Is Tidal in trouble?

I think having 6 months of cash on hand is business as usual for most startups. I would have killed for that kind of runway when I ran my startup. :slight_smile:

They’ll raise another round and keep plugging away - or get sold and (best case) rolled into another service. If the latter, I hope that transition is handled smoothly vis-a-vis all the hardware and software (ahem) Tidal integrates with.

That’s how I go after new releases in Tidal (from HDTracks and ProStudioMasters listings). That said, I find it better than Spotify actually.

I’ve cancel my Tidal subscription sometimes ago and have sign up for Spotify streaming. There’s not much new release and collection of albums especially in classical and Jazz sections, while Spotify has a huge catalog of these and on top it has compilation which I playback for hours.

Sound quality is good enough for causal listening and hoping Spotify will offer lossless CD streaming soon. Qobuz is tempting(expensive) because I can stream lossless Hi-Res up to 24/192k. All these can be playback through my Aries Mini and Holo Spring R2R DAC.

I trialled Deezer just before Christmas but found out that the only way to get flac quality is to use their standalone app, no mobile support, and there’s no way to control the output, exclusive mode, etc. This was my main reason for dropping it rather quickly. Maybe they’ll change this when they get into bed with MQA.

Additionally it’s VERY Radio orientated, you can’t add more than 1000 of anything to your library (albums, tracks, tracks in playlists, etc), or rather you can but it’s not visible, weirdly, as far as I understood it, it’s all geared round it’s random play modes from the overall catalogue of titles. It really doesn’t lend itself to making a good virtual library.

Hopefully, the interface with Roon would resolve the interface issues.(first paragraph stuff)

I’d be happy to have better radio options (artist similar play) than what’s currently offered in Roon or the Tidal app for music discovery. I find the “play artist radio” type of feature available in Apple music and Spotify to be superior, but have inferior streaming quality.

A couple of points:

• firstly let’s try to keep the conversation about Tidal rather than each others’ posts;

• Danny briefly described the data required for Roon to do a deep integration wiht other services as it has with Tidal in this post;

• Discussion between users as to whether Roon should opt for a lower quality of integration with a wider variety of streaming services is absolutely a valid topic, but this thread isn’t the best place for that discussion to occur. I’d suggest opening a new thread or adding to an existing thread in Feature Requests to that effect.

5 Likes

Have you tried it since Roon 1.4?

My biggest concern about Tidal is Roons issue with playback of late. It’s driving me nuts and Mr Misses totally unable to play a playlist she made via Roon. It may be Tidal bandwidth that’s an issue but either way it’s not a great experience at the moment. I’ve used tidal since it changed from Wimp and never had issues until December 2017.

Are you still having those problems Simon? I went through a phase of Tidal tracks being skipped for no reason ( reselect them and they play OK) but it is back to its slick operating self through Roon now.

Yes much like a lot of others. Search the forum.you will find a.wealh.of.otners having the same issues.

1 Like

I’m new to Roon and Tidal.

One of the things I like about Google Music is that each artist has a “top tracks” of sorts. Kind of like a greatest hits. Does Tidal have this because I can’t find it.

There are Top 20 (albums and tracks) tabs in Tidal, and a recommended artist tab (in What’s New)

Just select any artist within Roon and scroll down a bit and you will see this.

Not sure how I missed that. I’ll look again.

This may just bring up things in your library and not from the whole of Tidal. Which is not quite what you are looking for.

Why doesn’t Tidal have that? Maybe have each band’s 20 most popular songs. Wouldn’t that make sense?

Gotta say when I’m doing casual listening I might have to use my Sonos connect just to access Google music. Shame as I was really hoping to be able to cancel Google music and just use Tidal.

Not Correct. It will bring up Top Tracks for artists whom you do not have in your library.

and @Henry_McLeod

I had switched from Tidal to Qobuz in December for the same problems you mentioned, but really missing the integration with Roon :frowning: - so I thought I’d see yesterday if I could wangle another free month… bingo!!

Touch wood, Tidal’s behaving itself at least for now; enjoying it a lot more with consistent streaming, that’s for sure!

Yes, it’s certainly improved, but doesn’t yet compare with similar features in Spotify and Apple music. I’m looking forward to the ability to include all of the Tidal library in the radio feature on Roon.

1 Like

SoundCloud article, not positive about streaming services…