Is this all I need for hardware/software for a hifiberry endpoint?

With HiFi Berry OS?

If so, did you install RoonBridge or is HiFiBerry OS Roon Ready?

Or are you using AirPlay?

Thanks

same with hifiberry :wink:

I am not selling the thingā€¦
I just came here like any noob looking for advice and everyone was raving on ropiee, which I used for a whileā€¦

All Iā€™m saying is that hifiberry OS worked much better for me and so far I havenā€™t seen any obvious advantage of Ropieee (when using HB HATā€™s of course)

I just want other newbies to have a broader view on the available options should they stumble on this thread

2 Likes

just flash the card and you can play music in 5 minutes - by the way, initial install doesnā€™t require a latte. More like a quick single malt shot.
Seen and recognized by Roon by device name and type, even device icon is available

1 Like

Itā€™s definitely not single purpose letā€™s not get carried away.

Sorry I donā€™t get your point, care to rephrase?

Hifi berry

The following services are supported out-of-the-box:

• Airplay 1
  • Bluetooth
  • Squeezelite
  • Spotify

Also included is an mpd instance. However, this isnā€™t used yet. We plan to use it in the future to provide a list of web radios.

HiFiBerryOS also includes our DSPToolkit. You can use it to program your HiFiBerry DAC+ DSP or Beocreate amplifier.

Ropieeee
RoPieee provides a ready-to-go image that runs Roon Bridge and enables your USB port for playing audio over an USB DAC. Without any intervention.

Furthermore RoPieee supports the well-known audio HATā€™s and it can use the original 7ā€ Raspberry Pi touchscreen for display and control purposes. Finally RoPieee also has support for RF-based remote controls like the OSMC Remote Control.

Now I understand - that is an older out of date blog entry I think

current info is here
https://www.hifiberry.com/hifiberryos/

Hereā€™s a screenshot from my hifiberry os config page listing all possible sources. Roon is definitely available. And a screenshot from Roon settings showing the hb device as an endpoint.

No my point is that the berry OS contains Spotify etc etc. It isnt a single use OS.
Ropieee is and has ropieee XL for all the other gubbins.
Some people just want a single shot OS.

indeed some people want all sorts of weird thingsā€¦

1 Like

Thatā€™s life :wink:

I have yet to find a really good source on the logistics of using a 7" touchscreen with Hifiberry online: connecting it to a rpi 4, powering it (assume it would need separate power as to not pull power from the DAC?), and with a case thatā€™s actually available (lots of pointers online to open-backed cases like the Bamboo frame but nothing current that I can find). The RoPieee Getting Started guide by Nathan Wilkes is great but Iā€™m wondering if anyone has successfully built this solution with a current Hifiberry? Full disclosure: I just ordered my HifiB this weekend so havenā€™t actually seen one in person yet, it may more obvious once I have parts in hand.

I built a RoPieee endpoint not too long ago using the HiFiBerry Amp2 and the following case (no affiliation with seller, though I have ordered a lot through them):

The case is compatible with all Raspberry Pi models.

Thanks for the pointer! I wasnā€™t sure if the HifiB would fit behind this thing with the hat, so great to know that youā€™ve had success. Iā€™ll add it to the list of things to play with down the road. :slight_smile:

What OS are you running? If Ropieee, how did you configure it as in what audio hat did you select?
I see HIFIBERRYOS

So, having read through this thread Iā€™ve ordered a Raspberry Pi 3b+, Hifi Berry ProDAC+ and other bits & pieces (power, case etc) with a view to try and have a roon ready network dac I can plug into an amp. Iā€™ll just use it for roon, so what is best OS, Hifiberry or RoPieeeXL?
Thanks
Ian

Ropieee xl works great. Easy to use and supported here.

1 Like

Thanks, set up and running first time, works a treat. Used as a test of a line in to my Sonos ZP100, so I can sync my main listening area (non Sonos) to other parts of the house using Sonos. Eventually, the plan is to replace the Sonos ZP100/120s with 2 channel amps and group with Roon only.

1 Like

So, now also have a Pi 4/Allo Boss Dac on my Sonos ZP120 and made up a Pi4/HifiBerry AMP2 to replace my faulty Sonos Play 5 (just waiting on some speakers). Can now sync all but one of my zones with Roon. Itā€™s addictive this stuff.

1 Like

You alone would be the best judge of what is best. Having tried both, for me Hifiberry OS was the better of the two, as certain things were not working well or at all in Ropiee (I couldnā€™t make the remote control work at all and the Airplay integration had some funky volume issues. BTW, that was a while ago so these might have been solved in the meantime).
But itā€™s so easy to try both thereā€™s no reason not to. If you have a spare micro SD you can flash the hifiberry OS on it and just swap the cards.

1 Like

Thanks Dan. Iā€™ve gone for a mix - RoieeeXL on the 2 DACs and HiFiBerry OS on the AMP2 because I want to use the equaliser functionality with the AMP2. Both OS seem to work well enough at the moment, with the 2 DACs wired to Sonos ZP100/ZP120 amps. Plan on getting a remote for the AMP2, so good to know this works.

1 Like