Is there a way to repair a corrupt database?

After migrating to running Roon on a QNAP from a Windows PC, I have been experiencing a lot of issues. As soon as I restore from backup the system constantly crashes. I’ve tried restoring from the 3 different backups I have but none of them seem to be corrupted. Here is a small part of the logs.

09.08.19-22:37:06 — Running
09.08.19-22:37:50 — Error
09.08.19-22:37:52 — Initializing
09.08.19-22:37:52 — Started
09.08.19-22:37:57 — Running
09.08.19-22:38:43 — Error
09.08.19-22:38:45 — Initializing
09.08.19-22:38:45 — Started
09.08.19-22:38:47 — Not responding
09.08.19-22:38:52 — Running

If I do a fresh install of Roon Server everything works fine. The odd thing is that Roon Server was working fine on the QNAP for about a week now. I havent made any sw or hw changes to my system. Any help would be appreciated. I would hate to lose all these years of data.

This seems very like the behaviour I’m having with my ROCK install and a couple of other Windows users so it sounds like something is wrong somewhere

Might be a hardware error (bad RAM) maybe.

Things keep just getting weirder. The RoonAppliance process has my QNAP CPU pegged at 95-100% utilization. I am not even using Roon right now. In fact, I disconnected from the core on the QNAP and went back to the one on my Windows PC. Stopping and restarting RoonServer does not help. Not sure if its related but I see free memory almost completely used up. I have 20gb of RAM.

An other user reported this:

If it helps – great, if not, it should do no harm to your Roon installation.

Thank you to everyone that replied. I think I have it figured out. I went back to my Windows Roon machine and restored from a backup a few weeks old. Unfortunately, after a successful restore, Roon on this machine also became unstable as it was trying to scan my library and add new music I have added since the last backup. Over the past week I have added over 10 new albums so I had to remove them all from the music library folder and add each album back one at a time to see if my system became unstable. Of course, it was the last album I added that was the problem. Once I removed it, Roon worked again on the Windows machine. I then made a backup and restored it in Roon running on the QNAP. So far, everything is working again though the CPU usage is still 100%! Looking at the logs in the Roonserver folder it seems that a full analysis is being done to my library again. I am not sure why this is required since I restored from a backup. I will let it run for a while to see if it settles down.

I’m pretty sure it’s because of that. :slightly_smiling_face:
Roon doesn’t know about your reasons for restoring a backup. The used backup could have been ages old. So analyzing your library to look what’s there and how it matches to the contents of the database is a must do after restoring a backup.

Hi @tboooe,

I’m glad you were able to figure this out!

Do you still have this media? Would you be willing to share it with us via a shared Dropbox link in a PM so that I can pass it along to the team so they can take a look?

Sure. Just let me know to share it.

PM sent @tboooe

Hi @tboooe,

The team tried to reproduce this issue and we aren’t seeing this media cause a crash on our end. We were hoping you could do the following:

• Confirm that all of the tracks currently in the watched folder have imported (you can verify this by going to Settings > Storage)
  • Make a backup of your Roon database
  • Once you’ve confirmed no import is occurring, navigate to Settings > Library > Clean Up Library. Run Clean Up Library for all options.
  • Try re-importing the media

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.