon core on a Windows 10 computer and it works great but then the computer is an overbuilt beast so that really helps to keep the problems at bay.

The Marantz is indeed an endpoint, in fact it is multiple endpoints. First the Marantz itself has Airplay so it’s an Airplay endpoint, then I had the SB Touch connected to one of the digital inputs and I also have a Chromecast connected to one of the HDMI inputs. So through Roon there are three different ways to play music on the Marantz, with the Touch the only one able to play 96kHz files.

1 Like

Thanks. Thats a good set up if you’re not utilizing Nucleus.

I think for the time being, I’m going to set the Nucleus as a stand alone sever for Roon. Just connect it to my modem. Control it with the Roon remote. Leave the SBT connected the the Oppo that’s connect analog into my Marantz. Once I get comfortable with the Nucleus I might experiment by connecting to the Oppo to the Marantz. Lots(too many) choices. Sometimes I miss my Sherwood receiver and Cerwin Vega speakers set up I had as a kid. LOL.

I’m not exactly following you and not knowledgeable of the Oppo 105. I use Nucleus > HDMI > Oppo 203 and it works perfectly. Unfortunately, I don’t have an amp and speakers, so I go HDMI out to Bose thus bypass the Oppo DAC. However, I have RCA out from the Oppo to Sennheiser headphones to listen to 24/192 using the Oppo DAC. You should give it a try. Try Nucleus > HDMI > Oppo > RCA > Receiver.

Thanks. That set up bypasses the Oppo 105 DAC. I believe it’s a better DAC then in the Marantz? Also the Oppo 105 is not a Roon ready endpoint. That’s why I’m still using the Squeeze Box Touch.

On a side note , while have the core on my IMac . I was able, so stream using my Marantz using the USB/Net input on the receiver.

Jim, I think I’m going to try your suggestion first. Hopefully that will work and I can eliminate the SBT. My only concern is that I’ll need to hook the Nucleus into a power line adaptor. My SBT in connected to one and it working , so hopefully the nucleus will as well.

I guess plan B would be as as @Jazzfan_NJ suggested and connect the SBT into the Marantz and connect the Nucleus directly into the router.

What would it take to run ethernet to where your Oppo is? I was able to find someone who did it for $200. Best $200 I ever spent.