Is Tidal in trouble?

Sure there is Dick! Listen quickly :grin:

3 Likes

Bring on Qobuz in the U.S. I cant play lossless music on my iphone with Deezer ,only 320 kbps.

to suggest that classical, jazz, or any other genre is more “mature” than another is inane.
unless, of course, you are just saying it’s been around longer or that you have just stopped listening to new music :slight_smile:

Im suggesting Qobuz promotes content for a more mature audience and the content it promotes is more mature in general.

How that can be deemed “inane” is beyond my understanding.

Unfortunately I can’t upload JPG’s anymore for some reason on this forum or I’d show you an example, im getting a “Rich Sex” album coming up as a featured album in Tidal showing a scantily clad woman in a swimsuit. Hardly very mature.

Suggest you check your facts before accusing someone of being inane.

you have a narrow definition of mature. some people close their minds to things at some point, others continue to explore. this applies not just to music but to life in general. not sure what your definition of mature is but it sounds more like what i would call old and crotchety. i don’t mind looking at scantily clad women, does this make me immature? i’m 50 and more open-minded than i’ve ever been. i guess you are a bit older, but still, if someone likes a certain kind of music, so be it, nothing to do with age or maturity.

2 Likes

Hmmm consider this…Two items of featured content currently being displayed: Ray Chen from Decca (Qobuz) or Rich Sex by Lil Wayne (Tidal). Who, in their right minds would not consider the Ray Chen title as being targeted for a more mature audience?

Also, I’m talking in general terms. You clearly have a vast intellect and knowledge of music and demographics which way surpasses the average punter. Try and lower your sights a little and take the view of us mere mortals.

Good I can upload images now…

free your mind and your ass will follow

2 Likes

I am almost 50 and I haven’t a clue who Ray Chen is. But then I don’t have a clue about the other one either. Maturity has nothing at all to do with music.

3 Likes

Both providers target a socio-economic sector of any potential audience. Age may play a part but it isn’t the only factor by any stretch. The mistake would be in believing Tidal are aiming low.

4 Likes

It’s clear that a lot of Roon users really want the ‘front page’ of Tidal to be tailored to their preferences. Probably Qobuz users too because there’s pop and hiphop on the front page of Qobuz too (new releases).

We all know that once you go into genres for either service (only one click away…), this problem disappears. So it’s only about the ‘front page’.

As a fan of both Ray Chen’s music and the beautiful and talented Nicki Minaj, I wouldn’t mind seeing a more personalised front page too. Exploring other genres is still literally only one click away anyway. But the way it is right now is fine for me too. Either way, you’re only one click away from seeing what you want.

When Roon Radio has cloud capability, maybe they can have the ‘front page’ of the streaming service be more personalised? Maybe a ‘feature request’?

2 Likes

He didn’t accuse you of being inane, he said the view that your choice of genre was somehow linked to your maturity was inane.

An important distinction.

1 Like

I stand corrected :slight_smile:

very true, I was merely pointing out originally that, to me, Tidal seemed more pointed towards a younger ephemeral demographic with its featured content, which seemed incongruous to the middle aged+ audiophile MQA market. I suppose there’s nothing wrong with catering for both.

And call me an old fart, but I do prefer the proposals that Qobuz consistently makes :slight_smile:

1 Like

You old fart :dash:

:grin:

All jokes aside, I get you. I get great recommendations from Qobuz too, then I search manually in Tidal. Hopefully over time everything improves and I’m sure it will.

actually, I don’t mind the Tidal player itself. I’d just like to see a portable integration with Roon. Then I would really pitch in with Tidal properly.

That’s coming. Mobile Roon has been confirmed to be coming. No timeline of course.

2 Likes

Actually with the latest major update to the Tidal Desktop App, the ‘front page’ is now suggested tracks and suggested albums.

To get to general new releases (which used to be the ‘front page’ of the Dekstop app - and still is in Roon) you now need to go via ‘Explore’, an additional click away now.

So I kind of expect Roon’s Tidal integration to follow at some point, with a more personalised ‘front page’, which should make everyone more happy I would assume.

2 Likes

Ah shit, can Tidal do anything right? COYS! :slight_smile:

Is this more scaremongering or is Tidal Dead for real

Maybe someone in Roon who has contact with the Tidal management can comment

I am considering stopping “collecting” in favor of streaming from Tidal, it will weigh heavily in my decision making if Tidal is genuinely dying

Mike