Is there a way to force Radio to play the highest resolution of a song?

I have hires, lossless and mp3 songs in my library. There is a lot of duplication. If I select a song and start radio, is there a way to force it to always play the highest resolution version of the song?

4 Likes

Hello @John_Powell1,

Thanks for your interest regarding this feature. There isn’t a way to do this right now but I have moved your post over to the feature requests area of our site.

Our product team and developers keep a close eye on this category, so it’s definitely the best place to propose a change like this and get feedback from the Community.

Thanks,
Noris

1 Like

I think I’d like this too as I have plenty of mp3 versions of CDs I ripped many years ago when I though 128kbps VBR was I good idea… I don’t have many of these CDs anymore so I’d like it if Roon played the Tidal version.
However if I had duplicates of the same catalog release I’d just delete the low res versions. Is there a reason not to do this?

Thanks for creating this thread, I’ve also wished for this feature.

Not to hijack the thread but it would also be useful to have the radio select either the two channel or multi channel version of tracks. Just like having multiple sample rates I have two channel versions of my multi-channel tracks. When I’m at my two channel system it would be nice to only play the two channel versions.

The reason not to do is because not all “High Res” files sounds better as the standard CD files. I am not talking about MP3 versions.
Your suggestion to Roon to play the “best” quality available doesn’t mean the best for your ears :hear_no_evil:

Not sure who you’re replying too? I can’t see where I suggesting Roon playing the best version. In my opinion, best is completely subjective and Roon should certainly not entertain any suggestion of trying to work this out.

I would appreciate a similar feature that would play a Qobuz/Tidal version if the local versions sampling is less. Or, some similar option. To an earlier post’s point- I have a number of ripped files that are horrendous, because that’s how we did it in the early days.