Isn't there any Metal?

Can’t wait for the new album. It drops on October 4th.

Speaking of reviews. Many moons ago, a Danish hi-fi magazine had a review of Tygers of Pantang’s Crazy Nights. The critic started the review something like this: “Well, I don’t usually like heavy metal…” and then went on to bashing the album to pieces :thinking:. Needless to say, I bought the record :smile:.

1 Like

For those off you who like Post Hardcore I can really recommend Dance Gavin Dance.
They just released remasters off their records and they are awesome!

RoonShareImage-637042636874162209
This band is often compared to “Tool” (guess what you want), but it’s about that way.
Band founder is the former Opeth drummer Martin Lopez.

2 Likes

RoonShareImage-637042666154620790

After 13 years, this band finally releases an album again. I would call the style progressive melodic death thrash metal. The only weak point I would chalk the vocals, which seems a bit uncharismatic for me.
But if you like this band I would definitely recommend the single “Alea” (an appetizer on this album), which I find really great and the album “Back to Times of Splendor”, which I’m not the only one who call this a masterpiece.

Amazed to see Mgla mentioned here. Amazing band if you can ignore the controversies. I’ve been listening to a ton of black metal recently. Also check out Farvegir Fyrndar by Auðn. https://audnofficial.bandcamp.com/album/farvegir-fyrndar

1 Like

Thanks. Black metal is one of my favorite genres. I just ignore eventual controversy’s and focus on the music.

I’ll will certainly checkout your recommendation. I am always hunting for new bands.

1 Like

A few other black metal faves of mine.

1 Like

Nice collection. My favorites in that list are Alcest, Drudkh and Uada.

If you don’t know them yet, check out The Infernal Sea. Their album ‘The Great Mortality’ is pretty awesome. Also Netherbird, Vredehammer, Windswept, a Drudkh side project, Worsen, and the latest Kampfar.

If you are into death metal try Allegaeon, Tribe of Pazuzu, the new In Mourning called ‘Garden of Storms’, Infant Annihilator, Gorod, Obscura!!, Vale of Pnath and Inanimate Existence.

These are all albums I really like. But my favorite of the year so far is:

Arch/Matheos - Winter Ethereal

A great progressive metal album with fantastic vocals by the very first vocalist of Fates Warning.

RoonShareImage-637059262665501590

Amazing new In Mourning album. Since I first heard them in 2008 I have been impressed by them.

Thanks. A few names there I don’t know. I’m a big Alcest fan and already have the new album, but only 320 MP3 at the moment. It’s incredible.

Yea, I really like Alcest. That must be a promo. You write for a magazine/webzine?

Yeah, I run a music blog called Montreal Rocks.

1 Like

12 days without new entries? I think we have to keep this thread alive.
I have already reserved the new Alcest album, of course the 24-bit version. I think we will not be disappointed.
One band I miss in the Black Metal area is “Dark Funeral”. I think they do a damn good job, even without keyboards. Alone tracks like “Unachain my Soul” or “Ravenno strigoi mortii” should convince everyone.
Do not get me wrong, I also like music with orchestra and keyboards, like “Dimmu Borgir” or “Cradle of Filth”, but this band also manages to create a certain atmosphere without it.

Regarding Alcest: Does anyone know “Sylvaine”? It’s a female fronted black-gaze / shoe-gaze band, which sounds very similar to “Alcest”. This isn’ hardly surprising, as “Neige” from “Alcest” plays drums with this band.

Metal stuff is being posted in the main thread fairly regularly

Here’s one worth checking out