Is this message purporting to be from Roon genuine? [Yes, new account security feature]

Maybe something Roon just started doing? I’ve never had it happen before. I wonder what support will say.

IN my case, I don’t use a VPN and I have been logging in from the same home network and ISP that I have used for the past 5 or 6 years.

I have just been to my gym, so switched my computer off while away from home. Just got back, logged in and I have immediately received yet another email security alert from Roon. I’ve never had an alert of this sort prior to this morning.

Something is definitely not working optimally at the Roon end!

It appears to be an alert similar to those from other websites with enhanced security. Those sites have something in place that knows if you have logged in from a known point of entry. First time you log in from a browser you get additional security questions for verification. Something gets recorded so the next time your point of entry is known.

It this case it doesn’t seem to be retaining the previous point of entry but the checking process has been added.

Roon has been advertising a security update on May 31 and it seems to have started about that time. Perhaps it is related to that update.

I get the email every time I log in now.

Is this only occuring where members have the Roon core on the PC they are using.
So shutting off that PC obviously shuts down Roon core.

I ask because I have rock running on a nuc that I never shut down and when I shut my PC off it never logs me out of Roon.

This doesn’t appear to have anything to do with the core. It is the browser access to the community forum that is triggering the email notification. If I log out of the forum and back in I get the email.

Ah, well the ops initial post did not say the forum, it said his account.
So is it just for the Roon forum we are referring to here then?

"The message stated that someone (relatively local to me) has just logged into my Roon account from a new device, and asking me to follow a link "

Hey folks,

Our team recently implemented some account security features which will notify you of new logins, these emails are genuine. You will also get notification emails when your password or email address is changed.

Please note that we use your location may be inaccurate since it’s estimated using your IP address. It’s not uncommon for these emails to report you being a town or two over.

There are also some cases where the location is always reported as North Carolina, which we are working to resolve. You’ll probably see this if you log in to our translation or live radio admin tools.

@dylan So every time I log into the forum I will get a warning email? If so I won’t log in any more.

AFAIK, the key word is “new” - if you or your browser logs you in on a known device/location, you shouldn’t get an email (I would hope!).

No - I run Roon Rock on an Intel NUC & the core has not been shut down today.

From the numerous posts above this does not appear to be the case it seems.

Hi @Dylan,

But why have I started receiving these emails today?

I have been using the same PC, same home network and ISP that I was using prior to today. Nothing has changed, but I now receive an email security alert every time I log in which insinuates that someone has logged into my account from a new device.

Surely this is not what you intended to happen with your new account security features?

There does appear to be a glitch in the process. I’m not logging in from different computers or browsers. Same machine same browser, log in get the email, log out and back in, get the email. The login device is not getting registered so it appears to be new every time.

1 Like

There have been 2000 active users today - I don’t think 2000 emails have been sent out, otherwise this topic would have collapsed under its own weight…

@Geoff_Coupe I typically have cookies blocked on my iPad Safari browser, to log into Roon I have to allow cookies, so I left them allowed and logged into and out of the forum 3 times, and received 3 emails?

My emails showed the same location.

Affirmative

This is an example I was referring to @Geoff_Coupe

Anyway it does appear to be a bug as well so that’s enough for me.
Over and out!

I think this is the source of confusion. It is expected behavior that you receive a security alert every time you log in to one of our services from any device. But we use the word “new” which suggests otherwise. I’ll run it by the team to see if we can make this clearer.

I have just tried accessing Roon on my main system for the first time today using my Win10 PC app , and was made to log in - the first time I recall having to do this since I first started using Roon.

Interestingly, I hasn’t required to login on my iPad app on my 2nd system.

Is this connected to today’s security issues?

Edit: Just realised that this might be because I changed my password as a precaution when I received my first security alert email from Roon when I logged into the Roon forum this morning.

…and of course received yet another email security alert warning me from Roon warning me that a new device had attempted to log in when I logged in on my Win10 app.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.