Issue adding Qobuz albums to Roon

I‘ve also been having this issue for the past month or so. I‘m running RoonCore on a Mac Mini that‘s rebooted everyday. I access Roon via my iPad Pro (2018) and Mac Pro (2008). When I try to add albums from Qobuz to my library, I get the error message that „adding the the album is taking longer than usual…“ and nothing seems to happen. When I click on Add to Library again, the album then appears to be added (I can see the litte hearts next to the tracks), but there is no album artwork, just a grey plaid pattern. Also when I go to Overview all of the newly added albums just have the grey pattern instead of album art. I‘ve tried logging out and logging back into Qobuz, clearing the album art cache, changing the size of memory allocated to album art, turning off my iPad completely and turning back on. I have the same problem on both the iPad and the Mac Pro. Also, now whenever I‚m logged into Roon, the rotating circle in the upper right is always rotating.

Hi @Edward_Kohl,

I would try clearing out your TIDAL/Qobuz cache. Please let me know if this helps:

• Exit out of Roon
  • Find and open your Roon database
  • Navigate to /Library/Roon/Cache
  • Move the contents of the /Cache folder elsewhere, like your desktop
  • Try restarting Roon and verify if the issue still occurs

Thanks, Noris.

I tried this and it didn’t work. I tried clearing both the cache folder in the Library/Roon folder and the Library/RoonServer folder. I exited out of Roon first.

I noticed that you split my post to a new thread. The reason I posted it where I did was because I’m also having the issue with Metadata Improver being halted:

I thought this Metadata Improver issue was related to this issue of adding Qobuz albums.

Hi @Edward_Kohl,

Thanks for giving the cache clear a try.

Yes, I split you out because it’s best to troubleshoot this issue on a case-by-case basis.

Let’s proceed as follows:

1. Log out of TIDAL via the Roon Settings -> Services tab
  2. Exit out of Roon
  3. Perform the cache clear once more
  4. Reboot the Core
  5. Open Roon and log back into TIDAL
  6. Note the exact local time + date you logged back into TIDAL
  7. Verify if the message still occurs, and if it does, let me know the timestamp here (timestamp example: logged into TIDAL at 4:11PM on 3/24/20).
1 Like

Thank you. I followed the steps you outlined with Qobuz (I currently don’t have a Tidal account) but I am still getting the same error message. I logged in to Qobuz at 10:41 Central European Time (CET) on 25 March 2020.

Hi @Edward_Kohl,

Thanks for running that test. Just to confirm, you performed this test on your Mac Mini as the Core, correct? I have enabled diagnostics mode and what this action does is automatically upload a log-set to our servers next time your Mac Mini is online.

Since you mentioned you have a Mac Pro here as well, can you please let me know if the same issue occurs when using the Mac Pro as the Roon Core? You can do this by going to Roon Settings -> General on the Mac Pro and then click Disconnect -> Use this PC as the Core.

Hi Noris, I followed your instructions and the error message has gone away and now I can add albums from Qobuz without any issues. However, running Roon Core on the Mac Pro is not an option: it is much larger, consumers more power and has a monitor; whereas the Mac Mini is much smaller, consumes less power and I’m running it headless. There are a few other reasons as well as relating to the location of the Mac Pro. I noticed that all of my tags are now gone. I assume this has to do with the switching to the Mac Pro and I assume that I will be able to restore these. Should I try switching back to the Mac Mini?

Hi @Edward_Kohl,

Thanks for trying the Mac Pro, this at least confirms that the behavior is specific to the Core and not to your network setup or Qobuz account.

Yes, your tags, playlist, play history and metadata edits reside in the Mac Mini Roon Database. Since you have switched Roon Cores, your database is also a fresh one.

What I suggest you do here is the following:

1. Switch back to your Mac Mini Core
  2. Create a Backup of your Mac Mini Roon Database
  3. Perform a reinstall of Roon on the Mac Mini and have it start with a fresh database:
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Reinstall the Roon App to generate a new Roon database folder
  1. Verify if the fresh database works as expected

2. If it works as expected and you are able to add a Qobuz album to the library only then try restoring the backup you made in step #1

3. Verify if the behavior is still resolved after the backup has been restored

Hi Noris,
It worked. Everything seems to be functioning normally now. I will keep testing over the weekend but it seems like the problem is fixed. Thanks for the quick support and clear instructions!

1 Like

Happy to help @Edward_Kohl! Do let me know how further testing goes.

Hi Noris, unfortunately, the problem came back this morning. I’m again getting the error message about Metadata Improver being halted and having the issue with adding albums from Qobuz. I’m not sure if this is related, but yesterday I started noticing that album art was not loading on Qobuz albums. I restarted by iPad and that seemed to fix, at least until this morning.

Hi @Edward_Kohl,

Sorry to hear the issue is back. I’m looking over your diagnostics and I’m noticing quite a few Name Resolution Errors in your logs. I suggest that you change your router’s DNS servers to use Cloudflare , Quad9 or Google. Can you give that a try and let me know if it helps with these issues?

Thanks, I can’t change the DNS server on my router/DSL modem, but I’ve change the DNS to Cloudflare in the network settings of my Mac Mini which is running Roon server. Unfortunately, that didn’t fix the issue. Any other ideas? Thanks, Edward

Hi @Edward_Kohl,

Can you please provide some more information regarding your network setup? What is the model/manufacturer of your networking gear?

If you have hotspot capabilities on your phone, could you try temporarily connecting your Core to the hotspot, reboot the Core and verify if the same error message appears on the hotspot?

Hi Noris, I connected my Core directly to my Router/DSL Modem via ethernet cable. Now, the error message about Meta Data improver has gone away, which is good. Before, it was connected to a Cisco switch and the switch was connected to the Router/DSL Modem. However, still on a regular basis, artwork does not load or takes a long time to load on my iPad. However, this seems to only happen on my iPad. When I use Roon on my Mac Pro, which is connected via ethernet cable to the Cisco switch, the artwork loads fine. So I guess it’s a problem with the WiFi? Do you have any Network troubleshooting guides. Ideally, I would like to go back to using the switch, which worked fine for several years and only recently started causing the error message. Thanks, E.

Hi @Edward_Kohl,

Glad to hear that the direct connection has helped!

Is there any change in behavior if you try reinstalling the Roon app from the Apple App Store on your iPad?

Yes, we do: Networking Best Practices Guide

2 posts were split to a new topic: Qobuz long time to load + metadata issues

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.