Is there a way to tell roon to identify an album newly found on my disk to be the one I manually found in the roon Internet db?

I just downloaded an album file to my local hard drive and roon pulls it into my local roon db but failed to identify it. When I manually search the album on the roon db (extranet one), I do see the album I am looking for and would like to know if there is a way to force-pair them. If not, are there ways to help roon match my drive file to the right album on roon internet db such as manually adding vital meta data to my drive file?

On Roon’s page for the album, you should be seeing “Unidentified” in blue. Click on that link. You get to a window labeled “Album Editor”. Click on “Identify Album”. A set of alternative metadata possibilities is shown. If one of them matches what you know about your album, click on that. You get to a pages labeled “Let’s make sure everything is in order”. Sometimes the available metadata is missing info like track length, sometimes there are worse metadata issues, like wrong track order of different numbers of tracks. You’ll have to decide whether the metadata is good enough.

There are more options in this process, but the above should be enough to get you started.

Thank you for your kind reply. I have used the “Identify Album” feature many times and after some hunting around, I find albums of interest maybe 60% of the time. For about a few percent of time time, I do see the album if manually searched but roon cannnot match it to my drive file even after many iterations of the “Identify Album” attempts.

Hi @shinyc,

Can you provide some screenshots of an example of this? What is the album? What are the search results showing when you try to identify? Where are you seeing the album elsewhere in Roon?

Do you have Tidal or Qobuz? If you do, you may be able to find the album on one of those services searching in Roon, but the metadata that the service uses is not available to Roon to identify local albums. That’s an unfortunate consequence of how the streaming services restrict metadata use.

What is the album?

What are the search results showing when you try to identify? (#1)

What are the search results showing when you try to identify? (#2)

Where are you seeing the album elsewhere in Roon?

Well noted. Thank you.

Example I gave you previously can be misleading because roon does present a match even though that is not the match (Qobuz one) I was looking for. So here is another example:

From the US, I don’t find that album on Qobuz. In addition, allmusic.com, one of the main metadata providers to Roon, does not have it. However, that album is represented in Discogs. I can’t recall the reason, but Discogs is not/cannot be a metadata source for Roon :slightly_frowning_face:

Hi @shinyc,

For the first example it looks like we do have some data on this — Can you try using the search terms Antal Doráti and Dvorak: Symphony No.9; Kodály: Háry Janos Suite?

For the second example, it doesn’t look like our metadata providers have information about this album so it cannot be identified.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.